Reedy Creek Improvement District long-term land use meeting 2023

JoeCamel

ummm the theme park and the two water parks were already in the plan?
It sounds like they are just getting around to finalizing the 2020 plan three years late. Maybe they want to get it on record before summer but it seems more like g'ment operating as per normal

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
ummm the theme park and the two water parks were already in the plan?
It sounds like they are just getting around to finalizing the 2020 plan three years late. Maybe they want to get it on record before summer but it seems more like g'ment operating as per normal

I updated my post to note that it looks like the 2020 plan was adopted as the 2032 plan in the May 25, 2022 meeting (see agenda item 6I). So I think this is incremental to that.

UNCgolf

Based on the planning docs, it looks like they consider either Disney Springs or WWOS a minor park. The current number of minor parks is 3.

I'd guess WWOS -- back in the 90s/early 2000s they advertised (or at least pushed it to guests) as something to go do and it had sports-related activities like attempting to kick field goals from different distances (no idea if it still offers this but they certainly don't suggest it's something for regular guests to visit any more). I think the Disney bus system even went there regularly, although I'm not positive about that.

ToTBellHop

I'd guess WWOS -- back in the 90s/early 2000s they advertised (or at least pushed it to guests) as something to go do and it had sports-related activities like attempting to kick field goals from different distances (no idea if it still offers this but they certainly don't seem to suggest it's something for regular guests to visit anymore). I think the Disney bus system even went there regularly, although I'm not positive about that.
Correct on the buses. They had BoardWalk buses back then, too!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have to ask: Is all this for show? I mean, the RCID as currently constituted is repealed on 6/1/23. Don't misunderstand, there will continue to be a special district after what comes out of the Florida Legislative Session. But the RCID as it exists today will no longer exist.

All of a sudden we see proposals for a new theme park and two water parks, among things just before we see proposed bills for the replacement special district.

This is not a proposal for new parks or anything else. This type of resource planning would be needed whether RCID exists or not.

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is not a proposal for new parks or anything else. This type of resource planning would be needed whether RCID exists or not.

I got clarification just now that this was to get approval to bring the land use regulations in line with the 2032 plan.

I'm following up with: "So were the land use regulations not already in line with the 2032 plan, which has been around since 2010?" Because there are two options:
  1. They were not in line for the last 12 years. In which case, what's driving the need to do it now?
  2. They were in line, in which case this is clearly new authority for more stuff.

Comped

I'd guess WWOS -- back in the 90s/early 2000s they advertised (or at least pushed it to guests) as something to go do and it had sports-related activities like attempting to kick field goals from different distances (no idea if it still offers this but they certainly don't suggest it's something for regular guests to visit any more). I think the Disney bus system even went there regularly, although I'm not positive about that.
I was told by someone in the room when WWoS was being built that "it was intended to be, and green lit by Michael [Eisner] to be, the 5th gate". Never quite fulfilled its promises though, particularly since it never had year-round professional events or teams.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I got clarification just now that this was to get approval to bring the land use regulations in line with the 2032 plan.

I'm following up with: "So were the land use regulations not already in line with the 2032 plan, which has been around since 2010?" Because there are two options:
  1. They were not in line for the last 12 years. In which case, what's driving the need to do it now?
  2. They were in line, in which case this is clearly new authority for more stuff.
You were getting at leverage before and that seems most likely. If there's any possibility that RCID governance changes then it makes sense make your layups now before the state government postures it will make you take full court length shots or force concessions. While Disney controls everything it should be reducing *any* future leverage the state may identify. Getting a plan in line reduces ambiguity risks and conflict risks (if unaligned) and leaving things like intent up to a third party like a court or arbitrator. This may be similar to contract law concept of "contra proferentum" where in conflicts where one side drew up the documents and there's an ambiguoty then it may go against the drafter, which is essentially Disney. It's be very state law specific. I have no idea if this would mean anything in Florida specifically but the idea that Disney controls everything through RCID and idea that that control may be weakened should be enough to motivate the Board to quickly tie any loose ends.

And acknowledging that I could be barking up the wrong tree.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You were getting at leverage before and that seems most likely. If there's any possibility that RCID governance changes then it makes sense make your layups now before the state government postures it will make you take full court length shots or force concessions. While Disney controls everything it should be reducing *any* future leverage the state may identify. Getting a plan in line reduces ambiguity risks and conflict risks (if unaligned) and leaving things like intent up to a third party like a court or arbitrator. This may be similar to contract law concept of "contra proferentum" where in conflicts where one side drew up the documents and there's an ambiguoty then it may go against the drafter, which is essentially Disney. It's be very state law specific. I have no idea if this would mean anything in Florida specifically but the idea that Disney controls everything through RCID and idea that that control may be weakened should be enough to motivate the Board to quickly tie any loose ends.

And acknowledging that I could be barking up the wrong tree.

According to the document, this is required by Florida law...

"The Plan is formulated to meet requirements of the Florida Local Government Comprehensive Planning and Development Regulation Act, found in Section 163 of Florida statutes and their administrative regulations. When it is adopted by the District and approved by the state, it will supersede the prior plan adopted in 1999."

But with that said, I don't believe there is anything legally binding in the plan. It is basically a set of guidelines for development.

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
You were getting at leverage before and that seems most likely. If there's any possibility that RCID governance changes then it makes sense make your layups now before the state government postures it will make you take full court length shots or force concessions.
I think you’re right.

The land use regs were not, for whatever reason, updated over the last dozen years. And they decided that they should do it now, with this Board of Supervisors.

denyuntilcaught

I was told by someone in the room when WWoS was being built that "it was intended to be, and green lit by Michael [Eisner] to be, the 5th gate". Never quite fulfilled its promises though, particularly since it never had year-round professional events or teams.
I find this really interesting. Does anyone know more about this?

UNCgolf

I find this really interesting. Does anyone know more about this?

I don't know anything about that, but it absolutely had a collection of activities in the early years that goes along with the idea it was intended to be an actual destination for resort guests instead of simply a collection of sports venues.

If they'd built the NBA Experience in the late 90s, I think they'd have put it at WWoS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom