Redesign Avengers Campus

J4546

Original Poster
Using my template, how would you have designed an avengers campus? Must keep the avengers HQ/stage barrier to future expansion. Im curious to see what people come up with!

Attachments

• ac.jpg
    ac.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 142

CM.X777

The issues is money, you can do a ton of things in a small space if you have a really big budget. Imagine all the things they could have crammed in the land if they had just a 1/3 of the SWGE budget.

Last edited:

Nirya

I'm going to start by saying I think you're starting with a flawed premise by limiting the space available. As is, we're supposed to consider Guardians as part of the Avengers HQ plot, and theoretically, the lot behind it is set aside for future Avengers HQ expansion. That all said, I'm going to expand even further in this idea, so fair warning. You're getting a "what would you do in this specific area if you could have your way" post.

Looking over the map (I'm using OpenStreetMap to give some better layout visualizations just fyi), part of the issue might be the layout of the area. It's a bit cramped and hemmed in on all sides, so let's start by moving the Red Car Trolley Storage to the east of GotG. Pathing also puts the entrance to the land very close to Cars Land, so the new entrance would move opposite the Grizzly Peak waterfall. The area that was vacated can have a gift shop of some kind (I'll get to theming in a bit). You might recognize this would cut into the space for Webslingers, but that's perfectly fine because I'm tearing that building out. A restaurant is now going into the space right behind Carthay (let's say Pyms for a second but, again, we'll get to theming soon enough), which would also allow it to share an expanded kitchen with Carthay.

Moving more inward, I don't actually have an issue with the idea of a Spider-Man-centric ride, but the concept and execution leave a lot to be desired. Thus the new ride would take up space more to the east of its current location and would be almost perpendicular to Guardians. The new ride space would also take over part of the Art of Animation building, which I'm willing to sacrifice for a better ride experience.

This is actually a good place to get into the theme, and this is where the existence of Mission Breakout plays a role. The basic story of that ride is that the Collector has arrived to Earth and is showing off part of his collection to the people here. This should be the basis of the Marvel area, and have it be a mobile base that was set up as a response before Iron Man (or whoever you want really) decided to turn it into a permanent West Coast base for the Avengers. Stylistically, it should harken back to the style of the Avengers Compound they had in upstate New York, which was clean and modern and looked like a place that superheroes would be at. Also a lot of trees which could help it blend in more with the neighboring Grizzly Peak and Cars Land.

Spider-Man-Homecoming_183-AvengersHQ.jpg

Now, here's how we'd approach this. Pym's Test Kitchen is a concept I like enough to keep around, but the Shwarma stand gets ditched. Frankly there's enough dining options in DCA as-is, and if the idea is that this is a functional Avengers base, there probably is just the one main food area. The little gift shop across from it near the entrance becomes Avengers Supply, with basic Marvel-themed stuff. The rerouted pathing leaves enough room to put a smaller ride where the Doctor Strange show currently is, and that's exactly what we're going to do. I'm thinking of a Captain America "First Flight" ride. Think a Top Spin or Octopus-style ride where guests are twirled in a circle while air blasts at them, something easy enough that little kids could ride. Someone could do something more with this.

Spider-Man still gets his ride, but I think you could do a much better interactive ride without the TSMM elements, specifically the double-sided vehicles that then require the ride to have the warehouse-style we see. So here's what we're going to do: there will still be screens, you will still shoot webs, but they're single-direction cars like are seen on Knotts Beary Tales. This would allow the ride to pivot around and go through some phsyical scenes at times.

As for story, one of my criticisms with the ride now is that it's JUST Spider-Man, and in an Avengers-based land that's pretty disappointing. On top of that, the Spider-bots, while a good choice for providing things for guests to interact with, are not a compelling force to drive a ride. Spider-Man's MCU villains at the moment are not on the level to carry that burden, but you know who is an MCU villain with the charisma to do so and already has an established presence in the area? Ultron. Reminder: there is an Ultron sentry bot in the Guardians entrance room. So the story now goes that Peter Parker is showing off his new Spider-bots when they get hijacked by Ultron looking to return to power, and Spider-Man enlists the help of the guests in stopping him. Along the way, some of the other Avengers join in to help, like Ant-Man helps in the Pym Labs section and the Guardians (likely Rocket and Groot to save some money) help in that specific section, with the final one featuring Iron Man showing up to help put down Ultron again. The ride itself would still feature screens, but have more physical sets (think a Spider-bot throwing a vehicle at guests to end a shooting scene, the ride vehicle "dodging" this, and turning to see a car smoking in a wall behind where they were before transitioning to the next screen) and would feature at least one high-end Ultron animatronic. Honestly, I think I just made an MCU version of Amazing Spider-Man at Universal, but with a web-shooter, and I'm ok with that.

Finally, let's talk that Avengers E-ticket in the back. I...have no idea what I'd want from this. There's certainly enough space to do something big here (you could actually fit the combined building of Flight of Passage and Navi River Expedition quite comfortably in this area), but I think I'd want something closer to Escape from Gringotts, a roller coaster that combines screens and motion to create a fantastic ride. Both Gringotts and Forbidden Journey would fit into this back plot easily, so there's no need to hold back.

Professortango1

I'd retheme Mission BO to Dr Strange's Inner Sanctum as the ride can play on emotions of fear and suspense as it was designed.

The area would be forested with a tree covered hillside cave leading into the compound from Grizzly Peak's waterfall. Once we pass through the cave, we see a two-story base built into the mountainside. Above us is a dining location with a good terrace view and shares the same kitchen as Carthay. Also on the second story near the animation building is an elevated spinner where guests can take some Stark Jet Packs for a tethered test run. Below the spinner is the queue for Guardians of the Galaxy's darkride. Rocket and Groot are showing off some of their space tech and we're there to see the teleporter. In an attempt to teleport the rest of the crew, things go awry and various aliens are teleported instead. We board ride vehicles and help blast away at the various aliens in a GOTG shooter featuring tons of fun action and a blend of screens and practical sets.

On the south side of the land, where Dr Strange currently is, have a terraced seating area with a stage and buildings for Avengers Training Academy. Have a rotating set of shows that include audience interaction. We can have the current Dr Strange magic show, the Spidey stuntronic experience, and a Black Widow/Wanda show that has a fancy tech element hook. The shows are 20 minutes and end with a meet and greet.

cmwade77

My idea: How about making it retro Disney instead. It could bring in updated versions of classic attractions. Brink back beloved restaurants and shops they are long gone. Best of all? No IPs, especially none that weren't created by Disney....i.e. no purchased IPs.

cmwade77

I’d bulldoze everything and let the Imagineers run wild with something not connected to Marvel or any other purchased IP. And anyone who suggested ride DLC, reservations, or rides-as-toy-commercials would be fired instantly.
I agree, same goes for anyone suggestion virtual queues or boarding groups, immediate firing.

Also anyone who suggests something that doesn't allow guests of all abilities and sizes to ride shall be fired immediately as well. Having watched the video of the Spider Man ride, I can't see how someone who say doesn't have arms could participate in the ride. At least Toy Story has a couple of cannons with push buttons. Not perfect, but more accessible than Spider Man.

Suspirian

I'd retheme Mission BO to Dr Strange's Inner Sanctum as the ride can play on emotions of fear and suspense as it was designed.

The area would be forested with a tree covered hillside cave leading into the compound from Grizzly Peak's waterfall. Once we pass through the cave, we see a two-story base built into the mountainside. Above us is a dining location with a good terrace view and shares the same kitchen as Carthay. Also on the second story near the animation building is an elevated spinner where guests can take some Stark Jet Packs for a tethered test run. Below the spinner is the queue for Guardians of the Galaxy's darkride. Rocket and Groot are showing off some of their space tech and we're there to see the teleporter. In an attempt to teleport the rest of the crew, things go awry and various aliens are teleported instead. We board ride vehicles and help blast away at the various aliens in a GOTG shooter featuring tons of fun action and a blend of screens and practical sets.

On the south side of the land, where Dr Strange currently is, have a terraced seating area with a stage and buildings for Avengers Training Academy. Have a rotating set of shows that include audience interaction. We can have the current Dr Strange magic show, the Spidey stuntronic experience, and a Black Widow/Wanda show that has a fancy tech element hook. The shows are 20 minutes and end with a meet and greet.
this is perfect

mickEblu

Have any of the vloggers put up a before and after of Avengers Campus yet? That’s something I’d like to see. From what I’ve seen online it looks like the old tissue bathrooms is the only structure that remains from Bugs Land. Pym is roughly where Fliks was. Avengers building is where Tuck n Roll was and Dr Strange in the Heimlichs area? The water playground looks like it’s just open space now.

Stevek

Have any of the vloggers put up a before and after of Avengers Campus yet? That’s something I’d like to see. From what I’ve seen online it looks like the old tissue bathrooms is the only structure that remains from Bugs Land. Pym is roughly where Fliks was. Avengers building is where Tuck n Roll was and Dr Strange in the Heimlichs area? The water playground looks like it’s just open space now.
I'm no vlogger but here's a comparison. Your observations above are correct. I went back a little too far on the map search so my before is missing mater.

1623347171855.png

Miru

A parking lot in the middle of a park? How... convenient. There really should be a rule saying you can’t full-on scrap something and not replace it, though.

I’d totally re-imagine the place to theme it around Golden Age Marvel comics (1939-1946), possibly Intergenum and early Silver Age (up to Walt’s death, most likely), so we’d see rides of Namor, Captain America, original Human Torch, and more.

Stevek

A parking lot in the middle of a park? How... convenient. There really should be a rule saying you can’t full-on scrap something and not replace it, though.
You missed the joke...

“I liked it better as a parking lot.” - John Hench

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom