News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They don't care. That money is all theoretical at this point and the people supporting this kind of politics prefer the win over the money.
1675713332568.jpeg

ppete1975

Funny part is any state would give Disney anything and everything it asked for to get them to build disney world there. And yet Florida has them and has profited for 50 years, and built an entertainment empire which has built alot of florida. Now all of a sudden they want to rescind everything and say we want to do it our way.

I had always assumed this was a life time agreement florida had with Disney.

As far as Disney is concerned a normal company could pack up and move to another state that is willing to give them what they were PROMISED and signed to, but you really cant move Disney World. Im shocked legally, any of this is possible. And all because one little man got mad about Disneys public reaction to a bill. Which should be under free speech.

mikejs78

Premium Member
So actually that's my question - do other districts have boards that are appointed by the governor? Like, this special session is also reauthorizing the Eastpoint Water and Sewer District - what is their board situation? And I guess it's too soon to know how the Shingle Creek Transit Utility Community Development District (if that's even the same type of thing) for Brightline/I-Drive will be set up.

I would think that if RDIC is being singled out with rules/requirements that other districts are not, that's an easy win in court for Disney.

There are other districts with Governor appointed boards, but none with the power to levy taxes.

TheMaxRebo

So actually that's my question - do other districts have boards that are appointed by the governor? Like, this special session is also reauthorizing the Eastpoint Water and Sewer District - what is their board situation? And I guess it's too soon to know how the Shingle Creek Transit Utility Community Development District (if that's even the same type of thing) for Brightline/I-Drive will be set up.

I would think that if RDIC is being singled out with rules/requirements that other districts are not, that's an easy win in court for Disney.

I can't say there are no districts set with the governor appointing the board members but the standard format for a special district is how Reed Creek currently is - with the landowners appointing the members

So fully expect this to go to court as it basically takes away all of Disney's representation (and I seem to recall something from the history books about taxation without representation) which was entitled to them when this was formed (and when it was endorsed, reapproved, etc over the years)

ctrlaltdel

Part of me wonders if this bill was written to give Disney a number of grounds to sue on. So they get their win for having stopped woke and owned Disney, and are leaving it to the courts to undo their damage. This thing is that blatant.
Yeah, honestly could be some 4D chess they are doing. But that also assumes that any of their base is still paying attention and cares about this. It mostly seems like theme park fans and political junkies who are keeping up on this. That being said, you can have your mind warped by spending too much time online in political echo chambers, which is most politicians of all stripes these days.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It seems to me, and my first skim-thru that:

1. The district isn't really dissolved. It's "rethemed" ( ;) ) into a more modern district. In a model that probably already exists all over Florida as a supercharged Home Owners' Association. The language, I would guess, is a copy-paste from existing Special Districts. It's duties are basically the same as any district's board/council. The language is almost exclusively about the infrastructure.

2. With the district not really dissolved, then the bond issue is moot. The new district just takes up the role of responsibility of all current and any new bonds. Disney still pays county tax and still pays extra tax to the revised district. So, there is no issue of the counties being stuck with RFID's bond bills.

3. The really big difference from other districts is the governor with approval from the senate chooses the board. We'll see if that passes FL constitutional law.

4. The new board can use their powers to make life hell for Disney. (As any council or even state legislature could for their constituents). The language of the bill provides due process for input to anything the board does, the ability to lodge complaints, and the freedom for everyone to sue everyone else. I'm surprised there is no forced arbitration.

5. The board members have a lot on their plate and no compensation except a per diem. I don't know who would agree to being on the board.

6. The option to go to Federal Court over a 1st Amendment claim is still on the table.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Interesting... general obligation bonds they still put to the elected to approve...

3631 full faith and credit of the district is pledged. Except for
3632 refunding bonds
, no general obligation bonds shall be issued
3633 unless the issuance thereof is approved by the qualified
3634 electors of the district in accordance with the requirements for
3635 such election as prescribed by the State Constitution, such
3636 election to be called and held in the manner provided in the
3637 State Constitution and Florida Statutes for such elections.

ETA: and revenue bonds will NOT require an election unless backed by the district itself (vs just the revenue souce)

Vegas Disney Fan

Surprised they haven’t cancelled Lake Nona the minute the state got hostile.

Wasn’t the decision to move to Lake Nona partially a response to Disney fighting with CA over Covid policies?

Disney has somehow ended up in 2 of the most hostile states to do business in, at this point they may want to look at land in a new state (preferably purple) and move everything there that isn’t bolted to the ground.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It seems to me, and my first skim-thru that:

1. The district isn't really dissolved. It's "rethemed" ( ;) ) into a more modern district. In a model that probably already exists all over Florida as a supercharged Home Owners' Association. The language, I would guess, is a copy-paste from existing Special Districts. It's duties are basically the same as any district's board/council. The language is almost exclusively about the infrastructure.

2. With the district not really dissolved, then the bond issue is moot. The new district just takes up the role of responsibility of all current and any new bonds. Disney still pays county tax and still pays extra tax to the revised district. So, there is no issue of the counties being stuck with RFID's bond bills.

3. The really big difference from other districts is the governor with approval from the senate chooses the board. We'll see if that passes FL constitutional law.

4. The new board can use their powers to make life hell for Disney. (As any council or even state legislature could for their constituents). The language of the bill provides due process for input to anything the board does, the ability to lodge complaints, and the freedom for everyone to sue everyone else. I'm surprised there is no forced arbitration.

5. The board members have a lot on their plate and no compensation except a per diem. I don't know who would agree to being on the board.

6. The option to go to Federal Court over a 2nd Amendment claim is still on the table.
The powers to tax go well beyond any other special district as well as what is required by the FL constitution.

Surferboy567

Splash Mountain reopening winter 2024
I thought about this as well.

If this went though as is could they just stop this because they felt like it? I’m not arguing about Splash or any ride in particular DISNEY should have that power to do what they want with their projects not the state.

flynnibus

Premium Member
well lookie here... a pledge by the state to back old bonds...

4504 Section 57. Pledge by State of Florida to bondholders of
4505 district and to Federal Government.—
4506 (1) For all bonds and other obligations issued before the
4507 effective date of this act, the State of Florida pledges to the
4508 holders of any bonds issued under this act that it will not
4509 limit or alter the rights of the district to own, acquire,
4510 construct, reconstruct, improve, maintain, operate, or furnish
4511 the projects or to levy and collect the taxes, assessments,
4512 rentals, rates, fees, fares, and other charges provided for
4513 herein and to fulfill the terms of any agreement made with the
4514 holders of such bonds or other obligations, that it will not in
4515 any way impair the rights or remedies of the holders
, and that
4516 it will not modify in any way the exemption from taxation
4517 provided in this act, until all such bonds, together with
4518 interest thereon, and all costs and expenses in connection with
4519 any action or proceeding by or on behalf of such holders, are
4520 fully met and discharged. The State of Florida pledges to and
4521 agrees with the Federal Government that in the event the Federal
4522 Government or any agency or authority thereof shall construct or
4523 contribute any funds, materials, or property for the
4524 construction, acquisition, extension, improvement, enlargement,
[...]

I read this as a pledge that they won't screw with the powers granted to the new district that would impair their ability to do the refunding bonds.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can you explain this in more general terms? Is this basically saying the board of supervisors (I assume the state board) can change projects based on their discretion. Isn’t that illegal to have the property owner change something because a state run board said so?

EDIT: Can they be forced to tear down Dumbo (for example) because the board said so?

Projects in this context are District projects - not private property.

The relevance of that section is it's kind of a catch-all that says the District can undertake whatever projects it wants to fit the purpose of the district (instead of having fixed scope like a gov agency should have)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom