News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

There was nothing on the ballot about Disney during either of the elections he won. Don't make the mistake of assuming people only vote for a candidate if they agree with 100% of the things they say and do (or what they think they'll say and do in the future). The phrase "the lesser of 2 evils" is a saying for a reason. Also you could rephrasewhat you said to say, "54% of the people oppose free speech," based on your logic but I'd bet that isn't the case - and even if it was it wouldn't matter because the First Amendment exists to prevent such abuse of power.
The minimum wage amendment passed during the same election.

csmat99

If I provide the banana peels for Mr. fusion, can I get a ride into the future? It sounds like you made the trip already.

It also sounds like your Delorean was broken prior to the 2016 election.

;)
I never said trump wouldn't win. As much as I don't like trump he does understand how media works and how to manipulate them. Desantis does not.

alphac2005

We don’t want a full on political thing here…

But I think you might be reading the politics of Florida wrong. Desantis isn’t “imposing his will” on the legislature and voters…they are creating him by this new grievance culture thing.

Not just Florida. We have a pretty obvious national example

No misread and you aren't wrong with your thought process, however, I never mentioned the voters. I'm speaking of the legislature. I've worked with far too many of them and at the core, power is what runs things, and they will take that back in time. Without going much farther, that national example and local examples in places that aren't radically polarized lead to poisonous electoral results. Don't think for a moment that there aren't pols on DeSantis' side in high places that aren't very worried about long-term damage that they have here even though things may look rosy on the outside. We have governance that is now a mismatch for the overall moderateness of the typical Florida voter. That's all, just trying to add some perspective from someone who is a seasoned and paid political operative, not just a keyboard warrior. Lol.

mikejs78

Premium Member
But, how is it an abuse of power? That agreement was made in 1967 because Walt wanted to build an actual city, which the company never did after his death. They’ve been benefiting ever since for no good reason. Sea World, Universal, etc., don’t have that luxury. So it’s an abuse of power to bring Disney down to everyone else’s standards??

It's an abuse of power to specifically single out and punish based on political speech. It's an abuse of power to try to use government power to influence a company's content decisions. It's an abuse of power to put an unelected board in charge of taxation in violation of the FL constitution. It's an abuse of power to attempt to void a legally binding contract. It's an abuse of power to single out one corporation for "punishment" for doing nothing illegal or anything more than exercising their constitutional right to speak out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney is the largest taxpayer in Florida. Also the biggest tourism generator. We live in the area & provide engineering services for new construction at WDW & can say absolutely they work at a higher standard than 99% of other industries here. Disney is a great neighbor & community partner, they support schools, the arts, environment. Everything they build exceeds state codes & is reviewed internally at least 3 times. They rarely make mistakes. This takes extra manpower/hours, but they pay their way. They're not taking from local taxpayers, quite the contrary. They made Central Florida what it is, even if their visitors are terrible drivers.
This fight stems from us having a bitter vindictive gov who has delusions he's king, & Disney dared disagree very publically w his petty bitter culture attacks, many based on falsehoods. Good for Disney. desantis has shown himself to be more than willing to hurt whoever he wants. This is not a good leadership quality. He won an easy race after barely winning his 1st run, but ppl are disgusted that he's let utilities & insurance ruin ppls lives &:he's coming for DocSec & Medicare. He's got skeletons, too, & will likely face some problems before '24.
Leave Disney alone ron. They're good for us.
BTW, The Villages has the same arrangement w the state as Disney, will he come for them next?
Don’t forget that Disney’s $18/hr is 63% above the required FL minimum wage. Lots of other businesses in the area will also have to raise wages to compete which benefits many citizens working in those types of jobs.

orky8

With the State's most valuable corporation. It's actually insane.

Disney is very much a CA company and it's not like Disney can just up and leave Florida. Most companies could relocate. Disney can pull back on Lake Nona, but they are kinda stuck - Disney World is not going somewhere else. And as we all know too well, it's not like they've been investing heavily in Florida the past 10 years anyway, unless you're talking about time shares.

csmat99

Maybe Disney should stay out of politics? It probably shouldn’t amaze me how ignorant so many of you are here.

The bottom line doesn’t lie and Disney is butt hurt right now. Universal can give them a pep talk.

Happy Easter ✌🏼 🐰!
Disney bottom line has nothing to do with WDW. WDW is actually cash cow. the issue was Disney +, covid shutting down movie income and overall inflation and economy in general. And all corporations are involved in politics since corporations started. They donate to politicians, they hire lobbyist for their causes and in this case they had every right to come out against a law that effects their employees in that state.

MotherSquid

I disagree. I dont think Disney is "butt hurt" today at all.

People on YouTube keep saying that Disney is in a "panic" right now. No...they are not. They are not worried, not scared, not concerned at all. Disney will remodel itself and adjust it's structure but it will 100% continue it's march forward. It's message will not be changed and it will not waiver on its goals. Disney does not "really" fear it's box office sales either. It's all about getting the message out and Disney calculates the acceptance and "cost" of their message delivery PERFRCTLY. Box office success and failure are calculated into their model....well in advance.

Disney is not affraid. They are literally fearless.
Disney 1st qtr 2023 earnings $23.1Bil, up $8Bil from 2020. They're laying off 7k ppl, 3% of staff but most big companies are laying off more. Facebook, YankeeCandle layoffs 15%. The DumpDisney movement online has 30k signers, 0.0004% of US. The DW haters are largely RW fringe extremists that suddenly see sex in movies they've enjoyed for years because desantis told them it's there. It's the Talibangecals getting their minority fearful & angry, to keep them popping off online. They won't beat Disney.
FTR, I'm 30 mins from Disney & haven't been there in 20 years. I'm not a Disneyphile, but know what's fair, like the deal Florida made to get them here, & have Disney stock that's doing very well long run. The Mouse will prevail & desantis will show himself as a bitter bully. His skin is VERY thin & Disney isn't afraid of his blustering.

Riviera Rita

Without Disney coming to Central Florida the region would still have cows and oranges as their major economic resource. I may be wrong, but taking the kids to see cattle grazing and oranges growing isn't at the top of people's vacation bucket lists.
Those who agreed to Disney creating the RCID had more sense in their big toes than Ronnie can ever hope to have, they knew the positive economic impact on the entire region allowing Disney to have autonomy over a small improvement district would have.

Riviera Rita

Disney bottom line has nothing to do with WDW. WDW is actually cash cow. the issue was Disney +, covid shutting down movie income and overall inflation and economy in general. And all corporations are involved in politics since corporations started. They donate to politicians, they hire lobbyist for their causes and in this case they had every right to come out against a law that effects their employees in that state.
Disney donated to GOP candidates and now it's unlikely they will again.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Maybe Disney should stay out of politics? It probably shouldn’t amaze me how ignorant so many of you are here.

That's a very unamerican sentiment...
Can all the people that say: "DeSantis this" or "DeSantis that".....just replace that name with "59.4% of Florida voters"

Love him or hate him....both are fine. He is literally a represntative of almost 60% of the voting citizens of Florida. He is doing what his voters put him in office to do.

Its NOT "Disney vs DeSantis"....it's really "Disney vs 60% of Florida voters"

Getting 60% of the vote doesn't entitle someone to ignore the FL and US constitutions.

You’re telling me that Iger doesn’t use Walt Disney’s name to his advantage, which, really…can be an abuse of power?

Nope. It's not. Iger abusing power would be if he did something wrong or illegal regarding people who worked for him. Government abuse of power is misusing or overstepping the powers of government, both of which happened here.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Don’t forget that Disney’s $18/hr is 63% above the required FL minimum wage. Lots of other businesses in the area will also have to raise wages to compete which benefits many citizens working in those types of jobs.

Which won't reach $15/hour until September 2026. It currently stands at $11/hour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom