Refund if death in family

drp4video

I am trying to decide what to do. I have a reservation at POR starting June 1, 2006. I know I have 5 days to cancel without losing my deposit. I live in Michigan, and my dad in Arizona in ill and the hospice nurse says he could pass in a day or within a week. (but who knows it could be longer) I also have reservations on the gulf coast for May 30 and 31st. Do I cancel now, or, if dad passes after the 5 day window, will disney refund my deposit it I show a death certificate. I am just wondering if anyone has been in this situation where they have had to cancel for a family emergency and if they either got a refund or credit for future stay.

I am so torn about canceling now, or waiting to see what happens. I know if we get to florida and dad passes, I will have to get to Arizona from florida, and wonder if they will let me cancel. Any infor would be appreciated in helping me make a decision. Thank you in advance.

maggiegrace1

I am sorry about your Dad.. My prayers are with you and your family.. I am sure..but not positive ..that Disney would let you cancel after the 5 day period if there was a death..Why dont you call and explain your situation..I am sure they can give you the information needed.

Upvote 0

justducky78

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I would call Disney to see what they have to say.

Is there any way you can cancel your trip(s) and go down to Arizona to be with him instead? Then, maybe go on vacation to WDW in a few weeks/months to relax and recuperate - it sounds like you and your family are going to need it.

Not sure you'll be able to enjoy the trip much right now anyway, considering his illness and the time frame...

My thoughts are with you...:(

Upvote 0

tigsmom

((HUGS))

Did you purchase trip insurance? That would help. If not, give WDW a call and explain what is going on, they may let you push back your trip without a penalty.

Upvote 0

sabian

Hey DRP, I am sorry to hear about your dad.
I hope my story will help you
My wife and I were on our way to Disney this past December. We live in New Orleans, woke up and left at 3:00 am to start our journey. Three and a half hours later, as we were leaving cracker barrel from having breakfast, my wife's cell phone rings. You know when the phone rings that early on a saturday, it can't be good. Anyway, my wife's 16 year old cousin died of heart failure. We immediately turned around and headed back to new orleans. On the way back home, I called WDW and explained the problem. Even though i was set to arrive at Pop Century by 3:00 pm that afternoon, the young lady was extremely helpful, and refunded all of my money within a few days. Even though i was past the 5 day deadline, she understood and refunded the entire amount of money i had invested in my trip.
WDW made a difficult situation a little better by being so helpful and understanding. That's what makes Disney, Disney.

Upvote 0

banimall

I could be wrong but I think that you can change the dates of your trip up until the day you arrive with no penalty. So if you wanted to postpone the trip at the last minute until a later date I don't think it should be a problem.

Upvote 0
Disney will for sure give you a refund. Two years ago my Mother passed away unexpectedly 2 days before I was supposed to arrive at Disney with my wife. We called Disney and explained to them the situation and they were very helpful. They refunded my $ for the hotel. I also had purchased tickets to Cirque du Soleil, which are non-refundable, when I told Disney about this, they sent me free passes to Cirque which were good for any time within a year. I'm so sorry for your situation, best wishes to you and your family.

Upvote 0
Also, if you are at all worried about something happening while you are away, my advice would be to postpone your trip. Disney World will always be there. If you were to recieve bad news while at Disney, it's possible that Disney will always remind you of that bad news. Just my humble opinion though.

Upvote 0

drp4video

Original Poster
Thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I called disney and I have until tomorrow to cancel for a full refund. If I want they told me I could just postpone the trip to another time, and apply my deposit for a later trip. I will decide tomorrow. I know I will cancel the gulf hotel as they still have vacancies if for some strange reason we go. But the points about being at disney and worrying the whole time are well taken, as would associating his passing with out trip at disney. My daughter already associates the death of her dad and mother in law with arizona, as we went to AZ right after hubby's death, and were there when my mother in law died.

So thank you all for the great advice. I will let you know if I cancel and someone might want a room at POR, which is sold out for the time we will be there, and a vacancy would open.

Upvote 0

drp4video

Original Poster
I just canceled. FIrst I called and got a man who said the system was down and I would have to call back after 5....so being a WDW veteran, I called right back, and got a woman who canceled my reservation and told me I should have canceled yesterday, although I explained I called yesterday and they said I had till today. She put me on hold, came back and said wow, you were just here in March and you come here a lot, and we are going to waive the 5 day rule and they gave me a total refund. SO there is now a room available at POR for June 1- June 4 if anyone needs if, as they are booked.

I canceled the gulf hotel and got the deposit back, now I just have to deal with the airline, and cancel the rental car. Talked to mom and she said dad is the same. My luck if I went, I would get down there and get the call. My daughter has been amazing although I feel so bad for her as she was looking forward to the gulf of mexico to relax after finishing up her first year at Michigan State. I of course, was more looking forward to disney and doing everest. But it will still be there when I get to go.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and advice.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom