News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

ohioguy

How I wish it were possible for Disney just to pull out of the state and take up shop elsewhere. It would cripple Florida's economy and show the legislature who really calls the shots. Punishing a company for political purposes is a horrendous precedent and needs to be challenged, called-out, and end with a public flogging of the perpetrator.

Heath

I know you are saying you understand the first amendment but in your Bruce Willis example if he was arrested or the police intervened to stop him that would be a first amendment violation. They could maybe remove him from the street for his own safety to prevent a more serious crime from occurring if his life was at risk but they cannot stop him from expressing his views. The consequences he would face is getting punched in the face (if he’s lucky that’s all) and that would be a separate crime (assault) but the guy who punched him would not be violating his first amendment right to free speech.

As far as Disney calling the action a punishment that’s exactly what it is. It’s not flimsy. The government taking away a benefit very much can be a punishment. If my kid says something I don’t like and I take his phone away it’s still a punishment even though his phone is a privilege and not a right. My son cannot sue me for violating his first amendment rights because I’m not the government. The first amendment protects free speech by preventing the Government from restricting speech directly or taking punitive action to chill speech. The Supreme Court has ruled that corporations have free speech rights too.

The court case revolves around Disney proving the action was done to punish them for Speaking out. Normally that can be difficult to prove in these cases. Fortunately for Disney the Governor took multiple victory laps bragging about taking down woke Disney to anyone who would listen and then doubled down by writing it in a book. It’s going to be hard to argue this wasn’t retaliation.
You are right, my Bruce Willis ex isn’t a good one, I was trying to say free speech is complex and can have consequences. I opined about the wording being “flimsy” due to FL case law referencing singling out individual entities for retaliation, when the bill dissolves other districts beside Disney. The complaint more relies on the public statements you reference. Although we all know what the fight it’s really about, I was just questioning from a legal perspective.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The FL supreme court ruled otherwise in 1968.

And besides, if what you say is true, every development agreement in the state will be thrown out.
…this is what kills me…

So ONLY the big one with the most recognizable international brand name at the border is “the problem”???

…it’s almost like it has NOTHING to do with what goes on in the district at all?

Remember that kid who got attention for a week with some annoying, gimmicky joke or nagging pun in first grade?

All the rage on Wednesday…forgotten by Saturday

…hmmmm….what was the point?
Oh….STOP acting like there is any shred of credence to what’s going on. This is a clown show and the fact it’s a big, loudmouth state doing it means nothing. They’re still laughable hacks.

lazyboy97o

Disney did not do inspections; RCID did.
What inspections? You’ve said this several times but not answered what inspects are named in the land development agreement.

Zoning is a regulatory authority.
It’s a regulatory authority that can be exercised with broad discretion. There are places that don’t even have zoning. The zoning was created and is now locked in. It doesn’t get created afterwards.

Second, my interpretation of the RCID/WDW development agreement is that it vests Disney with dominate regulatory authority. Usually, there's some sort of reserve clause for the local government; "You do what you want but I reserve the right to check it, if I want to." In this particular agreement, Disney is superior, the district is subservient. You have Disney controlling the local government, which is just backwards.
What checks? Universal doesn’t go before the city or county for individual planning approval. Even at the Disneyland Resort, Disney doesn’t go for planning approval for everything. The deals are reviewed by their signed governments for compliance, which is not prohibited by Disney and the District’s agreement. The District can review compliance. The District can continue to evolve the land development regulations and if they find a genuine need for change can seek to make those modifications. The District though has not yet done that work that they can still do.

What's unusual about this particular development agreement is that the two parties are hostile to each other from the very day the agreement was signed.
That is not what happened and you know it.

orky8

How I wish it were possible for Disney just to pull out of the state and take up shop elsewhere. It would cripple Florida's economy and show the legislature who really calls the shots. Punishing a company for political purposes is a horrendous precedent and needs to be challenged, called-out, and end with a public flogging of the perpetrator.
But they can’t. So who really calls the shots?

Lilofan

WDW isn't going anywhere . There are things I wish for but one of them is not to cripple FL's economy. Some of the lowest paying industries , tourism and agriculture are the top two revenue producers for the Sunshine State.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
WDW isn't going anywhere . There are things I wish for but one of them is not to cripple FL's economy. Some of the lowest paying industries , tourism and agriculture are the top two revenue producers for the Sunshine State.
…then they should pay more and not spend their time bringing angry out of state people there that brag about how they don’t pay anything

JohnD

On third reading today for final passage in the House is SB 1604 which contains language voiding the Disney-RCID development agreement. Not on the calendar but could be taken up any time for final passage is HB 1305 which the Senate amended and passed 26-14 yesterday to include monorail inspections.

Here's the House Calendar for today. SB 1604 is on p. 9 of the attached. Will be a while before they get to it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are missing the point. In 1967, why not simply grant Disney (the company) the powers directly.

The State of Florida was extremely excited to have Disney coming to the state and wanted to grant Disney government powers. However, because they could not legally grant these powers directly to Disney (the company) due to the private nondelegation doctrine, the state had to first create a local government for Disney. The State of Florida could then grant RCID government powers.
Without the municipal government they couldn’t finance with municipal bonds. It was never about the government having control. Disney always had control.

mikejs78

Premium Member
You are missing the point. In 1967, why not simply grant Disney (the company) the powers directly.

The State of Florida was extremely excited to have Disney coming to the state and wanted to grant Disney government powers. However, because they could not legally grant these powers directly to Disney (the company) due to the private nondelegation doctrine, the state had to first create a local government for Disney. The State of Florida could then grant RCID government powers.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. The development agreement doesn't give Disney powers. It just formalizes the comprehensive plan, which basically means it sets zoning for a certain period. The comprehensive plan was ratified by the board and approved by the state. It has provisions for amendment and modifications, and a regular review period as defined by law.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On third reading today for final passage in the House is SB 1604 which contains language voiding the Disney-RCID development agreement. Not on the calendar but could be taken up any time for final passage is HB 1305 which the Senate amended and passed 26-14 yesterday to include monorail inspections.

Here's the House Calendar for today. SB 1604 is on p. 9 of the attached. Will be a while before they get to it.
They should close that circus just like ringling brothers

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
That’s ultimately why the state has little to no leverage

Exactly. Florida can huff and puff, but Disney can afford to wait.

Or are we pretending that “we have the money…so how about we do it our way?”
Isn’t a daily established legal doctrine in the US?

Yes, the precedent set by Golden v. Rule: "He who has the money sets the rules"

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are right, my Bruce Willis ex isn’t a good one, I was trying to say free speech is complex and can have consequences. I opined about the wording being “flimsy” due to FL case law referencing singling out individual entities for retaliation, when the bill dissolves other districts beside Disney. The complaint more relies on the public statements you reference. Although we all know what the fight it’s really about, I was just questioning from a legal perspective.
Honestly, I think the state’s case is very flimsy if the judges actually follow the law as it is currently written and has been interpreted. Pretty much a slam dunk for Disney. The Governor is pushing this in the hope to have a court rule he can in fact retaliate against a woke company. If he wanted to punish Disney and not get called out he could have done it quietly without screaming his intent to anyone who will listen. So either (1) he’s the dumbest person alive (2) he doesn’t care about the outcome, just wants the publicity for political purposes or (3) he wants to blatantly chill a corporation’s free speech and then have a court rule it’s ok, maybe even the Supreme Court.

Many people here believe either 1 or 2 or a combination of both, but I’m starting to think #3 is his real motive. Look at his history of removing elected officials from office and removing local authority and local government powers. He’s generally trying to consolidate power for himself. If the courts rule that this action was not a first amendment violation after the piles and piles of evidence on his intent then that gives him the green light to silence anyone who speaks out against him. He’s also pushing legislation to curb the media from writing things critical of him. A win in this court case would embolden him on that goal. Listen to his speech. He claimed this week that whatever he does is the will of the people because they elected him. That’s so far from how it’s supposed to work. The Governor works for the people, all the people, and answers to us not the other way around. He exists to serve us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom