News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

drnilescrane

That Disney is free of state oversight and doesn’t have to follow codes has been one of the lies told to justify action against the District. By saying the plans to fix that “problem” are reasonable you are giving validity to the lie. The regulations are already aligned, exceeded or the same.

So some entities should be given special treatment? What are the guidelines for this special treatment?
Ok, I'll take that at face value that others are saying that.

I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is, Reedy Creek serves a decent purpose that is good for the state, and good for Disney. But the scenario that RCID was created for no longer exists, and tidying things up isn't a bad thing. I'm arguing for the opposite of special treatment.

The problem is this has become wrapped up in the separate issue of the governor's retribution. So of course since it's now all political, we can't possibly have a conversation about the merits of special district reform.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

Ok, I'll take that at face value that others are saying that.

I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is, Reedy Creek serves a decent purpose that is good for the state, and good for Disney. But the scenario that RCID was created for no longer exists, and tidying things up isn't a bad thing. I'm arguing for the opposite of special treatment.

The problem is this has become wrapped up in the separate issue of the governor's retribution. So of course since it's now all political, we can't possibly have a conversation about the merits of special district reform.

The District was created to promote tourism. That purpose still exists. You haven’t made any independent case for these reforms beyond vague issues that you don’t really define. These matters have been reviewed, the powers of the District are regulated. Why does the District using the Florida Fire Prevention Code need to be reviewed?

Brian

I don't think it would be unreasonable, given the present circumstances, to set this up where the state gets three appointees to the board and the RCID landowners elect three.

Disney, on the other hand, would certainly like to maintain its special district powers and privileges, and Orange and Osceola counties sure as heck don't want the RCID debt. A compromise is needed, and I think splitting the board would be a good start. DeSantis can claim he is ensuring "proper oversight" of the district, and Disney could still have significant influence on its operation.

lazyboy97o

Does having internet services provided by Comcast qualify as having a contractual relationship with a company that owns a theme park? How many people in the state actually meet these board requirements? We’re talking hundreds of thousands of people involved in contractual relationships with just Disney and Comcast, not to mention smaller entities like SeaWorld and Merlin Entertainments.

lazyboy97o

I don't think it would be unreasonable, given the present circumstances, to set this up where the state gets three appointees to the board and the RCID landowners elect three. DeSantis can't just back down from this and restore RCID back to the way it was; his future political ambitions aside, doing so would imply he was wrong to do it in the first place, and admitting you were wrong is not something modern day politicians are capable of doing. When's the last time you heard a politician say "in hindsight, that wasn't the best idea?"

Disney, on the other hand, would certainly like to maintain its special district powers and privileges, and Orange and Osceola counties sure as heck don't want the RCID debt. A compromise is needed, and I think splitting the board would be a good start. DeSantis can claim he is ensuring "proper oversight" of the district, and Disney could still have significant influence on its operation.
What is the state conceding in these mutual concessions you propose?

Brian

What is the state conceding in these mutual concessions you propose?
Complete control of the board.

The fact remains that the district as we know it today will be dissolved come June. Disney has to engage with the state, unless the courts intervene, if they wish to have a similar arrangement put back into place.

lazyboy97o

Complete control of the board.

The fact remains that the district as we know it today will be dissolved come June. Disney has to engage with the state, unless the courts intervene, if they wish to have a similar arrangement put back into place.
If we ever meet, you can give my $50 and I won’t punch you in the face and take your whole wallet. What a great compromise we’ve come to!

You’re not describing a concession. You’re still giving the state what it wants, the ability to punish Disney when they engage in undesirable but perfectly legal activity.

Vegas Disney Fan

As a tv drama this would be fascinating, as something real that has huge implications on the legality of governments punishing dissenting speech it’s terrifying though.

I never thought it would get to this point, I’d have bet a million dollars they’d resolve this behind closed doors with no fanfare and with very little actually changing, the fact it’s still going is mind boggling.

Brian

You’re not describing a concession. You’re still giving the state what it wants, the ability to punish Disney when they engage in undesirable but perfectly legal activity.
Then they need to file a lawsuit and try to get the original RCID back, because right now, it's being dissolved in June, and the plan for its replacement is a completely state-appointed board.

Only the state can create a replacement special district. If Disney wants one (they do), they'll need to work with the state, or, as previously suggested, file a lawsuit on the various grounds that have been discussed ad nauseam in this thread. There is no third option, and Disney (and other parties on its "side") has yet to file a lawsuit.

A 3/3 split would ensure gridlock, and force the state appointees to bargain in good faith with the landowner appointees, and vice versa. Nothing can happen, if the by-laws are setup correctly, without gaining the support of at least one member of "the other side." It's a better scenario, in my opinion, than a completely state-appointed board where the landowners have near-zero influence on the administration of a special district which controls their land.

Again, if Disney wants a special district come June, there is no third option. It's either work with the state to secure more favorable terms, or file a lawsuit and hope they win.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
How does this work for the residents of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista along with all the landowners in the district? How does the state just take control of the board without any agreement from all these parties?

How is Disney not fighting this?

lazyboy97o

Then they need to file a lawsuit and try to get the original RCID back, because right now, it's being dissolved in June, and the plan for its replacement is a completely state-appointed board.

Only the state can create a replacement special district. If Disney wants one (they do), they'll need to work with the state, or, as previously suggested, file a lawsuit on the various grounds that have been discussed ad nauseam in this thread. There is no third option, and Disney (and other parties on its "side") has yet to file a lawsuit.

A 3/3 split would ensure gridlock, and force the state appointees to bargain in good faith with the landowner appointees, and vice versa. Nothing can happen, if the by-laws are setup correctly, without gaining the support of at least one member of "the other side." It's a better scenario, in my opinion, than a completely state-appointed board where the landowners have near-zero influence on the administration of a special district which controls their land.
You can’t file a lawsuit over proposed legislation.

A 3-3 split does not require bargaining. The point of the state appointees is not to provide good faith oversight. They are there to inflict harm and stalling work is a harm. This isn’t actually about the issues of land use. The reasons for why a se wage treatment plant upgrade is a good idea are absolutely meaningless if the issue holding up the project is the content of the latest movie release.

lazyboy97o

How does this work for the residents of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista along with all the landowners in the district? How does the state just take control of the board without any agreement from all these parties?

How is Disney not fighting this?
This cannot yet be fought. There’s definitely a wisdom in not pointing out legal flaws now while they can be addressed.

drnilescrane

My personal opinion - if this goes to the courts, which it should if it passes as currently written - then the headline we'll see is "Reedy Creek residents file lawsuit".

Disney themselves will try hard not to be the litigant.

Brian

You can’t file a lawsuit over proposed legislation.
You can, however, file a lawsuit over enacted legislation (that being the legislation which dissolves RCID in June).
The point of the state appointees is not to provide good faith oversight. They are there to inflict harm and stalling work is a harm. This isn’t actually about the issues of land use. The reasons for why a sewage treatment plant upgrade is a good idea are absolutely meaningless if the issue holding up the project is the content of the latest movie release.
I'm inclined to agree with you. However, if only the state can create a special district, and if Disney wishes to have a special district, they have to engage with the state, or file a lawsuit to attempt to overturn the legislation which dissolves RCID in June.

SplashJacket

As a tv drama this would be fascinating, as something real that has huge implications on the legality of governments punishing dissenting speech it’s terrifying though.

I never thought it would get to this point, I’d have bet a million dollars they’d resolve this behind closed doors with no fanfare and with very little actually changing, the fact it’s still going is mind boggling.
It’s often easy to assume people are more competent than they seem. It’s easy to assume someone’s theatric behavior is a ploy to gain notoriety and support, but oftentimes, when the curtain is pulled back, the emperor has no clothes and that perceived incompetence is highlighted in full force.

I fell for it in 2016, but I’ve learned that the higher-up you go in any institution, the poster-child perception fades to a system full of cracks and patches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom