News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Astro Blaster

Looks like Captain Cook's, the poolside locations and Kona Cafe are operating but not Ohana, Tambu Lounge or Trader Sam's. Is the expectation that anything in the Grand Ceremonial House will be closed during this time?
I just got back from WDW last night. Tambu looks to be open on a reduced schedule and some sort of to-go basis, there was a bartender but nobody sitting around the bar. Had breakfast at Kona and Capt Cook's is open as well as you mentioned.

RSoxNo1

I just got back from WDW last night. Tambu looks to be open on a reduced schedule and some sort of to-go basis, there was a bartender but nobody sitting around the bar. Had breakfast at Kona and Capt Cook's is open as well as you mentioned.
I forgot, Tambu opened mid-month. Depending on what's to be done to the GCH, I could see Captain Cook's remain open as well as the poolside stuff, but Kona, Tambu, the shops, 'Ohana and anything else in the main GCH closed in early October.

Bleed0range

I would be surprised if below translates to Moana being slapped everywhere. Subtle touches, probably. I’m more curious what this Pacific Ocean inspired color palette is going to look like.

“a move to a Pacific Ocean-inspired color palette as well as details, patterns and textures from Disney’s “Moana,””

1A7C146E-F23E-475C-8BB6-2C92790772A5.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why? I know the 9/11 effect, but are you alluding to something else?
The 9/11 effect started in early 2001...things weren’t that simple from a business perspective.

In 2002...hotels shut down large blocks/wings due to low demand. Low Occ in terminology.

A haphazard “schedule” of renovations was announced and promoted.

What really happened? In some cases places planned renovations. In others almost nothing. Superficial behind the construction walls.

It was just more palatable to play it that way.

That playbook may still be used...we’ll have to see.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Any insight about the possibility of other resorts that are currently open pulling back on their availability or even closing between now and next summer for "remodeling"? Just kind of have an uneasy feeling about all this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Any insight about the possibility of other resorts that are currently open pulling back on their availability or even closing between now and next summer for "remodeling"? Just kind of have an uneasy feeling about all this.
Things that could exist that may determine the answer:
1. Really soft longterm forecasting
2. Any winter “viral” problems.

RyboFlavin

A couple weeks ago I was reading some FB posts from several folks saying that their summer 2021 Beach Club reservations were being cancelled and they needed to choose a different resort, etc. After reading about the changes at Polynesian, I wonder if they are planning to do something similar to the Beach Club next year. Perhaps there will be a resort-wide retheme to Little Mermaid, might make sense since they already have a few references to Ariel (a restaurant and a statue).

MrHappy

A couple weeks ago I was reading some FB posts from several folks saying that their summer 2021 Beach Club reservations were being cancelled and they needed to choose a different resort, etc. After reading about the changes at Polynesian, I wonder if they are planning to do something similar to the Beach Club next year. Perhaps there will be a resort-wide retheme to Little Mermaid, might make sense since they already have a few references to Ariel (a restaurant and a statue).
Thanks for sharing, if true, it makes the Poly refurb more likely a Moana-izing on a relatively small and hopefully tasteful scale. The monorail update is probably the big one.

MrHappy

Going by recent refurbs, yes. I hope to goodness it's not but kinda has been the MO.
Call me crazy, but how can an injection of a Polynesian character into an existing Polynesian space go the way of not Polynesian? I know we have had the destino (which interiors look stunning, and 3 bridges), and riviera that I admit is not very riviera nor Disney, some details are impressive. With that, I just don’t think the Poly will be downgraded in theme, immersion, fun, or quality.

Edit: this classic better be complete by 5/1, selfishly. And that little 19 too.

Smiley/OCD

I would be surprised if below translates to Moana being slapped everywhere. Subtle touches, probably. I’m more curious what this Pacific Ocean inspired color palette is going to look like.

“a move to a Pacific Ocean-inspired color palette as well as details, patterns and textures from Disney’s “Moana,””
Lots of floating plastic waste in the pool
"pacific ocean inspired palette = Boring light blues and white, like a holiday inn
Floating plastic waste in the pool? All jokes aside, we were planning on staying there in December...looking at a few different options...Maybe they could add more/larger elevators?

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I guess we'll find out in December how much of this (Ceremonial House and whatever with monorail) will be paid by DVC dues.

Parker in NYC

No thank you. I spend a lotta dough on hotel rooms, and the Poly is no longer worth my money (it used to be our ‘home’ resort, in a non-DVC sense, up until last year when... it suddenly registered as non-essential in our resort rotation preferences). Now, with Moana, it’s guaranteed I’ll stay away.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Really? Thanks
“copper creek”...bay lake tower...bon bini villas...

Check out those Beauts.
Going by recent refurbs, yes. I hope to goodness it's not but kinda has been the MO.
yep
Call me crazy, but how can an injection of a Polynesian character into an existing Polynesian space go the way of not Polynesian? I know we have had the destino (which interiors look stunning, and 3 bridges), and riviera that I admit is not very riviera nor Disney, some details are impressive. With that, I just don’t think the Poly will be downgraded in theme, immersion, fun, or quality.

Edit: this classic better be complete by 5/1, selfishly. And that little 19 ****** too.
Don’t doubt the powers that be.
I guess we'll find out in December how much of this (Ceremonial House and whatever with monorail) will be paid by DVC dues.
Technically...only the common areas can be thrown on you...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom