News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

Heppenheimer

No, Disney’s rock work is very much custom and hand carved. Top craftsmen do that work for Disney. The problem is it’s overuse as a substitute for actually shaping space and creating a layered environment that speaks to habitation.
True, but I meant in a more general sense outside of Disney. It seems nearly every new house in Ontario, for example, has some kind of faux stone exterior. It looks nice enough, but I would hate to see this mass-produced trend start to creep into Disney designs, whenever they actually get back to building anything new.

lazyboy97o

True, but I meant in a more general sense outside of Disney. It seems nearly every new house in Ontario, for example, has some kind of faux stone exterior. It looks nice enough, but I would hate to see this mass-produced trend start to creep into Disney designs, whenever they actually get back to building anything new.
Those are hideous and really poorly used. I see it everywhere and they look fake because they have no depth and get glued into weird places where stones would not be used. It’s the whole issue of not considering how and why materials were used. The one that drives me nuts is when they’re just sort of floating there; heavy materials go on the bottom. You wouldn’t have little bits of wood holding up a far too large stone column.

note2001

No, Disney’s rock work is very much custom and hand carved. Top craftsmen do that work for Disney. The problem is it’s overuse as a substitute for actually shaping space and creating a layered environment that speaks to habitation.
I was under the impression that Disney would bring in the junior imagineers to do rock work. They get hired for having a diversity of skills not specifically becuase they are amazing artists (some happen to be).

brb1006

I doubt we will ever see another effort along the lines of Wilderness Lodge or the Grand Floridian coming from Disney. The time, care, attention to details and craftsmanship are something Disney pre-covid would not pay for, certainly they won't pay for them now. Someday perhaps they will return to quality.
As mentioned in this thread, Peter Dominick seriously deserves more credit! He's responsible for designing Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge.
Peter-Dominick-07.jpg

His death in 2009 was a big loss for the designers over at Imagineering.

Last edited:

brb1006

And the Grand Californian
Thanks for pointing that out, here's various photos of all three hotels/resorts that he worked on.

Animal Kingdom Lodge
48670029398_9581b2b918_b.jpg

disney-s-animal-kingdom-lodge-buena-vista-orlando-area-florida-103674-3.jpg

Wilderness Lodge
pools-wilderness-lodge-03.jpg
fisheye-totem-pole-top-christmas-wilderness-lodge-disney-world-bricker.jpg

Grand Californian
4da00d33_z.jpg

You can tell Peter had a style when it comes to designing the lobby areas. No wonder he's considered to be the Joe Rhode of the Disney Hotels/Resorts when it comes to design and theming. He seriously deserves more appreciation, that's what make his death in 2009 much sadder.

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Stucco on mcmansions is the ugliest! I don't understand why that became a thing (other than it's much cheaper). The last 10 years in Ohio they've started building houses that are sided or brick on the front and then stucco everywhere else. It looks completely ridiculous. People pay $600K for those houses. I don't get it.

note2001

As mentioned in this thread, Peter Dominick seriously deserves more credit! He's responsible for designing Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge.
Peter-Dominick-07.jpg

Yes.
Peter Dominick also designed Kidani, Boulder Ridge and Disney's Grand Californian

edit - I see you added images below this post I quoted :)

brb1006

Yes.
Peter Dominick also designed Kidani, Boulder Ridge and Disney's Grand Californian

edit - I see you added images below this post I quoted :)
Had to add a picture of Peter since we hardly seen any photos of him. Found that picture after an article reporting on his passing from January 2009.

lazyboy97o

I was under the impression that Disney would bring in the junior imagineers to do rock work. They get hired for having a diversity of skills not specifically becuase they are amazing artists (some happen to be).
The days of people being moved between very different tasks are long since passed. Walt Disney Imagineering is very specialized. The quality of rock work at Disney is the work of dedicated, skilled sculptors.

Peter-Dominick-07.jpg

Just a note, but Peter was never an Imagineer. Like Welton Becket, Michael Graves, Robert A. M. Stern or even firms like WATG, he was a third-party architect hired and supervised by Walt Disney Imagineering but also entrusted with the entire scope of design.

BigDlover

Thanks for pointing that out, here's various photos of all three hotels/resorts that he worked on.

Animal Kingdom Lodge
48670029398_9581b2b918_b.jpg

disney-s-animal-kingdom-lodge-buena-vista-orlando-area-florida-103674-3.jpg

Grand Floridian
pools-wilderness-lodge-03.jpg
fisheye-totem-pole-top-christmas-wilderness-lodge-disney-world-bricker.jpg

Grand Californian
4da00d33_z.jpg

You can tell Peter had a style when it comes to designing the lobby areas. No wonder he's considered to be the Joe Rhode of the Disney Hotels/Resorts when it comes to design and theming. He seriously deserves more appreciation, that's what make his death in 2009 much sadder.
Lovely hotels. All too similiar imo but they're all beautiful.

Mattyp353

I doubt we will ever see another effort along the lines of Wilderness Lodge or the Grand Floridian coming from Disney. The time, care, attention to details and craftsmanship are something Disney pre-covid would not pay for, certainly they won't pay for them now. Someday perhaps they will return to quality.

I like it. Far more welcoming than the old one.
Certainly more rustic than the hundreds of travel trailers and motor coaches filling up the bulk of the fort. Fits right in.

I thought it was my imagination (or that I am getting older) that those details seem to lack now.

BigDlover

Have you been to all three? I’ve always found them to each have unique identities.
Yes and they def are all pretty unique, although GC and WL are more similiar than AKL. I just don't think we needed 3 lodge-y hotels, or at least not two in WDW. I hope Reflections (if it still happens) isn't too similiar.

lazyboy97o

Yes and they def are all pretty unique, although GC and WL are more similiar than AKL. I just don't think we needed 3 lodge-y hotels, or at least not two in WDW. I hope Reflections (if it still happens) isn't too similiar.
The promotional art clearly showed Reflections wasn’t even close to similar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom