News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Bocabear

Rattan mats, thatch and carved wood says Poly right?
Sure...Lots of things say Poly...If that is how low the bar is... Look there is a tiki and a torch! Done. LOL.
It is sad that they plussed the resort theming over the years with the first new pool and elaborate volcanic springs and streams...and then in the last couple refurbishments they have turned a 180 and not only removed the thematic additions but downscaled the original features out of existence... So if you want to say there is thatch and carved wood, OK...but I would sure love to see some of the magic back...not a continued diminishment.

Bocabear

I maintain that they are trying to make the Polynesian more of a 5* resort, to reflect its price. It has never really been that...
And how is removing the beautiful and tasteful thematics making this more of a 5* resort? Exactly? You achieve a 5 star status for service and amenities... premium Bedding, luxurious rooms... Having iconic and dramatic landscape and lobby features only enhances the resort... Dumbing it down to a standard Marriott Hotel, stripping it of it's character does not make it 5*

Dutch Inn '76

In my opinion, the old fountain in the center of the lobby just didn't "work." I know that I'm in the minority, but obviously The Mouse agreed with me. A hotel lobby needs seating and it has it now. More importantly, the fountain made the space confusing for new arrivals. Put that together with the seating problem and voila'! Here we are.

I agree that the lobby needed attention though, and I assume that's what we're getting now. Surely they're not spending millions of bucks to make the place worse.

Last edited:

_caleb

In my opinion, the old fountain in the center of the lobby just didn't "work." I know that I'm in the minority, but obviously The Mouse agreed with me. A hotel lobby needs seating and it has it now. More importantly, the fountain made the space confusing for new arrivals. Put that together with the seating problem and voila'! Here we are.
What was it about the old lobby that guests found confusing?
Surely they've not spending millions of bucks to make the place worse.
Are we talking about EPCOT now?

UNCgolf

I agree that the lobby needed attention though, and I assume that's what we're getting now. Surely they've not spending millions of bucks to make the place worse.

I don't think they've ever spent money intentionally trying to make something worse, but they've done it many times at WDW. Just look at Beaches & Cream as a prominent recent example.

That doesn't mean the Polynesian changes are doomed to be worse, of course. We won't know for sure until it's actually finished and open.

wdwfan22

I maintain that they are trying to make the Polynesian more of a 5* resort, to reflect its price. It has never really been that...
No Disney resort will ever be 5 stars, 4 at best. Disney is trying to modernize the Polynesian. The resort had a very dated look for quite some time. Some Disney fans loved it others not so much. The rooms desperately needed an enhancement. However i do feel disney will reduce the landscaping at the entrance as it’s just to much to maintain. However I’m confident that the resort will still have the Polynesian feel everybody loves.

Dutch Inn '76

I don't think they've ever spent money intentionally trying to make something worse, but they've done it many times at WDW. Just look at Beaches & Cream as a prominent recent example.

That doesn't mean the Polynesian changes are doomed to be worse, of course. We won't know for sure until it's actually finished and open.
We have the luxury of being critics. We get to pass judgment on their work, with almost no investment. They, on the other hand, have to dream it up, pay for it, build it, and own it. They have to unveil their work on stage, with the careers of thousands of people at risk every time. Of course they want it to be great. Can they accomplish that?? I think 8 times out of 10 they do! ...which is why we all keep coming back.

That's why I try to cut them some slack. Because they deserve it.

Dutch Inn '76

No Disney resort will ever be 5 stars, 4 at best. Disney is trying to modernize the Polynesian. The resort had a very dated look for quite some time. Some Disney fans loved it others not so much. The rooms desperately needed an enhancement. However i do feel disney will reduce the landscaping at the entrance as it’s just to much to maintain. However I’m confident that the resort will still have the Polynesian feel everybody loves.

Agreed. I appreciate the effort towards making it as good as it can be though.

Dutch Inn '76

What was it about the old lobby that guests found confusing?

I tried to think back to the first time I entered the Polynesian and spent any time there - I thought the lobby was confusing. Where's the desk? Where's the boutique? Where can I sit my family and my bags? What now? The place was a sort of a maze. Not good. Just my opinion, of course.

Bocabear

I tried to think back to the first time I entered the Polynesian and spent any time there - I thought the lobby was confusing. Where's the desk? Where's the boutique? Where can I sit my family and my bags? What now? The place was a sort of a maze. Not good. Just my opinion, of course.
The desk was directly on your right as you entered...it was not confusing unless you could not possibly turn your head...That is like people being confused because the foyer has an entry table and they can't look away from it to find the living room. No one was confused...There was also seating to the left and straight ahead when you entered... Now it is nothing but an open space and tons and tons of seating... BTW, not only did the old lobby have lots of seating, but the perimeter of the waterfall gardens in the middle were designed to act as a bench... Seating all around the entire central core... It was dramatic and unexpected...and added a bit of magic. Currently the desk in the lobby is in the same place...I guess the "seating Area" makes it less confusing for you and you can see it now.

Bocabear

Spoken like a press employee for TDO... I am sure when I go to a WDW resort the first thing I love to see is an easily maintained landscape and serviceable and usual decor.

Dutch Inn '76

The desk was directly on your right as you entered...it was not confusing unless you could not possibly turn your head...That is like people being confused because the foyer has an entry table and they can't look away from it to find the living room. No one was confused...There was also seating to the left and straight ahead when you entered... Now it is nothing but an open space and tons and tons of seating... BTW, not only did the old lobby have lots of seating, but the perimeter of the waterfall gardens in the middle were designed to act as a bench... Seating all around the entire central core... It was dramatic and unexpected...and added a bit of magic. Currently the desk in the lobby is in the same place...I guess the "seating Area" makes it less confusing for you and you can see it now.

Condescension drips from your every word. I'm just trying to have a conversation; to give my unvarnished opinion.

This board is bad about that; everyone is trying to "outfan" each other.

_caleb

EDIT: Oops, meant to tag @Dutch Inn '76! I’m genuinely interested in your opinions about the lobby.

I thought the old Polynesian lobby was the type of place that made people want to explore. But I can see how it might have thrown people off if they were just looking for the hotel lobby. I my opinion, this is the worst part about all the refurbishments and remodels on property—they keep losing the charming little places they used to be so good at creating. The lobby was one of those places for me.

I know these sorts of spaces don’t generate enough measurable revenue per square foot. But to me, all these things added up to making the place special. It’s easier to forgive vast areas of unshaded paved areas if there are also hidden little nooks that really transport a person in an intimate and personal way.

MerlinTheGoat

Condescension drips from your every word. I'm just trying to have a conversation; to give my unvarnished opinion.

This board is bad about that; everyone is trying to "outfan" each other.
The original Poly lobby was a simple square perimeter, and two of the three things you complained about were fully visible right as you enter the front door. Seating surrounded the middle structure on all sides, including the front. You could also sit on the side of the structure if the seats were taken. The check in you don't even need to make any effort to turn or look right, it's comfortably and clearly within peripheral view even looking forward. There was also another large seating area to the left against the front window. Bocabear was being perfectly polite to you, the comments you made are objectively false.

Several shops and restaurants were also quite visible from the entrance. You could still see through the middle section (even the lagoon out back), and also above to the second floor. You had to walk around the perimeter to reach them, but again this is a simple square perimeter, not a maze...

lazyboy97o

EDIT: Oops, meant to tag @Dutch Inn '76! I’m genuinely interested in your opinions about the lobby.

I thought the old Polynesian lobby was the type of place that made people want to explore. But I can see how it might have thrown people off if they were just looking for the hotel lobby. I my opinion, this is the worst part about all the refurbishments and remodels on property—they keep losing the charming little places they used to be so good at creating. The lobby was one of those places for me.

I know these sorts of spaces don’t generate enough measurable revenue per square foot. But to me, all these things added up to making the place special. It’s easier to forgive vast areas of unshaded paved areas if there are also hidden little nooks that really transport a person in an intimate and personal way.
But it’s not like they even replaced any of the space with something that generates money. The removal of the fountain was about maintenance costs and making the Polynesian “more Disney”. The fountain didn’t confuse people about checking in at the same place it is still located but it blocked a newly desired view of Cinderella Castle.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

To me, the old lobby looked very retro. In some ways opening it up was an improvement, but I really loved seeing lots of orchids and bromeliads in the original structure. IMO, that's what the revised lobby lacked. On the other hand, the original lobby was a bit too dark (darks colors)

Here in 2021, living walls are very modern! So, I hope the reopening brings back the best of both versions: lots of beautiful greenery, but also keeping some of the lighter/modern feel of the newer lobby.

The other big problem of the original building was the lack of view at 'Ohana. To me, it was always an obvious missed opportunity. Only a few of the 'Ohana tables actually had a good view of the castle, but that's what people want. Cali Grill used to have the same problem. Only a few tables actually had a good view of the castle before the more recent renovation. A place like Cali Grill ought to have floor-to-ceiling windows, and tables situated such that most tables have at least a semi-decent view. If a new update = more tables have a better view, 'Ohana will be much improved. Also, given COVID-19, just...the layout of 'Ohana needed to be revised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom