News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Gojira ゴジラ

Currently the three DVC buildings and the bungalows are open for guests. The non DVC longhouses are closed. Both pools are open as is the GCH (including gift stores, Kona, Cooks and Tambu Lounge).

When the monorail station will close....and the order/timing of the refurb of the GCH (and if it will close completely or only certain areas at a time)....is unclear.

Thanks @Tuvalu for a super clear info.
I have a dvc reservation in December,I'm so glad to hear that.

_caleb

Epcot when it opened in 1982 was (and possibly still is) the best thing Disney has ever created, and it was all original content. Not a single attraction based on an IP.
Unfortunately, guests didn't agree with this. Apparently, neither did Disney, hence the Bobs' "More Disney!" campaign.

_caleb

This is simply not true. EPCOT Center was a popular and profitable endeavor. The failure of EPCOT Center is a lie propagated to justify the ousting of Ron Miller.
Fair enough. I stand corrected.
I also suspect that by allowing much of the park to fall into disuse set Disney up with all the "guest feedback" they needed in order to justify the injection of IP.

Essentially making it "Which would you prefer, Ellen's Energy Adventure (a non-IP-based attraction which hasn't been updated since 1996), or a new Guardians of the Galaxy roller-coaster?" and then, "See, guests want more Marvel in Epcot!"

lazyboy97o

I also suspect that by allowing much of the park to fall into disuse set Disney up with all the "guest feedback" they needed in order to justify the injection of IP.

Essentially making it "Which would you prefer, Ellen's Energy Adventure (a non-IP-based attraction which hasn't been updated since 1996), or a new Guardians of the Galaxy roller-coaster?" and then, "See, guests want more Marvel in Epcot!"
There is no need for justification. The franchise mandate came in the wake of the massive success of the Nondescript Coaster Themed Like India or Whatever. It was never a business decision, just a personal one. Epcot continued to rot because Iger spent billions trying to avoid investing in theme parks he doesn’t like, doesn’t understand and didn’t want.

Last edited:

_caleb

The Polynesian is a great example of Disney's classic approaches to placemaking. When you're on property, you feel like you've been transported to another place. By leaving the Poly more or less the same since it opened, it also takes the guest back in time a bit. The addition of characters (and even unthemed modern amenities) works against that immersion. I know some Imagineers get this, but when you look at all the reforms and upgrades to the resorts over the last several years, it seems like it's a lost art.

DznyRktekt

I know the future status of the GCH (amenity closings), is not known, but selfishly hoping Cook's, Kona, and the Ploy monorail platform are open October 18-21. We will be staying at Shades of Green and we love Dole whips from Captain Cook's and have a breakfast booked at Kona Cafe. Does anyone know more specifics for mid/end of October?

rowrbazzle

The Polynesian is a great example of Disney's classic approaches to placemaking. When you're on property, you feel like you've been transported to another place. By leaving the Poly more or less the same since it opened, it also takes the guest back in time a bit. The addition of characters (and even unthemed modern amenities) works against that immersion. I know some Imagineers get this, but when you look at all the reforms and upgrades to the resorts over the last several years, it seems like it's a lost art.
It really is a fun resort. But there are already characters at the Polynesian. You'll find them as statues and in carpets, at one of the meals, and in the DVC rooms. You still feel transported.

Maybe they'll go overboard with the Moana stuff. The description doesn't seem to indicate they will though. It says, "details, patterns and textures." I dunno. I'm willing to see what it is before deciding it's terrible. 😄

durangojim

We were supposed to stay at Poly for our second Disneymoon the first week of December...but with the closure, and the new resort discounts announced today, we are now staying at the Grand Floridan the same week and saved 1500 dollars with the AP discount. It's not our first choice, (a little too "frou frou" for us), but hey, you only live once and if the Tanners could stay there on "Full House", why not us?
Congrats! We actually prefer the GF to the Poly and haven't stayed back at the Poly since we had really poor experience 3 or 4 years ago. The rooms are larger and brighter at the GF and you can always walk over to the Poly to enjoy some of the ambience and amenities and you'll also likely be able to walk to the MK!

_caleb

There is no need for justification. The franchise mandate came in the wake of the massive success of the Nondescript Coaster Themed Like India or Whatever. It was never a business decision, just a personal one. Epcot continued to rot because Iger spent billions trying to avoid invest in theme parks he doesn’t like, doesn’t understand and didn’t want.
I totally agree about Iger (and Chapek) not understanding the business they're in (especially when it comes to the parks). But if it was purely a personal preference and against guest feedback, wouldn't we have seen more pushback agains the IP invasion? In other words, if guests preferred IP-free Epcot, why hasn't there been more negative public reaction to all the IP?

_caleb

It really is a fun resort. But there are already characters at the Polynesian. You'll find them as statues and in carpets, at one of the meals, and in the DVC rooms. You still feel transported.

Maybe they'll go overboard with the Moana stuff. The description doesn't seem to indicate they will though. It says, "details, patterns and textures." I dunno. I'm willing to see what it is before deciding it's terrible. 😄
Good point. I should have said, "characters from animated films." The "characters" you mention are integral to the theming, and really help make the place unique.

britdaw

The Poly doesn't need another refurb. It gets a refurb about every 5 years or so... Why not put some money into making other resorts better. The All Star Resorts need refurbs desperately.

Bocabear

The Poly doesn't need another refurb. It gets a refurb about every 5 years or so... Why not put some money into making other resorts better. The All Star Resorts need refurbs desperately.
Poly is one of the most expensive resorts on property...and now also has a DVC... That is why it gets more love than the entry level Value All-Star resort.

I know the future status of the GCH (amenity closings), is not known, but selfishly hoping Cook's, Kona, and the Ploy monorail platform are open October 18-21. We will be staying at Shades of Green and we love Dole whips from Captain Cook's and have a breakfast booked at Kona Cafe. Does anyone know more specifics for mid/end of October?

resort page makes it look like dining options will remain open and only transportation (monorail) will be affected. Anybody actually in the know?

rowrbazzle

Good point. I should have said, "characters from animated films." The "characters" you mention are integral to the theming, and really help make the place unique.
I was actually talking about characters from animated films. Mickey and friends are on display in the windows of the shops. Lilo and Stitch are in the Murphy beds of the DVC rooms. They also meet with Mickey and Pluto at breakfast. Maui is apparently hidden in the carpets. None of these is in your face, though.

I think the most recent change there was the DVC rooms, right? The animated characters there are hidden in the "kids" bed and the rest of the room is nicely themed - and pretty bright too. If that's the approach they're going to take with the Moana designs, then I think it'll be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom