News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Assuming Disney approves the new district. I'm pretty sure I've seen it cited here multiple times that the district must be approved by the people in that district. What happens if Disney and the people they let live there just go "Nope, we don't approve a district with the Governor's appointed people."
Going off memory here, but it is community development districts that require unanimous approval. Without checking, the state run districts may be able to happen without that level of approval. I’m doubtful even something like the North Broward Health District would have ever achieved that high bar.

A fully governor approved board may well be the loophole, especially if it is framed as taking on issues of state responsibility like the state’s pledge to bond holders.

Ayla

Perhaps you missed where I typed "politically, mind you".

"“Florida’s HB 1557, also known as the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill, should never have passed and should never have been signed into law. Our goal as a company is for this law to be repealed by the legislature or struck down in the courts, and we remain committed to supporting the national and state organizations working to achieve that. We are dedicated to standing up for the rights and safety of LGBTQ+ members of the Disney family, as well as the LGBTQ+ community in Florida and across the country.”

That is threatening direct action against the State of Florida. It is their "goal" to see that the law is repealed and struck down? WTH?
Obviously, you are unfamiliar with lobbyists. LOL

GoofGoof

Premium Member
BC made his statement as a threat. Regardless of how anyone views BI, BI is more tactful in his presentation and understands diplospeak.
What did he threaten to do to the state? He said they oppose the bill and would work to have it overturned? In conjunction Disney also announced they would end political contributions in FL. Last I checked in America opposing a piece of legislation was not considered a threat against the state. If he said they would work to have the state constitution revoked and wanted to appoint Mickey Mouse as King of Florida that would be a threat against the state. Threatening to pull political contributions is not a threat against the state that’s a threat against politicians. You donate to their campaigns if you support what they are doing and stop if you don’t. Basic concepts.

EPCOT-O.G.

It’s not wrong, it’s domestic.
“I only meant domestic box office that was collected before the stroke of midnight, Dec 31.”

Overseas money doesn’t count? What about the fact the Lightyear budget was 3x The Bad Guys?

Disney’s animated performance compared to Universal is abysmal. How do you think the Elemental / Wish is going to do compared to The Super Mario Bros movie and Trolls 3?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
“I only meant domestic box office that was collected before the stroke of midnight, Dec 31.”

Overseas money doesn’t count? What about the fact the Lightyear budget was 3x The Bad Guys?

Disney’s animated performance compared to Universal is abysmal. How do you think the Elemental / Wish is going to do compared to The Super Mario Bros movie and Trolls 3?

If we want to talk worldwide, how did Avatar do Internationally? If Disney was suffering so badly how did the film make billions worldwide? You can cherry pick whatever stats you want to make your case but there’s simply not enough real evidence to show Disney is greatly suffering from this incident.….but it makes a good story :)

NotCalledBob

BC made his statement as a threat. Regardless of how anyone views BI, BI is more tactful in his presentation and understands diplospeak.

Arthur Bochner was Chapek's speech writer, he was dispatched by Iger shortly after Kareem Daniel.

I am not sure he was threatening. It is just that neither Chapek, nor his team, had a way with words.

EPCOT-O.G.

If we want to talk worldwide, how did Avatar do Internationally? If Disney was suffering so badly how did the film make billions worldwide? You can cherry pick whatever stats you want to make your case but there’s simply not enough real evidence to show Disney is greatly suffering from this incident.….but it makes a good story :)
Is Avatar a Disney animated film? I get you have indefensible positions and bad facts but have a little more self respect as you try to move the goalposts

Dranth

Is Avatar a Disney animated film? I get you have indefensible positions and bad facts but have a little more self respect as you try to move the goalposts
Technically it is. It had about as much live action as Wall-E but I know what you mean, it wasn't a kids animated movie.

yoda_5729

There are a lot of reasons for box-office, one of the more important being whether a movie is actually good or not. Whether a character happens to be part of the LGBTQ community likely isn't as big a deal as some are making it. Beauty and the Beast live action grosses 1.2 billion and had a gay character portrayed by Josh Gad. Dr Strange and the multiverse of madness also had America Chavez, whom is also a member of the LGBTQ community and it grossed sizably more then the first Dr Strange movie. Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness nearly doubled it's domestic take in comparison to it's first movie.

Lightyear's biggest controversy wasn't even the LGBTQ inclusion, but the fact Tim Allen wasn't voicing the character. Some saw that as political as Tim Allen is outspoken, but those failed to realize he was already announced as reprising his role for Santa Claus. They wanted to make a difference between the toy and the human character. That may have been a bad idea. Based on it's performance Tim Allen may be relieved he wasn't in it now. Strange World was a very badly advertised movie, as most of the general public had never even heard of it, and didn't know what it was about, at all. Quality matters, and though those two movies have their fans, they are not as popular as the 3 Universal movies, though factoring it all down to representation I think is a bit overplayed.

Also, many parents now just simply wait for the movie to come out on Disney+, since they are paying for it. Soul, Encanto, and Turning Red were also released direct to streaming due to the pandemic. Encanto had the #1 song in the country on the billboard charts, a feat not even Lion King or Frozen accomplished. The two biggest movies recently were Top Gun and Avatar, two movies specifically designed to be shown on the big screen as an event type movie. Universal's films did much better on the box-office then Disney's, though Disney+, as far as I can tell (I can't find exact number, so forgive me if I am wrong) dwarfs Peacocks subscription numbers. Those three animated movies were released in China, whereas Lightyear wasn't. In the end though, people didn't enjoy Lightyear all that much. Sometimes it just comes down to a good movie versus one that isn't. That's about quality and not any political issues. I'm not saying any poster on here is wrong for their viewsd, but simply showing there are other reasons that play into these sorts of things.

There are lots of reasons for box-office.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why does the film have to animated? So the plan is to boycott just animated films to punish Disney for being ”woke” but then shelling out $20 for blue aliens. So should we just boycott Fantasyland too but it’s ok to visit Star Wars Land?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
January 2027. The governor is elected every four years with a limit of two consecutive terms.

Technically late 2024/early 2025 if DeSantis runs for and wins the presidency.

And then Disney has bigger issues: A POTUS who is against them and isn't afraid to use the resources at his disposal to make their existence a living hell.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

Perhaps you missed where I typed "politically, mind you".

"“Florida’s HB 1557, also known as the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill, should never have passed and should never have been signed into law. Our goal as a company is for this law to be repealed by the legislature or struck down in the courts, and we remain committed to supporting the national and state organizations working to achieve that. We are dedicated to standing up for the rights and safety of LGBTQ+ members of the Disney family, as well as the LGBTQ+ community in Florida and across the country.”

That is threatening direct action against the State of Florida. It is their "goal" to see that the law is repealed and struck down? WTH?
How is that a threat? If one of the options presented was to get the legislature to repeal the law then it suggests working with/lobbying efforts. Hardly a threat. And supporting a challenge to the law isn't a threat, either. It's stating a belief that the law is unconstitutional in its current form and that a legal challenge would succeed. Even if you consider that a threat, it's within their Constutional rights to oppose the law and certainly doesn't justify the actions taken by the government to attempt to punish them for exercising their rights.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm not sure how the "Wait out Desantis" approach works. So, they accept the loss of their district, and then taxes increase like 25% in those two counties until a new governor comes in? I can't think they accept a district they have no say on in hopes they can dissolve it and put a new one in a few years later.
Waiting out DeSantis doesn’t mean doing nothing, those of us saying to wait out DeSantis are simply saying to fight this in the courts and behind closed doors, not publicly, if DeSantis can’t use it as campaign fodder it becomes a much easier win for Disney.

GimpYancIent

What did he threaten to do to the state? He said they oppose the bill and would work to have it overturned? In conjunction Disney also announced they would end political contributions in FL. Last I checked in America opposing a piece of legislation was not considered a threat against the state. If he said they would work to have the state constitution revoked and wanted to appoint Mickey Mouse as King of Florida that would be a threat against the state. Threatening to pull political contributions is not a threat against the state that’s a threat against politicians. You donate to their campaigns if you support what they are doing and stop if you don’t. Basic concepts.
You really don't get it. People need to learn from the great speakers instead of opening mouth and inserting foot. How something is presented is very often more important than what is presented.
1674057512933.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom