Refurbed Country Bear Jamboree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
We saw Country Bear Jamboree on Wednesday, October 17th, just after the grand "re-opening." As the old lady mused in the Titanic film, "you could still smell the fresh paint." The songs I'd seen listed here for potential removal (Blood on the Saddle, Mama Don't Whip Little Buford) remained intact. Can anyone shed any light on what portions of the show, if any, were removed or truncated during the refurb? Admittedly, I'm not familiar enough with the show to be able to tell, although I do wish we'd heard more of every song.

While all the animatronics seemed to be working smoothly, I did notice that the sound quality was not as clear as it could or should have been. (For me, it wasn't so much an issue of volume as it was one of clarity: I could hear the words, I just couldn't necessarily understand them.) On the other hand, the small crowd that was watching it with us didn't seem to mind, and was happy to whoop and clap along with the show.

tink729

Not sure what was removed, but I've heard in different places that it was either 4 minutes worth of material or 5 1/2 minutes. I'm curious to see what was removed as well.

Cmdr_Crimson

2 Songs were removed I noticed were Henry & Wendel's Fractured folk song and Zeke's Devilish Mary. The Other thing I found sad is Melvin, Max & Buff's banter was cut drasticly..

Cmdr_Crimson

Okay so after watching the WDWMagic video and checking the script from dldhistory's website Here's what happend.
Red Text Is what was Axed.
Black Bold Text Indicates what sections were moved.

Buff: Hey Henry, what's holding ya up? Let's get on with the show! We can't hang around here all day.

Buck: Now Buff, be patient. It takes a little doing to set these things up.

Melvin: Yea, we ain't going anywhere anyhow. We're kind of hung up here!

Henry: Okay, okay boys, take it easy, take it easy. Now we're ready to start. Sorry folks, I'll be right with you. (clears throat) Give me a little intro there Gomer.

Henry: Howdy folks, welcome to the one and only original Country Bear Jamboree featuring a bit of Americana, our musical heritage of the past. But enough of this chit chat, yick yack, and flim flam. Just refrain from hybernating and we'll all enjoy the show, because we got a lot to give.

Gomer plays a little interlude and while he does the heads on the wall compliment him.

Melvin: Hey, he's a regular Liberace.

Buck: And he plays good too.

Then the back drop on center stage rolls up behind Gomer.

Henry: And right now, I give you assorted assortment of executioners of music and song. The Five Bear Rugs, plus Gomer. Hit it boys.

The curtain opens and a platform with 6 bears comes forward and the lights come up. Henry sings "The Five Bear Rugs", which introduces them in counter clockwise order, starting with the older bear in front. A spotlight highlights each one in turn.

Henry singing: The Bear Band bears will play now in the good ole' key of G, Zeke, and Zeb, and Ted, and Fred And a bear named Tennessee.

Zeke is twanging on the banjo and tapping with his feet or banging on the dishpan with a real ole country beat.

Zeb is sawing on the fiddle with a crooked hickory bow. When the spirit moves that bruin he can make that fiddle go.

And Ted is on the cornjug. Now I mean that bear can blow. He also plays the washboard with a handle on a hoe.

Big Fred's playing mouth harp. He plays it kinds sad. He never took a lesson. He just picked it from Dad.

And little ole Tennessee bear is featured on the Thing. Sounds just like a guitar but it's only got one string.

So clap your hands, and stomp your feet and try to keep right with us. One sure thing the bear band's got is good old country rhythm.

So clap your hands, and stomp your feet and try to keep right with us. One sure thing the bear band's got is good old country rhythm.

When their song is over, the stage goes back, but not before the little bear sitting on the front of the platform squeezes his teddy bear.

The curtain is replaced with a backdrop of a park. A bear playing a mandolin takes center stage right. He is strumming on the mandolin.

Wendell: Aren't you going to help me out over there Henry? Goodness gracious! What do you think we have you on the show fer.
Henry appears on stage 2 this time, with a guitar in his paws.
Henry: Now Wendell...
Wendell: You're supposed to pick...
Henry: Now Wendell please...
Wendell: Ah, If you can't cut it, just lay out.
Henry: Well let's not fight now, cause we got work to do here.
Wendell: Let's do it.
They both plucking their instruments and the next song begins...
Henry sings: Now here's a fractured folk song, butchered by two birds.
Wendell sings: We wrote these lousy lyrics and we also wrote the words.
Henry sings: The chords are very simple. In fact, there's only three. First there's G, then C then D. And then you go on back to G.
Wendell: But you got to be quick!
Henry: Hahaha.

Henry then introduces the next act.

Henry: And now a heart rendering ditty, by our own growler of song, Liver Lips McGrowl! Sing it Mac!
L. Lips sings: I got a woman, she's got me. Whatever we do, we both agree She ain't purty, but I ain't too. The things we like are the things we do. My woman ain't purty, but she don't swear none. She's kinda heavy, don't weigh a ton. She's my woman, through and through I love her only cause my heart is true.

Wendell and Henry sing: Mama don't whoop little Buford. Mama don't pound on his head. Mama don't whoop little Buford. I think you should shoot him instead.
Henry: -Bang!-

Wendell disappears and attention returns back to Henry.

Henry: Yes, folks we only have high class stuff on this show. And now here is a special treat out of Tampa. A little bit of ever loving cuddlesome fluff, our own Trixie!

Trixie sings: Tears will be the chaser for your wine. After you leave this love of mine. Bright lights and taverns, That's where you'll spend your time, and tears will be the chaser for your wine.

Henry: Beautiful, Beautiful. That was a mighty big song Trixie!
Trixie: Oh thank you Henry!
After the song ends, the heads on the wall rejoin the show with a bit of conversation.
Buff: That sure ain't all that's big.
Buck: Well, you're no light weight yourself Buff!
Henry: Boys, boys, watch your manners...
Melvin: Yeah, if you can't say something nice...err...
Henry: Boys, boys, okay now boys if you just stop carrying on like, we just might dedicate this next song to you all. And we so dedicate. Sing it Zeke!
The bear band returns to play another song in which Zeke is featured singing on the center stage.
Zeke singing: When I was young and in my prime. I thought I thought never would marry but I fell in love with a pretty little gal And sure enough we married.
"Ataboy, Zeke!"
Ring-a-ding-ding Mary, Prettiest little gal, I ever did see. Her name was Devillish Mary.
"What a gal!"
Hadn't been married but about two weeks She got as mean as the devil And every time I looked cross-eyed She'd hit me on the head with a shevill.
"How sad."
Ring-a-ding-ding Mary, Prettiest little gal, I ever did see Her name was Devillish Mary.
"What a pity!"
Her name was Devillish Mary.
The bear band's baby bear squeezes his teddy again and then they fade out. Wilbur is next with a short ballad on stage 2.

Wilbur: How long is forever? How soon is now or never? How long will this heartaches linger on? and how long will my baby be gone?

Henry: Now, here they come, those little sun bonnets from the sunshine state, Bunny, Bubbles, and Buelah!

Sun Bonnets: Everytime I meet a guy who gets me shook all I ever get from him's a dirty look. It's the same way, everwhere I've found. All the guys that turn me on, turn me down.
All the guys that turn me on, turn me down. Nothing works for me that I found. It's the same way everywhere I see. Nothing ever seems to work for me Nothing ever seems to work for me Doodle Doodle Do-Do-Do Bum Bump.

Ernest SECTION MOVED AFTER BEAR BAND SERENADE
Ernest: One night I left the wife at home and went out with the boys I was acting like a Don Juan and making a lot of noise

Zeke: "You old lover boy!"

A gogo girl called my hand, I said, "I can't I'm a married man" She said if you ain't a gonna steal, you better not prowl. "He's a born loser!" Don't dosido with a gogo, if you can't bite don't growl. If you can't bite don't growl.

Teddi Beara SECTION MOVED AFTER SUN BONNETS.
Henry: My my. Now here she is, that delightful, delicate, dedicated dimple darling of the Dakotas. The last of the big time swingers. Swinging Teddi Berra! Swing it Teddi!

Henry: Wowwee, here she comes...
Teddi singing: Well there he goes, he hardly knows the heart he's breaking.
Henry: Lovely, lovely!
Teddi singing: I talked to him, but I don't think he understood.
Buff: Oh sing it gal.
Teddi singing: Oh just forget about the plans that we were making.
Henry: My my.
Teddi singing: Heart we did all that we could.
Teddi then teases all the other bears, especially Henry in a Mae West accent, as her swing ascends back into the ceiling.
Teddi: You all come up and see me some time, ya hear?!
Henry: Yeah, as soon as I find a ladder, I'll be right up! Uh-huh.

Big Al: There was blood on the saddle and blood all around And a great big puddle of blood on the ground! Hehehe

Henry: Born on the mountain top in Tennessee greenest state in the land of the free. Raised in the woods, so he knew every tree. Tamed him a b'ar when he was only three.
Davy, Davy crockett. King of the Wild Frontier.
Up through the woods, he's a marching along making up yarns and a singing his song. Itchin' fer fightin' and rightin' a wrong....

All of the sudden, out of nowhere, the curtain on stage #1 opens up, and Big Al starts singing his dirge again, interrupting Henry.

Henry: Hey, wait a minute! Hold the phone down there, you've had your turn.

Sammy: Henry, Henry, we've need help!

Henry: Right Sammy! Hey gang hit it!

Cast singing: Well he's big around the middle and he's broad across the rump, running 90 miles an hour making 30 feet a jump. He's never been cornered and he's never been treed. Some folks say he's looks a lot like me.

High on the mountain, tell me what do you see? Bear tracks, bear tracks, looking back at me.
Better get your rifles before it's too late. Bears got a little big, and he's headed through the gate.

He's big around the middle and he's broad across the rump, running 90 miles an hour making 30 feet a jump. He's never been cornered and he's never been treed. Some folks say he's looks a lot like me.

Henry: Hehehe, well as you can see, we're just one big happy family. Well folks, this concludes our show. So thanks for bearing with us to the bear end and barrel around to see us again. What do you say Sammy?

Sammy: I say you all come back, ya hear...

Buff, Henry, Melvin, Sammy, and Buck sing: We hope that you'll be coming back again. That's you'll drop in and see us now and then. We've done our very best to please With just the bear necessities We hope that you'll be comin' back again.

Come again, come again. The welcome mat is always out, 'Cause seein' you is fun!
We hope that you'll be comin' back again. That you'll drop in to see us now and then. We've had such fun, we're going to cry. We just can't bear to say goodbye. We hope that you'll be coming back again.

Buck: Don't forget to gather your belongings…

Melvin: And your husbands too.

Buck: It's been good to have you.

Buff: So long folks.

RonAnnArbor

Nice breakdown, Cmdr_Crimson...some interesting cuts, though looks like they did it more for just time considerations than creative reasons. That, and to cut out the heads bantering on the wall that nobody could hear or make out anyway...

wiigirl

The first half of the finale is also missing.
:(
75.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom