News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

Dr.GrantSeeker

I am looking forward to more images, I really hope the Pocahontas thing is wrong, other than the penguins from Mary Poppins in the fountain at VGF is there another deluxe resort that features a character in the lobby as you enter? I can't think of one. Not sure why they'd start now. There is so much wrong with this that the idea makes me want to vomit.

I thought at one point all DVCs were supposed to be represented by a Disney character. Beach club is Ariel, VGF are the penguins, honestly I can't think of others. But for some reason this sounds familiar to me. 🧐

scottieRoss

sorry, but I have to say I love what I have seen so far. The days of over the top theming are limited in the hospitality industry. Nothing screams 1990 like a giant resort that does not fit the surroundings but is themed to the nines. Look at what is happening in Las Vegas, the other big home of over the top themings. It is being removed and made much more subtle. This hotel is designed to blend into and appreciate the natural beautiful surroundings. They are the highlight. Think Frank Lloyd Wright but updated to this century. This hotel is definitely 2020 in design yet is harmonious with its surroundings. The food court looks amazing. The lobby will make you want to commune with nature.

jt04

sorry, but I have to say I love what I have seen so far. The days of over the top theming are limited in the hospitality industry. Nothing screams 1990 like a giant resort that does not fit the surroundings but is themed to the nines. Look at what is happening in Las Vegas, the other big home of over the top themings. It is being removed and made much more subtle. This hotel is designed to blend into and appreciate the natural beautiful surroundings. They are the highlight. Think Frank Lloyd Wright but updated to this century. This hotel is definitely 2020 in design yet is harmonious with its surroundings. The food court looks amazing. The lobby will make you want to commune with nature.

I'm not sure the renderings above have the necessary "timeless" quality guests should expect from a Disney property.

eddie104

lazyboy97o

Theme is not the same as stuff. This is only related to Frank Lloyd Wright because it is lower-case modern.

TylerFromMI

What in the flaming pile of garbage is that concept art? Are they joking? (I really hope this is a joke.)

It somehow looks *worse* than Gaylord's attempt at a similar concept. Just let Marriott run the hotels at this point if you can't deliver better theme-ing. At least I would get points, and I am pretty sure the service and cleanliness standards would be higher.

View attachment 398251

Ohhh, what property is this?

mgf

Better but the character integration just seems so... value. It isn't cleaver or sophisticated. It's just shoved because "nature".

I am getting a little Sagrada Familia vibe from the column to tree in the the third picture, which I like. Makes me wish they had leaned into the style harder at (edit to fix hotel name) Gran Destino Tower.

It sure seems like the resorts side of the house is flailing around at the moment... None of this recent work wows.

Last edited:

jt04

Better but the character integration just seems so... value. It isn't cleaver or sophisticated. It's just shoved because "nature".

I am getting a little Sagrada Familia vibe from the column to tree in the the third picture, which I like. Makes me wish they had leaned into the style harder at Riviera.

It sure seems like the resorts side of the house is flailing around at the moment... None of this recent work wows.

I disagree with you on the lobby of the Gran Destino. Best thing since the WL.

Unbanshee

Can we at least agree that this doesn't look like Disney concept art, but rather colored elevation plans and maybe a design bid? It's clear corless is getting a lot of stuff from third party contractors. I heard air conditioning companies were given keys to the kingdom with regards to blueprints for upcoming attractions...

lazyboy97o

Can we at least agree that this doesn't look like Disney concept art, but rather colored elevation plans and maybe a design bid? It's clear corless is getting a lot of stuff from third party contractors. I heard air conditioning companies were given keys to the kingdom with regards to blueprints for upcoming attractions...
The Disney released promotional art for Gran Destino and Riviera more than likely came from a third party and not Disney. In all of these cases they appear to be renderings generates off of the Revit model (the “blueprints”).

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
@marni1971 @wdwmagic

I have been wondering, with the generic nature of the last few WDW resorts. How much of the design is actually being carried out by imagineering these days? Do they actually do any of the design? Or is it just a sorta final approval type thing?

Also, How does their involvement compare to say, their involvement with the Animal Kingdom Lodge development?

SeaCastle

@marni1971 @wdwmagic

I have been wondering, with the generic nature of the last few WDW resorts. How much of the design is actually being carried out by imagineering these days? Do they actually do any of the design? Or is it just a sorta final approval type thing?

Also, How does their involvement compare to say, their involvement with the Animal Kingdom Lodge development?

Think Disney oversees the whole process but architectural design is done by outside groups:

Fugelberg Koch designed Port Orleans, Old Key West, and Caribbean Beach
Robert Stern did the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach
Michael Graves did Swan and Dolphin
Peter Dominick did AKL and Wilderness Lodge
Wimberly, Allison, Tong & Goo did Grand Floridian
Graham Gund did Saratoga and Coronado Springs

lazyboy97o

@marni1971 @wdwmagic

The hotels have a long history with the hired architects driving more of the design with input and approval from Walt Disney Imagineering. Welton Becket reportedly disliked the demand to have a monorail in his hotel. The Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Grand Californian are all Peter Dominick projects. Reflections is actually being lead by the same firm that did the original Grand Floridian.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom