News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

GimpYancIent

you can be sure it will be more modern and less interesting... I have given up waiting for them to undertake a project at the hotels that actually turns out more beautiful...instead of less interesting and more serviceable...more Marriott-like.
Sad! To stay on property was part of the experience not just staying in a hotel. If I want to stay at a Marriott, Hilton or Holiday Inn I would stay off property and do that. Eroding the uniqueness of the on property resorts further damages the Disney "Magic" appeal.

UNCgolf

I personally don't always understand the appeal of Starbucks' as places people hang out, so I understand you personally probably dont enjoy hanging out in hotel lobbies, but a nice lobby is a fine place to be! Or at least was....

I love nice hotel lobbies. It's not about me personally -- as I've said, I love the Grand Floridian lobby, especially when you could listen to the orchestra.

It's that Disney is actively trying to avoid sending people to their lobbies (for the most part) and the lobbies just aren't used the way they were in the past. You do bring up a good point about special displays at the lobbies, though. The Grand Floridian often has stuff there to see during different holidays. I hope that continues and doesn't get cut.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Why do I get the feeling that all the beautiful, dark, woodwork isn't coming back...
The redesign looks to be very wood themed.

0422435C-A84F-4F8B-9360-4699719E6360.jpeg

DisneyOutsider

Active word being "looks" - the back pylons are obviously concrete as being planted now.
You mean the footers that are supporting the weight of the structure? 😆😆

Look, I hope it retains it's wooden charm as well, but the old platform was a few bad days from having a REALLY bad day. Let's save our outrage for something more worthy. Still a ways left to go on this one.

Bocabear

The redesign looks to be very wood themed.

View attachment 532980
If it actually ends up looking this good and the water features return, I would not mind so much, but this is a concept only...Who knows what value engineering has happened since this was released... I hate feeling so negative about this, but their track record so far has not been very good.

aladdin2007

If it actually ends up looking this good and the water features return, I would not mind so much, but this is a concept only...Who knows what value engineering has happened since this was released... I hate feeling so negative about this, but their track record so far has not been very good.

Isn't this under Ridley's direction? He has destroyed Epcot, so I have little hope for this, except for the hope in the concept art.

EPCOTCenterLover

Is the theme of the Polynesian an attempt to actually re-create Polynesian culture and architecture such that you think you're on a Polynesian island?

Or, is the theme the 1950s-1960's Tiki-kitsch which is an Americanized stew of stereotypical Hawaiian/Polynesian culture?
Either one works for me! :)

Disney Analyst

You mean the footers that are supporting the weight of the structure? 😆😆

Look, I hope it retains it's wooden charm as well, but the old platform was a few bad days from having a REALLY bad day. Let's save our outrage for something more worthy. Still a ways left to go on this one.

Also, the old platform needed to go due to (and let me know if I’m wrong) major wood rot issues.

I almost guarantee most of the new structure will be cement sculpted to look like wood. As much of modern Disney wood architecture is for outdoor use.

Dr.GrantSeeker

I was walking around the grounds at the Poly this past weekend and noticed one of the curtains was opened on a ground floor room in Hawaii. It was completely untouched other than the beds appearing to be moved to the opposite corner of the room. Do we know if Disney is planning on opening these building in phases or all at once? I recall the announcement for the Poly to reopen was sometime this summer, but if there are some rooms/building that haven't began to get gutted I wonder how late in summer it will open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom