News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Unless you throw a lot of money at it, 8 months is nowhere near long enough to do a gut job on the entire non-DVC areas. The last soft good refresh was done about 7-10 years ago, so it is probably due. An on the cheap IP insertion would be very doable and could be stretched out to finish May-June 2021. Also keep in mind that half the hotel is still open for DVC, so a gut job of the GCH is probably not occurring because the facilities need to remain open, but you can certainly find time to wedge in whatever IP you want.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Unless you throw a lot of money at it, 8 months is nowhere near long enough to do a gut job on the entire non-DVC areas. The last soft good refresh was done about 7-10 years ago, so it is probably due. An on the cheap IP insertion would be very doable and could be stretched out to finish May-June 2021. Also keep in mind that half the hotel is still open for DVC, so a gut job of the GCH is probably not occurring because the facilities need to remain open, but you can certainly find time to wedge in whatever IP you want.
I would think just a soft goods replacement at this time, which can easily be done in the time allotted.

monothingie

Premium Member
There are conspiracy theories that are just whack...

...and there are obvious cover stories.

Where does this one fall?
Disney is under no obligation to open anything if the demand isn't there. It's more a question of saving face because the emperor has no clothes. Disney's M.O. is balance out a negative with a positive. Negative: No one wants to go to our hotels. Positive: What an awesome time to "renovate" our hotels to make them "More Magical and More Disney".

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Now you're just bringing common sense into the discussion. You must know that simply won't go over well here. There HAS to be a conspiracy theory, as no one believes that Disney makes informed, sensible decisions nowadays. 🧐
I am a bit bias being in Finance my whole career (finally got out of it 2 years ago!) , but sometimes its just the reality of the situation.

Seanual757

I mean if Disney would just come out and say.

"Demand isn't there, we have to adjust the park operating model, we won't need half the staff and resorts till 2022"

That actually MIGHT go over better than this BS. At least it cuts the speculation out.
Pick a date, stick with it.. instead of this willy-nilly week by week closure, opening, delay, rethink, adjustment, etc.

Rooms being re-done could be done one building at a time with the resort open.
So that's not a good reason.

They've closed half the main lodge before, kept it open while working.
The company is short on cash, but spending to rehab right now?

Nope, it all stinks.

Seeing that Intl travel to Orlando (the US) is not coming back in 2020 and we are not allowed to travel to Europe, most likely cruises are toast until Spring 2021. Get set for the airlines to pull back even more in October as the furloughes kick in. Travel to the US and Florida as we know it will not be back for 3-4 years.

Riverrafter21

After our last stay we noticed some of the room furniture was worn and could be replaced, and the ceremonial house could use a little touch up. However, this is timetable doesn't support "a little TLC". Interesting...

Although, adding more inside seating for Trader Sam's would be nice.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Cheap and with minimal manpower to extend out 8 months.
If it really lasts that long. And I would think that the contractor hasn't even been hired yet, and that could take some time as well. You really don't think they can do much right nowadays, do you.

monothingie

Premium Member
If it really lasts that long. And I would think that the contractor hasn't even been hired yet, and that could take some time as well. You really don't think they can do much right nowadays, do you.

They are able gauge demand rather well and bring inventory back online as quickly as they can rehire people to staff.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now you're just bringing common sense into the discussion. You must know that simply won't go over well here. There HAS to be a conspiracy theory, as no one believes that Disney makes informed, sensible decisions nowadays. 🧐
There is no conspiracy theory here at all. It will be debated...but that’s frivolous.

There is no demand. Period. Game, set, match.

And it’s set up to be exactly like the 2002 playbook. I’d elaborate but I don’t want to bore you 😉

JoeCamel

There are conspiracy theories that are just whack...

...and there are obvious cover stories.

Where does this one fall?
Here's one for you, they close all the monorail resorts so they can close the monorail and save on the operation cost.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Is there room to expand Trader Sam's?

I've also thought the restaurant waiting area space is somewhat wasted and huge with great views out toward the pool and lagoon. With reservations becoming decentralized with mobile check-in, they could maybe slide Tambu lounge over a bit into current waiting area as either an expansion or move (to open more space for 'Ohana). People waiting for dinner reservations can then be pushed into the lounge or shops or main lobby. Drawback is space when it rains and GCH is a cluster.

Can you tell I think they need to make it easier to buy overpriced drinks? ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
There is no conspiracy theory here at all. It will be debated...but that’s frivolous.

There is no demand. Period. Game, set, match.

And it’s set up to be exactly like the 2002 playbook. I’d elaborate but I don’t want to bore you 😉
I was being facetious about the conspiracy as it seems that every single move and announcement made by Disney has some people speculating about some sort of devious reason for their action other than the one given by Disney. You aren't immune to that either. 😉

So what if there is no demand????? Seems like the perfect time to do a soft goods refurb, or you just think they are lying, and won't actually do the refurb?? o_O

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was being facetious about the conspiracy as it seems that every single move and announcement made by Disney has some people speculating about some sort of devious reason for their action other than the one given by Disney. You aren't immune to that either. 😉

So what if there is no demand????? Seems like the perfect time to do a soft goods refurb, or you just think they are lying, and won't actually do the refurb?? o_O
I can’t dispute any of this 🤪...no siree

But the one “questionable” element is are they really going to do anything or is it a straight low occ/PR game?

That is why I mentioned 2002

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom