Reflections of Mainland China - Now With More Thailand

D Hulk

Original Poster
First we continued on foot north around Jingshan Park to a pub in a trendy canal shopping district. FC lets out where there are no subways or city buses (as if it weren’t inconvenient enough) meaning you have to walk at length through the oversized city. We paused for a quick, late, light lunch - simple beers with a few dumplings. The menu advertised “braised sheep .” o_O:hungover:

50492898-065A-485A-9D8C-83D5893ACA35.jpeg

Khanh went his own next, taking the subway north to see the 2008 Olympic venues. I took the subway east to the Lama Temple. Martin originally just wanted to return to the hotel area early, but since the metro system totally confused him (he’s basically a 19th century bootlegger deposited in modern times), Martin wound up tagging along with me.

Lama Temple is a Buddhist site where the newly-appointed Dalai Lama makes a pilgrimage and stays overnight once he’s anointed. At all other times it is for tourists.

5F988C55-6DAF-4503-A339-25955ADC3F4B.jpeg

The layout and architecture are similar to Forbidden City - outer protective walls, then a series of courtyards and temples along a central north-south axis. Lama Temple is by far the more enchanting setting thanks to its intimate scale and many quaint details. It’s less crowded and it feels more sincere. The complex is an active religious site. Worshippers kneel and pray within every successive temple. They burn incense at various decorative fire pits. The whole campus wafts with spiced incense smoke and the occasional bell gong. It’s all very transportive, peaceful and serene.

Lama Temple proved to be a final underhyped delight before leaving Beijing. At this point, Buddhist temples are becoming a common sight, and it’s hard to appreciate or distinguish one over another. A greater sense of place elevated Lama Temple despite a little fatigue with the Buddhist look.

EB2ABC09-19A2-4860-B592-FB7DF7508540.jpeg

It had a awesome final treasure as well, one I’m sure many visitors miss: set inside the ultimate temple in the far back, towering high into the tiered painted rafters, is a statue of the Buddha standing a massive 120 feet tall! Everything in the complex radiates from this figure. Smoke poured in through windows as the sun lowered behind lush leaves, perfectly framing this holy discovery. I could soak this moment in for hours...

Too bad we had to rush back south via metro to rejoin our group for dinner!
We (Martin and I) were the last to arrive back at King’s Joy Hotel, reaching the hotel two minutes late just as everyone else was setting out towards the night’s restaurant. (They weren’t abandoning me; I’d already eaten at this place before the tour began so I knew the location.) No matter, we rejoined the group and headed to the Peking duck restaurant.

10952A66-7DDA-4A12-BE42-ED06D1AFD5FC.jpeg

Chinese restaurants are a lot more fun with a group since you get to split a wider variety of tasty treats. They’re even more fun with a local host doing all the ordering, carefully creating a unique and authentic meal every time.

Over a feast of Peking duck and approximately 10 other familiar-and-yummy Chinese dishes, we discussed the evening’s intinerary: Train travel! We’re taking an overnight train form Beijing to Xi’an, China’s original capitol city deep in the nation’s interior.

0B226CCA-8AC8-40CA-B779-09C75DC19539.jpeg

We were all assigned bunk beds. Very cramped space, six people packed into a room roughly 10x10x12 (feet). No privacy, no meals, no showers, merely traditional squat toilets. Especially for those of us with little train experience (me) there was a bit of planning pre-boarding needed just to figure out what items were necessary for minimum comfort. And there’s nothing to do on these trains - I’m actually writing this now from another train bunk, presently prepping for a night journey from Xi’an to Shanghai.

Oh! The train just started moving! And these trains have only 3 electrical outlets for every 36 people, so I’ll be signing off soon to preserve my battery through tomorrow!

Anyway, I didn’t do much on the first train. I was the first among our group to fall asleep. I tried staying awake reading my Kindle in the bunk, but that just made me sleepier: I was out by 9:30, and for the most part I slept through the nightexceotbforb

Over an hour later, I’m returning from sudden erupting train chaos to complete this recap. This new Shanghai-bound train is far more exciting than the one from Beijing. But that’s for a future recap...

So I slept well out from Beijing, except the train blanket was too warm and I removed it after a few hours. Some others in our group barely slept at all. We arrived at Xi’an around 8 AM, in the middle of a pounding rainstorm. I knew basically nothing about Xi’an before yesterday, but it proved to be a vibrant and modern city with a population the same size as L.A. County (10 million). But that’s a recap for another time. Battery and WiFi is fading...

D Hulk

Original Poster
also, wow i’m surprised and kind of not that fc wasn’t one of the best. hope ur having fun out there!
I’m having tons of fun, thank you! :D

Sorry for the lack of lengthy recaps lately, but between spotty WiFi, low batteries and simply super busy go go go days, there hasn’t been a chance yet.

But as a quick update, yesterday was a very packed day spent touring Shanghai. Right now we’re about to board a public bus out to the Huangshan Mountains for several days of hiking. So excited for that!!! :D

Will keep y’all updated as I’m able.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I’m having tons of fun, thank you! :D

Sorry for the lack of lengthy recaps lately, but between spotty WiFi, low batteries and simply super busy go go go days, there hasn’t been a chance yet.

But as a quick update, yesterday was a very packed day spent touring Shanghai. Right now we’re about to board a public bus out to the Huangshan Mountains for several days of hiking. So excited for that!!! :D

Will keep y’all updated as I’m able.

We'll take short, medium, or long recaps! Completely understand you're not under ideal conditions to post as much as you may like. Enjoying everything you share with us, and thank you! :happy:

smile

Hey, let’s all go to China! :D

I’m on my way down to LAX right now via a luxurious combination of metro, bus and Lyft. Gonna be out in China for roughly 2.5 weeks seeing all of their ancient masterpieces - the Great Wall, the Terracotta Warriors, Shanghai Disneyland.

View attachment 311446

This trip begins solo, as is my wont. Who’s going? Me, Doug. A few days in I’ll be joining up with a big Australian tour group for most of the trip.

But first I start out alone in Beijing, where hopefully my VPN can get me around the Great Firewall of China and I can still provide regular updates as the adventure unspools.

A PREVIEW OF COMING EVENTS

The general ambitious itinerary? A few days in Beijing to start.

140225172701_0791.jpg

Hiking dozens of miles on a less traveled portion of the Great Wall.

Traveling by overnight train to Xi’an and environs.

img_173_d20140516163510.jpg

Climbing the fabled (and insane-looking) Huangshan Mountains.

hangzhou-1871458_1920.jpg

Trips to ancient water towns and modern Shanghai, climaxing in...

A day or two at Shanghai Disneyland at the month’s end, a glorious relaxing conclusion to a wild journey.

f387d4139fed440989e2b23d_300x200.jpg

No question I am excited and anxious about all this to come. There will be tons of amazing food, astounding sites, unique cultural experiences, and communist bureaucracy. I can hardly wait!

More to come, most likely once I get bored in the airport.

an amazing journey well told - thanks for sharing!!

D Hulk

Original Poster
When I last let off, we had just arrived in Xi’an in the middle of a pounding rainstorm after a restless overnight trip on a cramped public train.

BE1B2D05-95E5-4353-8CE3-A9CDCF570DEE.jpeg

Before this trip, I barely knew anything about Xi’an. It is deep in China’s interior - the trip’s general Beijing-Xi’an-Shanghai trajectory is roughly equivalent to visiting Orlando-Houston-Washington D.C. in terms of distances. And Xi’an is big; 10 million people, twice the size of Los Angeles! It is packed full of history, having been the capitol city for several dynasties (including the Tang) all in the pre-Renaissance years.

It isconfusing to arrive in a new unknown city, exacerbated by the rain and fatigue. We located a public bus in the downpour and traveled through the city gates to our hotel. Very luckily, despite it being only 9 AM, hotel staff was able to open up our rooms early for recovery and showers. I got through my respite fairly quickly, and ducked out solo for a hearty noodle soup breakfast in a local hole-in-the dive where they spoke no English whatsoever. Ordering in here was fun!

Once everyone was ready for the day, more around 11, we went out on a walking tour led by Hu.

Hu is a native of Xi’an, so he was extremely passionate and animated showing off his hometown. It really is a nice town, a lot more comfortable and welcoming with Beijing, with a bit of a small town friendliness and a cosmopolitan style more in line with most Japanese cities I’ve visited. Our whole group still agrees we’d live here if we lived in China. Hu was especially animated since once his walking tour was to conclude (and we all got our free time for the evening), he would be spending the night at home with his infant daughter and other family members. So sweet! :angelic:

Hu mostly led us through the old city which is confined within an ancient fortification wall, the largest city wall in China. Xi’an has a symmetrical layout and is wonderfully walkable. At the center, serving now as a roundabout, is a massive Bell Tower which puts Beijing’s to shame. This is a common feature of old Chinese cities, as is the nearby Drum Tower which we’ll pass by later.

0BE276FC-24CE-4F5F-A3DA-A7EB368EF559.jpeg
From later that evening

We start by passing through sleek modern shopping complexes awash with neon and pop music and video amusements and fashion. It’s basically Tokyo! All the modern brands are on hand. Soon we passed into the older markets where artisans still practice the traditional Chinese arts like calligraphy or pottery or instrument making. Then we passed through the nightlife district, making notes for later.

Hu took us beyond the city walls. Beyond, the city continues to spread and grow rapidly like all Chinese cities. We don’t focus on the modern skyscraper skyline beyond, but on the wall itself, on its moat and battlements and the ancient entry gates now flanked by modern roadways.

E517302D-1645-4BF6-8B4A-D53F79350619.jpeg

We then continued back into the walls, past the Towers into Xi’an’s famed Muslim Market. Centuries ago the Chinese had already mastered religious freedom, and this section of the capitol city was a haven for Chinese Muslims to practice their own lifestyle. Today it remains a great hub for free trade, a pedestrian shopping complex indoors and out which feels like the smaller Chinese version of Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar.

A0154331-ECEF-4E1E-BE04-61B23E6F4DE4.jpeg

We explored here at length, pausing one-by-one to purchase cheap Muslim-style snacks from the countless streetside vendors packed row-upon-row endlessly down vibrant alleyways. Here in the mid-afternoon this served as a late lunch for the group, most of whom were growing antsy since they’d skipped breakfast. (I’m consistently waking sooner than the rest due to how time zones affect Americans and Europeans differently, so I’m usually the only one who’s eaten a breakfast.) Among the tasty treats we tried: fried beef pancakes, sesame buns, durian fruit, persimmon cake, fried squid, pomegranate juice, Chinese hamburger (a favorite of the Brits), candied jellies, and more. It was hard to not try more, as plenty of the offering were wholly new to many of us.

AB946880-7EBB-4608-A480-B8F1757CF30E.jpeg

Hu soon took his leave, abandoning us to our own devices. The group split up a bit based on flagging energy levels. I stuck with the young and attractive Brits around my own age. Martin also tagged along; the man climbed Mt. Everest :)eek:), he’s up for anything!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We then continued back into the walls, past the Towers into Xi’an’s famed Muslim Market. Centuries ago the Chinese had already mastered religious freedom, and this section of the capitol city was a haven for Chinese Muslims to practice their own lifestyle. Today it remains a great hub for free trade, a pedestrian shopping complex indoors and out which feels like the smaller Chinese version of Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar.

Wow, that pedestrian shopping area looks intriguing. The sights, sounds, and smells must be fascinating. You're seeing some really cool sections of China. :cool:

D Hulk

Original Poster
Wow, that pedestrian shopping area looks intriguing. The sights, sounds, and smells must be fascinating. You're seeing some really cool sections of China. :cool:
This has doubtlessly been an extraordinary trip so far, and hastily typing about it on an iPhone in what little downtime I’ve found cannot begin to convey the full experience. All sensory elements combined, even traveling through the more generic parts of the country between major sights, it all really adds up.

We’re trapped by a mountain thunderstorm right now, but here’s a sample of what we’ve seen so far today hiking the Yellow Mountains:

7805B745-85C8-4C17-A055-3758A5D2A263.jpeg

D Hulk

Original Poster
A46D7977-ED2C-4200-9139-2184607754FE.jpeg

Xi’an Recap Continued

On our own, we headed beyond the walls to the Small Goose Pagoda, walking past giant Gucci department stores and similar affluent symbols. We had neither the energy nor the wherewithal to find the further, better Great Pagoda. Both actually predate most of the inner city, standing as early monuments to China’s adoption of Buddhism.

We had some trouble entering the Pagoda grounds. Hu took all our passports for hotel check-in, and he still has them. Eventually we managed to use our drivers licenses to gain (free) entry, even though that’s something most Brits don’t possess. (My effort at bribing the ticket vendor - “Perhaps you know my friend Chairman Mao?” - failed due to a language barrier.)

The garden grounds surrounding the Small Goose Pagoda were lovely, quiet and serene - a common feeling I get from all these city-set Chinese gardens, which I cannot get enough of. To our surprise, the grounds also hosted the sleekly modern Museum of Xi’an, a free-to-enter exhibit of ancient religious artifacts which held little aesthetic or historic interest to our group given our unfamiliarity with the topic. We mostly enjoyed the museum’s Getty-esque architecture and AC.

17E56AD1-2594-4175-80CD-9A3C03DF66A6.jpeg

After this, the time had come for another brief pause back in the hotel before heading out again for the evening. It was a few kilometer walk out to the Pagoda, so we took Xi’an metro back to the Bell Tower in the city center. It was hard getting our proper orientation from there towards the hotel, but eventually we got reorientated.

Throughout the tour, Intrepid has provided optional up-charge experiences. The hutong and cricket experience in Beijing was one of those. Hu presented a dinner and music show for us in Xi’an, but he made it sound fairly mediocre...on purpose I’m sure, so he could rush off to see his family that night. I can’t blame him at all! Hu instead hyped up a cheap local noodle house as his favorite eatery, so there was no debate amongst the group for our dinner plans. Gotta love their menu too: “large” or “small.” Xi’an food consistently seemed unique, with a distinctive lip tingle I’ve never gotten any place else.

0548CC72-3573-4758-805C-91E27EF91AA8.jpeg

Afterwards we all walked back beyond the city walls to see the nighttime projection show. There wasn’t much to see there, just warm off-white lighting on the parapets. But the neon skyline opposite it was a sight to behold, framed like the entry gates to an amazing futuristic city!

C25231E2-A8A3-4A99-96DD-28D4264C8DF2.jpeg

And the entry gates to Old Xi’an were a sight as well, especially with the lights reflecting on the mist-moistened pavement. This setting was very dreamlike.

3202D18B-D554-421C-A3F0-D10EADEDAC8A.jpeg

Following this, we went to the nightlife area for beers.

We settled on a club featuring live musical acts. Barkers for the nearby shabbier clubs begged fruitlessly for our business. We split 12 beers amongst 10 people for the discount, and pounded through several rounds of that since Chinese beer isn’t very alcoholic and the bottles were tiny. (Compare this to the refreshing 2-liter Tsingtao beers we had after completing 10 miles on the Great Wall, which will remain one of the trip’s great group memories.)

As the night progressed, the club filled up with more and more Xi’anian residents all whooping it up. (It was a Sunday night.) A fat, sweaty Triad gangster sat with his too-young girlfriend at a table near ours, where he had club management bring out his private hookah and a specialized meal of fruits and duck neck.

Soon the Triad invited Tony (a lanky bald Brit who I’ve teasingly taken to calling “Jason Statham”) to join him. Tony has a strange charisma with the Chinese people, always picking up a friend wherever he goes. I enjoy the same attention in Japan, but no one in China seems to love an American. :cry:

While the rest of us remained in our group, Tony celebrate drunkenly with the Triad. The gangster scanned our table, and rather arbitrarily he eventually chose Martin and then me to join his fabulous table which had now moved to the base of the performance stage. I wasn’t too keen on this but still I joined. The Triad was way too touchy-feely and amorous, on top of being stupendously drunk, and while Tony didn’t seem to mind his grabbiness, I wasn’t so enamored.

DAE1529F-FC3B-405C-AE97-3337304445E7.jpeg

Though I can’t truly complain about the free shots of Hennessy which the Triad provides us all with. He was even impressed by my ability to pound them away (I was mostly looking to speed through this encounter). Tony had a head start on my and we ended with his 6 shots to my 3 (Martin abstained). Though I had less to drink, I shouldn’t have been that much more sober than Tony, who I wound up having to co-carry back to the hotel draped over my shoulder along with Permin’s (our group’s Swiss mountain man).

Tony awoke the following day with a splitting hangover, while I awoke feeling the same as ever. I sleep great, in fact, aided since the Xi’an hotel was the fanciest I’ve stayed at to date on this trip.

Next up: The reason we came out to Xi’an

D Hulk

Original Poster
I woke up ahead of the group on Monday morning, as usual. I went out alone in search of breakfast. With few places open, I defaulted to a simple place serving steaming hot curry noodle soup with fried bread. It was spicy, flavorful, and with that familiar Xi’an lip tingle.

Once the group got themselves gathered and packed, we deposited our luggage in the hotel lobby and gathered onto a private minivan to go see the day’s major attraction...

The Terracotta Warriors!

F4191DBA-D1BA-4184-9BD1-FF2D9A040D62.jpeg
Average Chinese countryside view along the way, where tower blocks under construction are visible vanishing into the distant fogs.

The previous night Hu sold us all on an up-charge for this day. The trip’s included plan saw us taking public transport up to Terracotta, meaning several hours of transit each way. For 100 yuan for the minibus (roughly $13 U.S.) we could travel there far more swiftly, plus get an included big lunch in a private home!

With the time we saved, more could be done on the way up. So first we stopped at a Xi’an art museum for a brief guided spiel on the history of Chinese art, followed by a hands-on calligraphy lesson. We painted Chinese characters in black ink on rice paper, with strokes not designed for a leftie like me. The docent humored us and praised our efforts, but my art at least didn’t deserve that.

B45405C5-D365-427C-AB7E-D7EAEC3AC95C.jpeg

Then it was time for the hourlong drive north to the tiny village-turned-tourist-trap where the Terracotta Warriors now reside. This was the reason for trekking so deep into China’s interior. These 6,000 or so lifesize clay human scultpures are a major world treasure, a work of art build on a flabbergasting scale which really wows in person.

The statues were commissioned by the first Chin emperor of China. Previously it had been customary for rulers to have their concubines and/or warriors put to death upon the ruler’s passing, to accompany them into the afterlife. Chin, an early humanist, decided it was impractical to murder his loyal army of thousands, so instead he had them painstakingly recreated in clay, men and horse alike, fashioned with extreme unique detail so that no face or foot was the same. This project took 37 years to complete. The results were buried alongside Chin.

5B440E88-3650-4B75-85AA-40727B8F19BD.jpeg

And the Terracotta mausoleum was forgotten, swallowed up by the dirt, until around 1976 or so when a local farmer rediscovered them while digging a well. He became rich and famous. The former farmlands now teems with gigantic tour buses, common to any popular tourist site in China. A chintzy faux-traditional “village” has emerged selling trinkets and such. And still the Terracotta Warriors are a sight to behold, enclosed from the elements in a modern museum complex one mile away by foot through groves of pine and persimmon.

(Chin’s tomb is nearby, inaccessible to tourists and not yet explored by archeologists. Blame the underground river of mercury :jawdrop: which guards the emperor from vandals and provides him with a glorious afterlife.)

CCE1F9E3-B796-4196-ABA8-D09DBCDAD4A7.jpeg

Terracotta is still an active archaeological site, as not all of the TW have been completely excavated or restored. We started in Pit 2 (of 3), where most of the visible figures below in the dig site are smashed awaiting care. Completed masterpieces sit behind glass displays. Huge throngs of Chinese tourists pressed frantically against the railings both here and all throughout the attraction, their camera phones forever snapping away. It’s like visiting the Mona Lisa on a larger scale! Quickly we learned to deal with this, though it detracted from the experience.

2868AE1C-EA44-4186-9A6C-4EABA297B6F7.jpeg

Pit 1 was our next stop. It is the smallest, housing only 68 clay figures...but they’re all in perfect condition. The soldiers are arranged below in the dug-up tomb standing atop exposed ancient tiles, all in a military row. Side exhibits show a few figures which still have their original life like paint - flesh tones and colored clothes. We’re accustomed to the monotone clay look today (as we are with any ancient ruins as well), forgetting that’s often not how these old treasures appeared.

Pit 3 was the grand finale. It’s the one you’d recognize from pictures, the massive enclosure the size of several football fields with thousands upon thousands of completed figures lined up together guarding their tomb. There’s little more to be said about this. The scale is nearly impossible to grasp, and it wholly justified coming out here!

19BFA9C8-6709-440A-AAE6-C9A5660C9C1F.jpeg

Our lunch following this on the outskirts of the touristy knickknack district was a familiar lunch. Basically every meal we’ve taken over the last week has followed a pattern - we all sit at a circular table with a spinning Lazy Susan. The innkeeper selects the menu, usually 10 or so familiar-yet-authentic Chinese dishes varying from meat to vegetable, from savory to sweet, plus rice, all brought out one after another while we feast largely in silence as we recover from the day’s physical activities thus far.

After lunch we returned by minibus to Xi’an to gather our luggage and make our way back to the train station. Once again we had an overnight train ride, this one a 15 hour ordeal out to Shanghai. This ride proved more interesting than the last!

spacemt354

Chili's
This has doubtlessly been an extraordinary trip so far, and hastily typing about it on an iPhone in what little downtime I’ve found cannot begin to convey the full experience. All sensory elements combined, even traveling through the more generic parts of the country between major sights, it all really adds up.

We’re trapped by a mountain thunderstorm right now, but here’s a sample of what we’ve seen so far today hiking the Yellow Mountains:

View attachment 315153
That looks amazing.

I have one question - were the mountains floating? ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Afterwards we all walked back beyond the city walls to see the nighttime projection show. There wasn’t much to see there, just warm off-white lighting on the parapets. But the neon skyline opposite it was a sight to behold, framed like the entry gates to an amazing futuristic city!

c25231e2-a8a3-4a99-96dd-28d4264c8df2-jpeg.315269

And the entry gates to Old Xi’an were a sight as well, especially with the lights reflecting on the mist-moistened pavement. This setting was very dreamlike.

3202d18b-d554-421c-a3f0-d10eadedac8a-jpeg.315270

Those are amazing photos -- nighttime, with the rain effects - wow. You've visited some exciting places over there. (Makes me think of the old classic movie, Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy says, "We're not in Kansas anymore." ) ;)

James G.

View attachment 315266

Xi’an Recap Continued

On our own, we headed beyond the walls to the Small Goose Pagoda, walking past giant Gucci department stores and similar affluent symbols. We had neither the energy nor the wherewithal to find the further, better Great Pagoda. Both actually predate most of the inner city, standing as early monuments to China’s adoption of Buddhism.

We had some trouble entering the Pagoda grounds. Hu took all our passports for hotel check-in, and he still has them. Eventually we managed to use our drivers licenses to gain (free) entry, even though that’s something most Brits don’t possess. (My effort at bribing the ticket vendor - “Perhaps you know my friend Chairman Mao?” - failed due to a language barrier.)

The garden grounds surrounding the Small Goose Pagoda were lovely, quiet and serene - a common feeling I get from all these city-set Chinese gardens, which I cannot get enough of. To our surprise, the grounds also hosted the sleekly modern Museum of Xi’an, a free-to-enter exhibit of ancient religious artifacts which held little aesthetic or historic interest to our group given our unfamiliarity with the topic. We mostly enjoyed the museum’s Getty-esque architecture and AC.

View attachment 315267

After this, the time had come for another brief pause back in the hotel before heading out again for the evening. It was a few kilometer walk out to the Pagoda, so we took Xi’an metro back to the Bell Tower in the city center. It was hard getting our proper orientation from there towards the hotel, but eventually we got reorientated.

Throughout the tour, Intrepid has provided optional up-charge experiences. The hutong and cricket experience in Beijing was one of those. Hu presented a dinner and music show for us in Xi’an, but he made it sound fairly mediocre...on purpose I’m sure, so he could rush off to see his family that night. I can’t blame him at all! Hu instead hyped up a cheap local noodle house as his favorite eatery, so there was no debate amongst the group for our dinner plans. Gotta love their menu too: “large” or “small.” Xi’an food consistently seemed unique, with a distinctive lip tingle I’ve never gotten any place else.

View attachment 315268

View attachment 315269

View attachment 315270

Following this, we went to the nightlife area for beers.

We settled on a club featuring live musical acts. Barkers for the nearby shabbier clubs begged fruitlessly for our business. We split 12 beers amongst 10 people for the discount, and pounded through several rounds of that since Chinese beer isn’t very alcoholic and the bottles were tiny. (Compare this to the refreshing 2-liter Tsingtao beers we had after completing 10 miles on the Great Wall, which will remain one of the trip’s great group memories.)

As the night progressed, the club filled up with more and more Xi’anian residents all whooping it up. (It was a Sunday night.) A fat, sweaty Triad gangster sat with his too-young girlfriend at a table near ours, where he had club management bring out his private hookah and a specialized meal of fruits and duck neck.

Soon the Triad invited Tony (a lanky bald Brit who I’ve teasingly taken to calling “Jason Statham”) to join him. Tony has a strange charisma with the Chinese people, always picking up a friend wherever he goes. I enjoy the same attention in Japan, but no one in China seems to love an American. :cry:

While the rest of us remained in our group, Tony celebrate drunkenly with the Triad. The gangster scanned our table, and rather arbitrarily he eventually chose Martin and then me to join his fabulous table which had now moved to the base of the performance stage. I wasn’t too keen on this but still I joined. The Triad was way too touchy-feely and amorous, on top of being stupendously drunk, and while Tony didn’t seem to mind his grabbiness, I wasn’t so enamored.

View attachment 315271

Though I can’t truly complain about the free shots of Hennessy which the Triad provides us all with. He was even impressed by my ability to pound them away (I was mostly looking to speed through this encounter). Tony had a head start on my and we ended with his 6 shots to my 3 (Martin abstained). Though I had less to drink, I shouldn’t have been that much more sober than Tony, who I wound up having to co-carry back to the hotel draped over my shoulder along with Permin’s (our group’s Swiss mountain man).

Tony awoke the following day with a splitting hangover, while I awoke feeling the same as ever. I sleep great, in fact, aided since the Xi’an hotel was the fanciest I’ve stayed at to date on this trip.

Next up: The reason we came out to Xi’an
Douglas, we've done a few vacation trips together- so why don't I remember doing any late-night drunken parties with you? Worried you couldn't keep up with me? ;)

D Hulk

Original Poster
It looks like I might not get to write a proper recap for a while. Here’s a quick summary of what’s happened since I last let off:

We arrived by train in Shanghai on Tuesday and spent the day touring it.

On Wednesday we took a slow public bus out to the Huangshan area, with little time left in the day for activities.

Thursday was for hiking the stupendous Huangshan Mountains (Yellow Mountains).

Friday, we toured the enchanting Emerald Valley in the morning and the ancient water village of Hongcun in the afternoon.

Today has been another slow bus ride back into Shanghai. This evening will be the group’s final evening together, with plenty of nightlife planned.

Tomorrow we split off and I travel solo to Hangzhou, to West Lake.

On Monday I go to Suzhou, another ancient water town. This also happens to be the Harvest Festival, a major holiday.

For that reason Tuesday is largely dedicated to Suzhou as well before I return to Shanghai and make my way to Shanghai Disneyland.

Wednesday is entirely for Disneyland! On Thursday I go home.

Once I get to Disneyland, I might start some live updating on the resort and attractions before then resuming whatever previous days I haven’t covered yet.

D Hulk

Original Poster
While I presently wait in the Shanghai Railway Station, let’s return to the recaps...

7A822547-4CBD-429C-B883-602B8E636A44.jpeg

The overnight train from Xi’an to Shanghai was longer than the train out of Beijing, 15 hours total, but it was surprisingly a lot more enjoyable. The other passengers were more boisterous and friendly, not stiff and paranoid like the Beijing passengers, which I think reflects the looser and more joyous personalities of Xi’an and Shanghai. (Xi’an has been the friendliest town so far, where if I had to live in China...)

E23F524C-348B-4FE6-99F9-899B10A5386F.jpeg

We left Xi’an around 4, meaning plenty of time to mingle before mandatory lights out at 10. Our little group of westerners spread out across three different train cars and many more semi-private compartments. With Intrepid’s hotel room policies, this would be the only chance on the trip for coed rooming. We could make our own choices! Anna and I bunked together (umm...along with four Chinese strangers).

We made friends with those strangers rather quickly. So did our travel buddies in their compartments. Some knew decent English and were happy to practice, while others relied on a slower Google Translate process while still having bubbly, mirthful interactions. Chinese people are very generous, so we all shared the various snacks we brought along for the long ride.

Our tour leader Hu took a little time once we were underway to help me make my train reservations for the post-group part of the trip which I’ve just now begun. This was invaluable! Today is the peak of a holiday weekend (tomorrow is the Mid-Autumn Festival), and I needed to reserve tickets ahead of time. This can only be done by someone with a Chinese ID card, plus many other technical complications. Simply put, it would be impossible for a foreigner to do. I am super grateful to Hu!

08E16F38-1E9E-4D58-8D1A-B2708489647B.jpeg

As the ride continued across the soggy Chinese countryside (where “ghost cities” under construction are perpetually visible), the whole group gathered in the narrow hallway near my compartment. I’d purchased a high end bottle of rice wine in Xi’an. We happily enjoyed the boozy beverage together - somewhat a cross between sake and vodka - and even shared some with our new Chinese friends. Much laughter and conversation followed!

CF3E31BA-D39E-4C9B-9BA3-0A33DCBA0F12.jpeg

Even sleep was better on this train than the last one. Functioning AC helped, and this time I actually slept under a blanket. The hard train cots remained only passably sleepable, but any little comfort helps. Anna occasionally sighed in her sleep with a British accent.

The train pulled into Shanghai Railway Station around 9 AM (same time and place for me now actually). Soon we were exploring modern, amazing Shanghai for the day!

(Less interesting images and sightseeing in this update, I know, but these trains were a major part of my Chinese experience so far.)

D Hulk

Original Poster
With all of Shanghai’s glistening magnificence suddenly presented before us...we went straight to our youth hostel!

We took a private minibus Hu had arranged. Luckily as before we managed to check in ahead of schedule when it’s likely we’d have just been dropping off our bags. So we all got a chance to shower and change in our own rooms, which was hugely appreciated after the night train and Shanghai’s sudden unexpected humidity.

9336B436-8249-4B31-8FE0-FF6FBE390308.jpeg

This must have been a final late-summer heatwave, because Shanghai has been far more temperate since then - as my research suggested it would be. But for this first day Shanghai was nearly as hot and as wet as Hong Kong was last year. Sticky, inescapable moisture under a blazing sun. A chaotic city to explore. We soon set out for a 10 mile walking tour.

Okay, first I went out ahead of schedule with Tony and Khanh to wander our nearby neighborhood, which felt a bit decentralized on the northwestern corner of the main metro line. Tons of recent construction (turnaround is fast in China!) means an area with little to do at present. We finally retreated to a nearby shopping mall, primarily for its air conditioning, as we failed to find anything of touristy interest.

D62008FE-5804-4CCE-8E1E-397E14810D6F.jpeg

Shanghai is super modern and sleek and clean, fairly similar to western mega-cities but on an even grander scale. This city has a population of 25 million, five times Los Angeles’, 2.5 times the nation of Switzerland :jawdrop:; I think it’s the world’s most populous city.

Now with more reference points, I can comfortably say that Beijing is really messy and unkempt. I’ll excuse the ancient hutong neighborhoods, which are charming. But 20th-century Communist Beijing is mismanaged, polluted, and full of crumbling concrete stairs underfoot. It is a city designed for government control. Shanghai is a city designed for its residents. It is easy to explore despite the unparalleled scale, with beautiful skyscrapers and sensible roadways which look spotless under the expected chaos and crowds.

B8BB2877-B8B9-4172-AE94-5B87759365B2.jpeg

City Central Hostel was nice too. Okay, the rooms were basic, 3-star, functional. But the common space where we grabbed a quick cool drink while awaiting the group, these areas burst with personality as any good hostel should. The ambiance felt somewhat Thai, particularly with the day’s weather.

Ultimately we set out in on our tour, beginning with a metro trip out to the Bund. Hu took too long explaining the metro system to us, especially considering most had used it unaided while in Beijing. Still, every group always has the one confused straggler - ours was Martin - who needs constant reminders to not lose his passport or to drink the gutter water.

The Bund is at the heart of modern Shanghai. A great river cuts through the city - the river’s name I don’t know and I don’t want to turn on my VPN right now to access Google. Shanghai has developed along this river over the past two centuries or so.

Back then it was a more lawless place, free from the restrictive rules of Chinese emperors, and packed full of Westerners getting a foothold in Asia, from British to French to Portuguese. Their cultural influence can be seen from the early 20th century buildings to the bridges and layout. This was the era of the opium den and Tong gangsters. European capitalism adapting to a new continent.

9336330F-C7F2-4F0C-ADF2-49188DABFEAC.jpeg

Over the next century, capitalism has shaped Shanghai in more spectacular ways. The river’s eastern shore, opposite our location, developed into a financial district to rival Wall Street. The past two decades have seen tremendous construction reshape the skyline into the envy of the world, with dozens of buildings dwarfing most you’d find in New York or Chicago. These include the distinctive Pearl Tower (all names are approximate memories), a TV Tower which resembles a Tesla coil taller than Godzilla.

B395AEA4-01F8-4A21-A98F-90BCBEADC603.jpeg

American companies responded with a then-tallest titan which looks like an awkward modernist Empire State Building crossed with a pagoda.

The Japanese topped that with a minimalist masterpiece meant to resemble two samurai swords crossing, but which we all decided really resembled a bottle opener.

Finally the Chinese outdid everyone with the world’s second tallest building, dwarfed only by the Burj al Arab in Dubai, a twisting trinket of blue glass and unseen steel vanishing into the heavenly mists above.

We continued down the Bund waterfront pedestrian walkway admiring this skyline the whole way. On the river’s west, we passed a stone People’s Monument (Chinese communism began in Shanghai) and many Art Deco assembly halls - one boasting a replica of London’s Big Ben. The Bund is long, stretching well over a mile under the baking sun - a distance we definitely felt with the day’s weather. The Bund reminds me somewhat of Chicago’s Millennium Park, but of course far huger and with careful intricate urban design to match.

D Hulk

Original Poster
We were more than ready for a break after making this trek. Besides, no one had really eaten yet for the day. With mid-afternoon approaching, we took a late lunch in a restaurant founded by Bruce Lee :D hidden upstairs from a generic convenience store. It was another pot luck meal served on a Lazy Susan, satisfying and tasty as them all, yet most of this trip’s meals are blurring together in my mind.

777FF841-D958-4DB9-98E4-A5C61FA408F7.jpeg

Following lunch we visited an older shopping area inland from the river. This felt more traditional with its confluence of curved Asian roof lines and its accumulation of detail, all aided by smaller traditional shops mixed in with modern brands. I wish I could recall this district’s name!

872F24CD-0C36-49BE-86C0-EA5BE80F4093.jpeg

Given free time to explore, Anna and I ignored the stores and instead visited Yu Garden. This is found across a crisscrossing concrete bridge over lily ponds, all framing the most famous tea house in China perched on stilts and immaculately shaped.

BF0CF658-CC10-4E5C-874B-1FAA031C060F.jpeg

The garden itself sits behind stone walls, accessed by circular moon gate. Having seen countless Chinese gardens in Beijing and beyond, this gets my vote as the most beautiful by far. It is built on a wildly intimate scale, an oasis of calm in the shadow of 21st-century edifices. The garden is divided into dozens of sub-spaces, a gentle maze of walls and river rocks and streams artfully revealing each new square in turn. Exploration reveals surprises, more than you would expect, combining into a remarkable landscaping masterpiece.

558CBE3E-AC1C-4C67-A54D-0692A653C731.jpeg

Anna was enchanted, admiring the tranquil calm from under a pagoda and declaring it deeply romantic. :inlove: Though we have each other’s emails and whatnot now, I’m gonna miss her way off in London. We both knew such a brief vacation fling couldn’t last beyond the week, and its fleeting nature made moments like this all the more bittersweet.

06FD1E8B-F3E6-4E86-8260-EDCFC56B1CD4.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom