News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mmascari

The other thing is the dismissal is without prejudice. The judge said Disney can refile if they are actually harmed and have actual injury. Disney has been asked what actual damages, other then loss of control of the governmental board, they have, and they have come up with absolutely nothing.
The dismissal says Disney was harmed. It specifically says that loss of representation on the board is an a injury to Disney.

It dismissed despite the harm, not because there wasn't any harm.

WoundedDreamer

Wow, Disney got clobbered in the lawsuit. Who could have predicted this?

I do predict Disney's demise in the courts. They will get clobbered.
Disney was fighting an uphill battle with this case. One that revolved around limiting the state legislature's innate constitutional powers. There's a good chance this proceeds to the Supreme Court. But make no mistake, this is not looking good for Disney.

Disney should try to end all this litigation ASAP. Disney should just call it quits and come to the negotiating table. Admit they let their emotions get the better of them. This whole process has been characterized by too much emoting and not enough thinking. It seems like the longer this is going on the worse it's getting.

But they're doubling down.

On a separate but related note, the District presented reasonable arguments to void the development plans in their audit. I honestly didn't think the District would find anything in their audit. And in a way they didn't. There wasn't widespread intentional corruption as far as I could see. I never believed and still don't believe that Disney was intentionally corrupt. But what the District did find were enormous irregularities and just basic incompetence. And unintentionally it became corruption. Disney needs to avoid further fallout and end this before it gets out of hand.

Iger could have stopped this. But he's too stubborn.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disney was fighting an uphill battle with this case. One that revolved around limiting the state legislature's innate constitutional powers.

There are many limits on state legislator's constitutional powers. In fact, there are many examples, cited by Disney and agreed with by the judge, where state legislative motives are looked at - for example, in cases involving race discrimination. The judge just applied Hubbard (which is a very different case) and determined that free speech is not a reason to question legislative intent. It's not a foregone conclusion that the appeals court will agree wtih him.

Disney should try to end all this litigation ASAP. Disney should just call it quits and come to the negotiating table. Admit they let their emotions get the better of them. This whole process has been characterized by too much emoting and not enough thinking. It seems like the longer this is going on the worse it's getting.

No, they shouldn't. There are numerous other issues at stake in this and the state case - including the abridgment of contracts. And they tried to sit at the negotiating table - DeSantis refused to even talk to them. He has no interest in negotiating.

On a separate but related note, the District presented reasonable arguments to void the development plans in their audit.

There is no reasonable argument to dissolve a contract whole cloth.

what the District did find were enormous irregularities and just basic incompetence

Not backed up by evidence, and with a political spin. Many of the things they pointed to were basd on "conversations" which aren't credited. It's a one-sided argument without context and without the opportunity for cross-examination. It's highly suspect and incocnsistencies in the report have already been poitned out.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Drdcm

I know nothing about this, but my BIL is an attorney in a state AG office first amendment and human rights division. He told me it would be very very difficult for Disney to win this case for the exact reasons the judge dismissed it.

He just said that first amendment law isn’t as straightforward as most people think because the current precedents are convoluted and contradictory. Unfortunately my knowledge is limited so can’t really provide any other explanation. Just figured I’d pipe up because he knows more about this stuff than most people.

FWIW, my BIL is very liberal.

Chi84

Premium Member

WoundedDreamer

There are many limits on state legislator's constitutional powers. In fact, there are many examples, cited by Disney and agreed with by the judge, where state legislative motives are looked at - for example, in cases involving race discrimination. The judge just applied Hubbard (which is a very different case) and determined that free speech is not a reason to question legislative intent. It's not a foregone conclusion that the appeals court will agree wtih him.

No, they shouldn't. There are numerous other issues at stake in this and the state case - including the abridgment of contracts. And they tried to sit at the negotiating table - DeSantis refused to even talk to them. He has no interest in negotiating.

Not backed up by evidence, and with a political spin. Many of the things they pointed to were basd on "conversations" which aren't credited. It's a one-sided argument without context and without the opportunity for cross-examination. It's highly suspect and incocnsistencies in the report have already been poitned out.
Iger needs to get his backside on his private jet and fly to Tallahassee with his legal team and beg to stop this. If DeSantis still refused to work after Iger physically coming to bring an olive branch, I'd feel differently. But last I heard Iger sent the DeSantis camp a message using one of his underlings about potentially having a meet. Nothing happened. He needs to camp out at the statehouse until he's seen. Would it be humiliating? Yeah. But he needs to end this for the good of the Walt Disney Company. This should be one of his top priorities.

He needs to play ball and take the humiliation. He famously suffered a grueling and humiliating ordeal with the Chinese Government (reported by @WDW1974). His patience with that ordeal saw the successful launch of Shanghai Disney. We need that Iger back. What happened to Iger the diplomat who could handle difficult relationships with people like Steve Jobs and President Xi? Now Iger can't even handle the Florida governor. This is pathetic.

Or maybe the Disney board should get a CEO who knows how to fix this. Floridians are not evil. They have tremendous amount of goodwill towards Disney. They will forgive and forget if given the chance. But that process can only stop by putting this process behind them. Moreover, shareholders deserve to have solid and level governance. Playing fast and loose with one of the company's most prized assets is insane.

Disstevefan1

For over 50 years and including the folks running the state now, KNEW that RCID was not run by the book and was controlled by TWDC.

All previous leadership for the past over 50 years, LET IT BE, because they all knew, although irregular, and that the state could legally pull the plug on RCID at any time, knew it was the best for the state to let it be.

You know who did this to (try) to help himself politically, knowing he could legally do it all along. Obviously if he was smart, he would have let it be like all the past administrations.

In my opinion, TWDC should have SHUT UP and quietly used their POWER behind the scenes to get the law they disagreed with changed. I know they have the power. They didn’t, they took the, “talk is cheap” route.

Drdcm

For over 50 years and including the folks running the state now, KNEW that RCID was not run by the book and was controlled by TWDC.

All previous leadership for the past over 50 years, LET IT BE, because they all knew, although irregular, and that the state could legally pull the plug on RCID at any time, knew it was the best for the state to let it be.

You know who did this to (try) to help himself politically, knowing he could legally do it all along. Obviously if he was smart, he would have let it be like all the past administrations.

In my opinion, TWDC should have SHUT UP and quietly used their POWER behind the scenes to get the law they disagreed with changed. I know they have the power. They didn’t, they took the, “talk is cheap” route.
What’s crazy about this whole thing is that I doubt Disney would have said anything at all if they didn’t get caught donating to supporters of the bill. They were put on the defensive and called out publicly by their own employees. It was a lose lose no matter which way they went.

lazyboy97o

Iger needs to get his backside on his private jet and fly to Tallahassee with his legal team and beg to stop this. If DeSantis still refused to work after Iger physically coming to bring an olive branch, I'd feel differently. But last I heard Iger sent the DeSantis camp a message using one of his underlings about potentially having a meet. Nothing happened. He needs to camp out at the statehouse until he's seen. Would it be humiliating? Yeah. But he needs to end this for the good of the Walt Disney Company. This should be one of his top priorities.

He needs to play ball and take the humiliation. He famously suffered a grueling and humiliating ordeal with the Chinese Government (reported by @WDW1974). His patience with that ordeal saw the successful launch of Shanghai Disney. We need that Iger back. What happened to Iger the diplomat who could handle difficult relationships with people like Steve Jobs and President Xi? Now Iger can't even handle the Florida governor. This is pathetic.

Or maybe the Disney board should get a CEO who knows how to fix this. Floridians are not evil. They have tremendous amount of goodwill towards Disney. They will forgive and forget if given the chance. But that process can only stop by putting this process behind them. Moreover, shareholders deserve to have solid and level governance. Playing fast and loose with one of the company's most prized assets is insane.
it’s amazing how nobody actually states what Disney can offer. Just something.

WoundedDreamer

it’s amazing how nobody actually states what Disney can offer. Just something.
They could start by dropping their DOA lawsuits that are wasting the State and Disney's time and resources. Then they could collaborate on a longterm development plan for Walt Disney World.

They might also want to express their gratitude for Florida and Floridians publicly for having been generous over nearly 60 years in allowing them to operate in their home state with little interference.

Disstevefan1

What’s crazy about this whole thing is that I doubt Disney would have said anything at all if they didn’t get caught donating to supporters of the bill. They were put on the defensive and called out publicly by their own employees. It was a lose lose no matter which way they went.
I know I am Monday morning quarterbacking this, but I wonder if Disney made NO PUBLIC response, while working behind the scenes would have worked better?

mmascari

They could start by dropping their DOA lawsuits that are wasting the State and Disney's time and resources. Then they could collaborate on a longterm development plan for Walt Disney World.

They might also want to express their gratitude for Florida and Floridians publicly for having been generous over nearly 60 years in allowing them to operate in their home state with little interference.
This sounds like requesting that the state of FL take over running Walt Disney World. That's an interesting take, to say.

Chi84

Premium Member
I know nothing about this, but my BIL is an attorney in a state AG office first amendment and human rights division. He told me it would be very very difficult for Disney to win this case for the exact reasons the judge dismissed it.

He just said that first amendment law isn’t as straightforward as most people think because the current precedents are convoluted and contradictory. Unfortunately my knowledge is limited so can’t really provide any other explanation. Just figured I’d pipe up because he knows more about this stuff than most people.

FWIW, my BIL is very liberal.
In my opinion, people think the laws protect their constitutional rights/civil liberties to a much greater extent than they actually do. This is why there’s disappointment on both sides of the political spectrum.

But a district court ruling in favor of DeSantis on first amendment grounds was recently reversed by the 11th circuit so we’ll have to see.

Vegas Disney Fan

As much as I’ve soured on Iger I still have no doubt he could have navigated this and avoided the whole mess, for all his faults he’s a very good PR guy and I think he could have gotten a strong enough message across to appease the employees while also being diplomatic enough not to draw the ire of an entire state.

Chapek bumbling through it was the worst possible scenario, he managed to alienate both the employees and the state

WoundedDreamer

This sounds like requesting that the state of FL take over running Walt Disney World. That's an interesting take, to say.
Yeah, I'm calling for the nationalization of Walt Disney World.

Or I'm calling for a development that includes multiple stakeholders working together in order to help all parties involved succeed.

Whichever one makes more sense to you.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yeah, I'm calling for the nationalization of Walt Disney World.

Or I'm calling for a development that includes multiple stakeholders working together in order to help all parties involved succeed.

Whichever one makes more sense to you.
IMHO that would be like calling for multiple stakeholders on any other corporate campus. So imho your first sentence would apply

mmascari

It's not a foregone conclusion that the appeals court will agree wtih him.
I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen one on TV.

Doesn't the appeals court just need to determine that one of the conditions the judge used to restrict the case was incorrect and then kick it back down to re-evaluate without that condition.

For instance, the appeals court could determine that Disney was targeted and the other districts were caught as collateral damage instead of the current court determination that Disney was not targeted because other districts were also impacted.

Flip that one decision on appeal, and everything about the dismissal changes. That would be it, and the case would pick back up in the current court.

It's not like there is a lack of evidence that Disney was targeted. 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom