News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

Haymarket2008

If you like Restoration Hardware.. You'll Love Reflections.

LOL. Interestingly, there was a large faction of people that were very much against the inclusion of the Swan/Dolphin and saw it as generic hotels that would stick out like sore thumbs amidst the hyper themed resort roster of WDW in the early 90's. While they don't rank anywhere close to my favorite resorts, there is a certain novelty to finding properties around WDW that reflect its' time. It is part of what makes the architecture around property so wonderful. I'm not crazy about the Riviera being an example of late 2010's resort aesthetic though.

UNCgolf

LOL. Interestingly, there was a large faction of people that were very much against the inclusion of the Swan/Dolphin and saw it as generic hotels that would stick out like sore thumbs amidst the hyper themed resort roster of WDW in the early 90's. While they don't rank anywhere close to my favorite resorts, there is a certain novelty to finding properties around WDW that reflect its' time. It is part of what makes the architecture around property so wonderful. I'm not crazy about the Riviera being an example of late 2010's resort aesthetic though.

I still feel that way to an extent (although they're not generic) -- I think they're eyesores that take away from the Boardwalk. I give them a pass in this conversation, though, because they're not actually Disney resorts and the architecture is at least unique, even if I'm not a fan.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The Swan and Dolphin are at least the distinctive work of a prominent architect.

Magic Feather

Everything I’ve seen out of Reflection is really weird thematically. The outside is inoffensive, but a little bland. Relying on natural materials to “Create” a theme, but wood and stone don’t make a theme. Then, there is the inside, where the general spaces recreate the same general wood & stone looks, but then the inside is planned to be filled with somewhat gaudy representations of “woodsy” Disney properties. Some of the aspects (like the rooms and giant, obnoxious Pocahontas Statue in the lobby) that have already had concept art leaked, should give an idea as to what is in store.

It’s just a really weird balance of not enough on the outside and too much on the inside.

TrojanUSC

Everything I’ve seen out of Reflection is really weird thematically. The outside is inoffensive, but a little bland. Relying on natural materials to “Create” a theme, but wood and stone don’t make a theme. Then, there is the inside, where the general spaces recreate the same general wood & stone looks, but then the inside is planned to be filled with somewhat gaudy representations of “woodsy” Disney properties. Some of the aspects (like the rooms and giant, obnoxious Pocahontas Statue in the lobby) that have already had concept art leaked, should give an idea as to what is in store.

It’s just a really weird balance of not enough on the outside and too much on the inside.

The room renderings look hideous with giant cartoon murals.

It's strange... I used to think that Disney did have to modernize a bit with their hotel and room portfolio. Keep some theming, while not feeling like a 2.5* motel room for $700/night. They were 15 years behind the times in every element, from slow wifi to no USB outlets, terrible mattresses, dark dingy bathrooms, pretty lackluster service, etc. Now it's like they veered to far in the other direction, with these generic hotels with vague additions of characters for no real reason. Still waiting for someone to explain to me why Tiana's is going in Reflections vs at Port Orleans (other than the obvious that PO is a moderate).

YorkshireT

I thought Reflections looks a lot better than Riviera, which I agree is a very generic looking hotel, built on a very generic piece of land with a massive car park and road out front. Reflections looks much, much better than that.

Robbiem

And along with the Team Disney building, the last real attempt at any sort of serious architecture on property.

like or hate the swan and dolphin or team disney they try to be something fun you wouldn’t find in the real world. They may have dated a bit but like most things in time their ageing will become a theme in itself rather like how the contemporary now feels like a mid century Modern themed resort Rather than a vision of the future

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom