News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney have filed a SFWMD permit today to do geotech boring for "project 89". You can see in the image below that this is near Ft Wilderness of both sides of the old River County site. These borings are done to determine the soil structure in a area where they plan to build.

1520350631030.png

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Disney have filed a SFWMD permit today to do geotech boring for "project 89". You can see in the image below that this is near Ft Wilderness of both sides of the old River County site. These borings are done to ***** the soil structure in a area where they plan to build.

View attachment 268624

Setting aside for a minute what they might be doing to the soil that could be "misconstrued"!

I'm thinking this could go one of two ways. It could be straightforward drilling to see what kind of foundations might be needed in the future, what they might be building on (toxicity etc).

But a temporary Wetland Exhibit could also be something akin to Discovery Island perhaps? Demolish the existing unsafe structures and create some kind of wildlife reserve/sanctuary.

It would be a shame if FW is going to be over-shadowed by another resort. OTOH, maybe they want to expand the cabins.

spresso81

Great find Dan as usual!

I for one am happy about this permit. While I loved River Country as a child, this site has sadly fallen apart over the years. This is a great location and it should be developed. Great views and close to MK, it would be a good place to stay (hotel or DVC).

Hopefully, WDI comes up with a plan similar in scope and size to the previous proposals for this area. I hope they do not put up another 10 plus story bland tower. However, a hotel which fits into the Western-theme of Ft. Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge could be a great addition.

Bender123

Good assessment.

I like it as is...The idea of somebody doing horrible things to the River Country soil makes me giggle like a fifth grader. Its not like WDW hasn't basically been ********** the property over the past few years, anyway.

trainplane3

I thought they did a fine job with Copper Creek.
Gotta agree. I was worried that it would make the "quiet" (DVC) side noisey due to the larger pool attracting more people but it's basically the same. They just stuck some cabins out there and beefed the theming up along the lake. The new food place is nice and it looks great overall. I really can't complain.

mm121

Isn't this a coincidence. I was on Maps today and noticed River Country is still on there? Or has it recently been added? Regardless, sent a request to set it as closed.
View attachment 268644
Could this be happening again?

https://dvcinfo.com/four-dvc-resorts-that-might-have-been/

really hope this ISNT what their doing!!

while some type of river country redevelopment wouldnt be a bad thing this just looks way overbuilt for the area
and knowing what riviera and corinado look like the final project would look nothing like this rendering

always thought it would be nice to turn river country into a spa or something,

if they absolutely MUST develop something here, would be cool to do like swiss family Robinson tree houses or something, really anything other than a high rise, i know the density would be lower but that would just make it more exclusive

think an entire resort of exclusive luxury units

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Setting aside for a minute what they might be doing to the soil that could be "misconstrued"!

I'm thinking this could go one of two ways. It could be straightforward drilling to see what kind of foundations might be needed in the future, what they might be building on (toxicity etc).

But a temporary Wetland Exhibit could also be something akin to Discovery Island perhaps? Demolish the existing unsafe structures and create some kind of wildlife reserve/sanctuary.

It would be a shame if FW is going to be over-shadowed by another resort. OTOH, maybe they want to expand the cabins.

Every time I have seen one of these it has been in preparation for something they already have plans to build. Temporary Wetland Impact simply means that they need to do this drilling work in wetlands, but this permit is not asking to build anything permeant there. The request for something permanent would come in the next permit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom