News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

castlecake2.0

Why a gut job of the GF lobby? Genuine question, not a challenge. Just for aesthetics, or is something wrong over there?

Gut job may have been dramatic, but it just feels terribly dated for what’s supposed to be the flagship resort. They did a nice job updating the yacht club lobby last year and I feel the grand could benefit from something similar.

Updated:
58E1ABE9-1493-4CC7-9408-580F0B57E7AD.png

Previous look
D089E98D-1F7A-43B4-B042-782AACF3331E.png

nicb88

Gut job may have been dramatic, but it just feels terribly dated for what’s supposed to be the flagship resort. They did a nice job updating the yacht club lobby last year and I feel the grand could benefit from something similar.
My opinion is that the GF needs to be updated to be more similar to the GF Villas building. It’s a similar feel but just feels more modern.

castlecake2.0

My opinion is that the GF needs to be updated to be more similar to the GF Villas building. It’s a similar feel but just feels more modern.

That works too! If you have a chance the new high end store in GF had an update recently as well and looks great, like you said similar feel just more updated.

Bocabear

You know I always cringe when they start talking about refurbishing the Poly...I feel protective because it is one of my favorite places.
The recent refurbishments have not made me feel like we can expect wonderful things, but more like de-furbishments...like the Enchanted Rose or whatever it is called in the Grand Floridian, or the demolition of the waterfalls in the Poly Lobby... My knee-jerk reaction is always Oh No!, but I will say the illustrations look very nice, and now that they have already gutted the heart out of the resort, maybe this could add a little something back... Cautiously waiting on this one...

Last edited:

Flynnwriter

I pray the team that has ruined the theme of the Grand Floridian with the Miami Beach Stores redo and the abortion known as “enchanted rose” do not ruin the Polynesian. The Polynesian was perfect: tranquil, cool, island, tiki, dated in a great way. The teams who designed the Dvc room got it, as did the new adult pool. Keep the Polynesian Polynesian - we don’t need another W Hotel.

castlecake2.0

I pray the team that has ruined the theme of the Grand Floridian with the Miami Beach Stores redo and the abortion known as “enchanted rose” do not ruin the Polynesian. The Polynesian was perfect: tranquil, cool, island, tiki, dated in a great way. The teams who designed the Dvc room got it, as did the new adult pool. Keep the Polynesian Polynesian - we don’t need another W Hotel.

What store are you referring to? I can’t picture it.

UNCgolf

Updated:
View attachment 500727

Previous look
View attachment 500728

I actually think the previous lobby was significantly better.

The new one absolutely looks more modern, but that's the problem -- the Yacht Club is supposed to be themed to a specific era, and the original lobby is much closer to that era's sensibility. The new lobby follows the same pattern as most other Disney hotel changes in recent years; it's sterilized and moving away from the resort's original theme.

The Grand Floridian lobby could use some refurbishment, but significantly changing it along the lines of the Yacht Club tears away at the whole feel and theme of the resort.

DznyRktekt

The Yacht Club photos are taken from different positions. Assuming the display cases with the model ships are still a part of the FF&E and behind the photographer in the second image, all that has really changed are lightening the woodwork to white, painting the ceiling a more dramatic color, and adding furnishings and carpet in blues and more nautical tones. I don't see the downgrade in that.

nicb88

There are photos elsewhere now of the cross beams having been removed - are they removing them all then replacing?

Also, I’m still unclear as to how their removal creates a ‘more sophisticated look’. 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom