News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

RamblinWreck

One advantage of suing a politician I guess is that he’s almost guaranteed to keep running his mouth about it publicly.

I wonder though about his continued repetition of the idea that Disney is just being made to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Obviously, that isn’t remotely true. But as a non-lawyer who has been interested in some of the analysis on this, is it possible that a judge could come to the conclusion that there is legitimacy in making Disney play by the same rules, and order some kind of change to what FL did without fully reconstituting RCID as it was?

Some kind of more reasonable middle ground where instead of the district being 100% controlled by Disney or 100% controlled by one man (DeSantis) that the board be comprised in some other way?

fgmnt

Even so, Disneys pays nearly 88% of RCIDs taxes, so their taxes paid for those garages. The technicalities come down to the fact that really municipal bonds paid for those garages and a private company can’t take out municipal bonds, but I digress. As I feel the benefits to FL, Orange & Osceola counties far outweigh any of this partisan nonsense about Disneys tax bill.
I think it was brought up a couple times in the previous 800 pages that the legislature looked into whether or not they were getting screwed over with the RCID structure 25 or so years ago and found out it was probably still the best deal available. I wish there were some things Disney should be more forcefully compelled to develop (ie every capital expansion that promises x number of workers, Disney should be required to match some % of x with LIHTC units in Orange and Osceola) but the state business case for RCID has always been sound.

MagicHappens1971

I think it was brought up a couple times in the previous 800 pages that the legislature looked into whether or not they were getting screwed over with the RCID structure 25 or so years ago and found out it was probably still the best deal available. I wish there were some things Disney should be more forcefully compelled to develop (ie every capital expansion that promises x number of workers, Disney should be required to match some % of x with LIHTC units in Orange and Osceola) but the state business case for RCID has always been sound.
I’ve done extensive research on RCID and have posted findings in the 100s of pages of this thread, in 2004 the Government accountability office drafted a report outlining the benefits of RCID, how it works, and how it serves the original purpose written in the founding act back in the 60s. I’m the late 60s the legislature challenged RCIDs existence and the FL Supreme Court ruled in favor of RCID/Disney.

While I also hope for more affordable housing in Orlando, I don’t think a private company is responsible for providing it, nor should they be forced to. Even without being compelled Disney is actively working on affordable housing anyway.

jinx8402

A response.

What a load of 💩. Living by the same rules as everyone else would be dissolving the district, but they realized that would be the worst possible scenario for the state/counties. They now live under rules that are probably more unfair then the "benefit" they received previously, which is a hostile board that is not motivated to work with their constituents since there are no repercussions (elections of landowners in the district). Every damn thing this man says about the situation is a lie for headlines for those who don't care enough to know the truth.

Dranth

What a load of 💩. Living by the same rules as everyone else would be dissolving the district, but they realized that would be the worst possible scenario for the state/counties. They now live under rules that are probably more unfair then the "benefit" they received previously, which is a hostile board that is not motivated to work with their constituents since there are no repercussions (elections of landowners in the district). Every damn thing this man says about the situation is a lie for headlines for those who don't care enough to know the truth.
More specifically, it would be removing EVERY special district in the state and no longer giving any tax incentives to attract any business. After all, they want to be fair. Weird that they don't do that. It's almost like they are completely and totally full of it and just want to express faux, ginned up outrage to appeal to a small isolated group that no longer wants to engage with reality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it’s gonna be hard for any judge to rule against Disney. Citizens United is a landmark precedent that covers the 1A argument, the Constitution covers the other arguments, and Disney even cited the FL Supreme Court decision supporting RCID & its public purpose.

Either way this is all very unfortunate for the governor as this is all working against his presidential bid. Stepping into the ring with one of the worlds largest and most beloved entertainment powerhouses while you are mounting a presidential campaign is a poor choice.
I’ve said since this started…that citizens United is the hammer for Disney on this…

They said companies have a “voice”…the fact it was to buy pols is irrelevant.

They have to rule that Disney is awarded the rights of the first…and can’t be persecuted for it or they bring CU back into Question.
They won’t cross that line.

Thanks, Tony!
1682606803124.jpeg

Fido Chuckwagon

I wondering about this too.

They can’t actually have a court order “reinstate” a legislative act that was dissolved…so it’s a bigger mess than we are even giving it credit for…

I suppose it can be declared unconstitutional? But that leaves future shenanigans open

This is why you never “pull on the string”
If the court strikes the new bill which dissolved the district then it reverts back to the existing rules governing the district, since the bill that struck those laws would itself be struck. The board will likely have to be reconstituted following whatever procedures are in the laws governing RCID since every position is now “vacant,” but other than that it wouldn’t be terribly difficult for things to go back to the status quo.

Fido Chuckwagon

This is a straight up state law battle, not a Federal issue.
This is incorrect, since the First Amendment to the US constitution has been “selectively incorporated” to apply to the states, and what Florida did here is a clear 1st Amendment violation. A state cannot pass a law that violates the portions of the BIll of Rights that have been applied to the states, and then claim “this is a state law battle.”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is incorrect, since the First Amendment to the US constitution has been “selectively incorporated” to apply to the states, and what Florida did here is a clear 1st Amendment violation. A state cannot pass a law that violates the portions of the BIll of Rights that have been applied to the states, and then claim “this is a state law battle.”
Indeed.

You can end run a court ruling case law that was decided in these last 200 years…as we’ve seen recently to disastrous political repercussions…

But you can’t touch the 1700s parchment.

This is remarkable stupid for a state to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

GBAB1973

Bob seems to be a DeSantis fan who is making arguments that either puts the best spin on what DeSantis has done and make legal arguments that would benefit he and the legislature. I've seen other DeSantis supporters and backers claim on twitter that this should be in state court, not federal court. Why? Because they think state courts will be way more favorable to them than federal court.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob seems to be a DeSantis fan who is making arguments that either puts the best spin on what DeSantis has done and make legal arguments that would benefit he and the legislature. I've seen other DeSantis supporters and backers claim on twitter that this should be in state court, not federal court. Why? Because they think state courts will be way more favorable to them than federal court.
The word you’re looking for is “misguided”…according to the O/E

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom