News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Dutch Inn '76

The original Poly lobby was a simple square perimeter, and two of the three things you complained about were fully visible right as you enter the front door. Seating surrounded the middle structure on all sides, including the front. You could also sit on the side of the structure if the seats were taken. The check in you don't even need to make any effort to turn or look right, it's comfortably and clearly within peripheral view even looking forward. There was also another large seating area to the left against the front window. Bocabear was being perfectly polite to you, the comments you made are objectively false.

Several shops and restaurants were also quite visible from the entrance. You could still see through the middle section (even the lagoon out back), and also above to the second floor. You had to walk around the perimeter to reach them, but again this is a simple square perimeter, not a maze...

My comments were not false. They were an opinion, as I've said. The only part of what I said before that wasn't opinion was the fact that there was not enough seating before. I remember being there with our family of 12, and there wasn't enough room for us to even stand without taking up half of the pathway. Seating was out of the question.

dsinclair

Is the theme of the Polynesian an attempt to actually re-create Polynesian culture and architecture such that you think you're on a Polynesian island?

Or, is the theme the 1950s-1960's Tiki-kitsch which is an Americanized stew of stereotypical Hawaiian/Polynesian culture?
Appropriated Tiki-kitsch, which I think is something that should be a larger part of this conversation but doesn't lend favorably to keeping things exactly as they are.

MerlinTheGoat

Is the theme of the Polynesian an attempt to actually re-create Polynesian culture and architecture such that you think you're on a Polynesian island?

Or, is the theme the 1950s-1960's Tiki-kitsch which is an Americanized stew of stereotypical Hawaiian/Polynesian culture?
The discussion here is about the original large lobby centerpiece, are you trying to claim that's offensive? It is literally just a rock and water fountain with tropical plants and live birds...

My comments were not false. They were an opinion, as I've said. The only part of what I said before that wasn't opinion was the fact that there was not enough seating before. I remember being there with our family of 12, and there wasn't enough room for us to even stand without taking up half of the pathway. Seating was out of the question.
Two of your three complains are not subjective, they are factually and provably wrong. There was ample seating around and in front of the structure as well as to the left of the entrance. Peripheral vision alone is enough to immediately spot check in even if you're staring forward. You'd have to intentionally try to look only sharply to the left to not see it.

"Confusing layout" can be subjective and based on opinion in some circumstances. But not in this case. I don't believe anyone who claims a literal square perimeter is confusing or mazelike.

aliceismad

I liked the old lobby, and it did make it seem more intimate or cozy, but I imagine it was a bit of a headache in terms of maintenance and upkeep. I also wonder if people were starting to feel it was outdated. Honestly "hotel atrium fountain" kind of brings up memories of old Embassy Suites for me. I remember the tropical fountain/garden atrium area being a draw to The Mirage in Vegas back in the 90s. It's still there, but they use the atrium garden to add ambiance to one of its restaurants. (I think Tom Colicchio's place is in that spot now?) It's interesting to me to hear some of the debates about de- or re-theming at Disney and how they mirror debates I hear about Vegas.

Last edited:

Dutch Inn '76

Two of your three complains are not subjective, they are factually and provably wrong. There was ample seating around and in front of the structure as well as to the left of the entrance. Peripheral vision alone is enough to immediately spot check in even if you're staring forward. You'd have to intentionally try to look only sharply to the left to not see it.

"Confusing layout" can be subjective and based on opinion in some circumstances. But not in this case. I don't believe anyone who claims a literal square perimeter is confusing or mazelike.
NOPE. WRONG.

UNCgolf

In a related question, does lobby seating really matter anymore?

Disney has been streamlining things to the point of removing any reason for guests to go to the lobby at all. They can just head straight to their rooms if everything works as intended. There just isn't much reason for people to sit in the lobby, unless there's some other specific reason to be there. Disney has been removing those reasons as well, though -- the old Polynesian lobby was nice to sit in because of the gardens, and the Grand Floridian lobby was great because of the orchestra, but neither of those exist now.

Of course you always want to have some seating available, but there just shouldn't ever be large groups of people waiting around to check-in and needing somewhere to sit.

aliceismad

Disney has been streamlining things to the point of removing any reason for guests to go to the lobby at all. They can just head straight to their rooms if everything works as intended. There just isn't much reason for people to sit in the lobby, unless there's some other specific reason to be there. Disney has been removing those reasons as well, though -- the old Polynesian lobby was nice to sit in because of the gardens, and the Grand Floridian lobby was great because of the orchestra, but neither of those exist now.

Of course you always want to have some seating available, but there just shouldn't ever be large groups of people waiting around to check-in and needing somewhere to sit.
But seating areas and those special touches do add to the ambiance of the hotels. Wilderness Lodge lobby and Jambo House lobby in particular are places I would enjoy spending a few relaxing minutes, especially when there are special holiday decorations. I sincerely hope that things like live music, entertainment/enrichment, etc., are planned for lobby/hotel areas in the future.

nickys

Premium Member

Sitting in a lobby of a hotel is a perfectly natural thing to be doing.

Peopel arriving to check in. Disney were trying to get more international guests staying onsite if recent years are anything to go by. They will need to check-in in person. So will anyone unfamiliar with the resort. You really can’t expect a family arriving at the Poly for the first time to know where to go to get to their room.

Then you have people waiting for family or friends to come down for breakfast or to go out. Or waiting for a taxi / ride share to arrive. Or just enjoying the ambience.

The lobby is the first thing guests see when they arrive. WL or Jambo create a stunning first impression, and people flock to see the resort as a result.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

The lobby is the first thing guests see when they arrive. WL or Jambo create a stunning first impression, and people flock to see the resort as a result.

You mean a sterile hotel lobby doesn’t draw people in? Does current TDO management know this?? (Obviously not!! 😂)

Bocabear

Condescension drips from your every word. I'm just trying to have a conversation; to give my unvarnished opinion.

This board is bad about that; everyone is trying to "outfan" each other.
I really didn't mean to be condescending, and apologize if you took it that way, but the argument that it was confusing and a maze are just false ... Seriously... Everything is in the same place right now as it was then except there is nothing in the middle of the lobby aside from a plethora of seating and a small tiki statue. I do love the lanterns hanging overhead, but not sure why the rest of the lobby had to be de-furbished to get that.
I am not trying to "Outfan" anyone... Just objectively as a designer, it is much less interesting. There are ways to have achieved a brighten an interior without the total gut job. Like it or not, the original hotels built in 71' are all architecturally significant and interesting...not the run of the mill hotels they build today...And their designs are largely timeless..

carolina_yankee

I never liked the front of the Polynesian from an image standpoint. I think the concept art looks great. I very much hope the lush water and plant features return or are enhanced (in the normal meaning of that word, not the Disney meaning).

I'm one of those who also prefers the new lobby. I liked the old one nice enough from the second floor, but not from the first. There was no place to just hangout without your party losing you if you move and it felt cramped to me. The new lobby actually feels brighter and friendlier to me.

I'm fine with people preferring the old lobby. We like what we like.

Bocabear

Peopel arriving to check in. Disney were trying to get more international guests staying onsite if event years are anything to go by. They will need to check-in in person. So will anyone unfamiliar with the resort. You really can’t expect a family arriving at the Poly for the first time to know where to go to get to their room.

Then you have people waiting for family or friends to come down for breakfast or to go out. Or waiting for a taxi / ride share to arrive. Or just enjoying the ambience.

Thing is, there was always seating in the lobby... lots of it...front half and back half...and a second floor full of seating. I don't think seating is really the issue here... It was more about having less maintenance and less to care for, theme and wow factor be-damned.
I have a feeling when the new monorail station and entrance are finished we are going to see more of the same...It will be more of an any-hotel-USA arrival...no beautiful gardens, fountains and waterfalls... No feeling of being transported to the south pacific... Just arriving at a hotel.

MerlinTheGoat

I also wonder if people were starting to feel it was outdated. Honestly "hotel atrium fountain" kind of brings up memories of old Embassy Suites for me.
Just because something exudes a non-modern appearance doesn't mean it lacks value or beauty. Modernization can often lead to a negative impact on decor as it frequently reduces detail. That said, I grew up in the 90s and never associated the lobby centerpiece with outdated looking hotels. It was a bit of natural scenery that would have continued to be beautiful itself even if the decor around it changed (and it did change, with the centerpiece remaining and looking beautiful for decades before they removed it).

One element I actually didn't like about the original 70s Poly were the green and blue square tile floors. That opinion might upset some people, but I personally prefer the slate floors they've had for the past 20-30 years (I forget when exactly they were installed). More organic looking and detailed and actually fits better with the original centerpiece IMO.

NOPE. WRONG.
Oh the urge to make a political joke...

Last edited:

Dutch Inn '76

All the reasons above are valid. In addition, consider this: we just recently spent five days at the Grand Floridian. When it came time to check out, we had a spare couple hours before Magical Express picked us up. We walked around and looked at the shops and all, but eventually we just sat in the lobby for more than an hour...

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Peopel arriving to check in. Disney were trying to get more international guests staying onsite if event years are anything to go by. They will need to check-in in person. So will anyone unfamiliar with the resort. You really can’t expect a family arriving at the Poly for the first time to know where to go to get to their room.

But seating areas and those special touches do add to the ambiance of the hotels. Wilderness Lodge lobby and Jambo House lobby in particular are places I would enjoy spending a few relaxing minutes, especially when there are special holiday decorations. I sincerely hope that things like live music, entertainment/enrichment, etc., are planned for lobby/hotel areas in the future.

I think you both missed the point I was trying to make. I wasn't saying they don't need to have any seating at all or that the lobby shouldn't look nice -- it was really a response to the argument that they had to redesign the Polynesian lobby to increase seating.

I have not seen a Disney lobby even remotely close to being full in the past 5 years. There's usually a few people scattered around and the vast majority of the seating is empty. I had to go into the POR lobby last year for something and I was literally the only person there outside of 3 CMs. That's not going to change; if anything it's going to go in the opposite direction as Disney attempts to send guests directly to their rooms in an attempt to bypass the lobby entirely (and, more importantly from Disney's perspective, reduce the amount of staff needed in those lobbies).

The lobby is very important, but it's why the old Polynesian lobby was better than what exists now -- it serves as an introduction to the hotel for anyone who actually has to go inside, so impressive and unique is good (this is, of course, a matter of opinion; it's fine to believe the current lobby is more impressive than the original). An abundance of lobby seating, though, is a holdover from older days when there were always people sitting and waiting for various things. That just doesn't exist anymore.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

All the reasons above are valid. In addition, consider this: we just recently spent five days at the Grand Floridian. When it came time to check out, we had a spare couple hours before Magical Express picked us up. We walked around and looked at the shops and all, but eventually we just sat it he lobby for more than an hour...

I basically addressed this in my other post, but I just want to clarify again -- I'm not saying lobby seating is completely unnecessary.

But I'd wager your group was one of a small handful of people in the lobby. They just aren't busy places anymore. I've been in the lobbies at the Contemporary, the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian, POR, POFQ, AKL, the Boardwalk Inn, and the Yacht Club in the past two years and never once saw more than ten people sitting in any of them.

When the Grand Floridian orchestra existed, there was actually a reason to sit in that lobby beyond needing to kill a bit of time for various reasons -- and the biggest reason to kill time was always parties waiting to check-in, which again, Disney is attempting to eliminate. While they won't be able to eliminate it entirely (as others have mentioned), it's still going to result in a significant decrease in overall lobby traffic.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I think you both missed the point I was trying to make. I wasn't saying they don't need to have any seating at all or that the lobby shouldn't look nice -- it was really a response to the argument that they had to redesign the Polynesian lobby to increase seating.

Except you literally started your post with this question:
And went on to explain why it wasn’t necessary.

That’s what I was responding to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom