News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

OG Runner

Yes it is more airy and modern...but less special overall. There is no real wow moment that everyone had when they walked through the doors...Now it is an airy hotel lobby...not the unexpected and dramatic place-setting that there once was.
I am hoping in a year we are not hearing..."Wow the arrival area outside is so open and airy...I never realized how much room the plants and water took up"...

I definitely agree with you there. It would be nice if they understood how pleasing the entrance area was and the genuine good
feeling people got from it.

aladdin2007

when you park here to go in for dining, where is the parking now? Just wondering for someone who is with me and wondering how far of a walk it may be now etc....thanks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Latest photos from the Great Ceremonial House

Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_40821.jpg

Minthorne

Yes it is more airy and modern...but less special overall. There is no real wow moment that everyone had when they walked through the doors...Now it is an airy hotel lobby...not the unexpected and dramatic place-setting that there once was.
I am hoping in a year we are not hearing..."Wow the arrival area outside is so open and airy...I never realized how much room the plants and water took up"...
But now with 63% less mold :)

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Some people are Tolerant of major construction noises. I don’t find it dreamy Or what I want in vacation.
We are staying there in May. Only open to DVC means much less crowds on property and in the pools. I think it sounds like a dream. The only downside is the monorail being down. Instead we will board from TTC when needed. No big deal.

We'll also be there in May, specifically Memorial Day weekend. I could end up misguided but I'm hoping the heavy construction will be complete and they'll be on smaller finishing touches ahead of a summer reopening.

DomVF07

We'll also be there in May, specifically Memorial Day weekend. I could end up misguided but I'm hoping the heavy construction will be complete and they'll be on smaller finishing touches ahead of a summer reopening.
We’ll be there end of July DVC as well. 🤞they can stick to this timeline on time just once. Either way will have a full report and will enjoy every min of it! Can’t wait to be back home ☺️

Bocabear

The entry fountain/garden area was due for refurb, it was overgrown and the blue painted cement ponds were starting to look like a mini golf course, all built under a highway overpass of a monorail platform. I have no doubt this is going to look (although different) much better.
While I heartily agree the area was due for a refresh, the current management has proven time and time again that their version of a refresh is to eliminate and replace with grass and "serviceable" landscape. Now that it has been completed removed, I feel certain the replacement will be a de-theming of the area...

Dutch Inn '76

While I heartily agree the area was due for a refresh, the current management has proven time and time again that their version of a refresh is to eliminate and replace with grass and "serviceable" landscape. Now that it has been completed removed, I feel certain the replacement will be a de-theming of the area...
The Polynesian is usually the most expensive resort at WDW. I'm confident that The Mouse won't skimp too much; especially in the entrance/lobby area.

Bocabear

The Polynesian is usually the most expensive resort at WDW. I'm confident that The Mouse won't skimp too much; especially in the entrance/lobby area.
They already gutted the Lobby leaving it "pleasant" but a far cry from the spectacular arrival you used to have...when the outdoor water features continued inside giving it a feeling of blurred lines between inside and outside... Now it is just a lobby. Also going away in a recent refurbishment was the stream and volcanic spring that led to the pool area... replaced by a plain lawn. There was no gain from doing this at the most expensive resort on property... It all just looks less and less special. "pleasant "and "serviceable" should not be words to describe a $450.00+/night hotel

Dutch Inn '76

They already gutted the Lobby leaving it "pleasant" but a far cry from the spectacular arrival you used to have...when the outdoor water features continued inside giving it a feeling of blurred lines between inside and outside... Now it is just a lobby. Also going away in a recent refurbishment was the stream and volcanic spring that led to the pool area... replaced by a plain lawn. There was no gain from doing this at the most expensive resort on property... It all just looks less and less special. "pleasant "and "serviceable" should not be words to describe a $450.00+/night hotel
I didn't care for the indoor "water feature" that used to sit in the middle of the Lobby. I think the Lobby was better after they removed it. I'm very curious what it will look like next though...

UNCgolf

I didn't care for the indoor "water feature" that used to sit in the middle of the Lobby. I think the Lobby was better after they removed it. I'm very curious what it will look like next though...

I've heard people say they understood why the changes were made from the old lobby to the new and didn't begrudge them, but they still preferred the old -- honestly think you're the first person I've ever heard say they like the new lobby more.

For me, the old lobby was the biggest reason to visit the Polynesian. It was wonderful. The new lobby is basically just a standard hotel lobby.

Last edited:

backinaction

I've heard people say they understood why the changes were made from the old lobby to the new and didn't begrudge them, but they still preferred the old -- honestly think you're the first person I've ever heard say they like the new lobby more.

For me, the old lobby was the biggest reason to visit the Polynesian. It was wonderful. The new lobby is basically just a standard hotel lobby.
This seems to a running theme at Disney these days. When something is too hard to maintain, just take it out and pretend like it was never there in the first place.

Bocabear

I wonder if they just did not realize how much people like it. I even remember when they had birds (parrots, I believe) in the centerpiece.
I think they fully realized that the lobby and theming were why people loved the Polynesian Resort so much...It is probably more like they don't care and feel that people will pay the same prices with less elaborate design and decor to maintain. I think they are showing us that basically as long as the public keeps coming and keeps paying, why should they bother? Which is antithetical to the original way of thinking at Disney...and sad for us customers.

JoeCamel

I think they fully realized that the lobby and theming were why people loved the Polynesian Resort so much...It is probably more like they don't care and feel that people will pay the same prices with less elaborate design and decor to maintain. I think they are showing us that basically as long as the public keeps coming and keeps paying, why should they bother? Which is antithetical to the original way of thinking at Disney...and sad for us customers.
Rattan mats, thatch and carved wood says Poly right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom