Recommended Primes for the Parks?

carolina_yankee

Original Poster
Have any photographers here used prime lenses in the parks? If so, which focal lengths did you use and why?

I'm seriously considering giving that a try - at least at the wide and standard ends. I think I'll still want my 50-210 zoom for AK because of the animals, and various facial expressions for performances.

I'm likely to get the Sigma trio of 16/1.4, 30/1.4, and 56/1.4 for my Sony a6500. That gives me effectively 24mm, 45mm and 85mm. I'm thinking the 16 (24) might be most useful followed by 30 (45) considering shots I've taken.

Goal for the primes is better glass, better low-light, and better bokeh for the focal length. Also to mix things up a bit and challenge my creativity.

I currently have the Zeiss 16-70/f4 (24-105 as my walkaround), and I tend to shoot at 16-20 (24 - 30). I also have the 50-210 (85 - 315), which I'll keep bringing for the odd telephoto needs.

Thoughts?

Dirk

ddbowdoin

Ditch the zooms... is there no 35mm equivalent option? Depending on lens price I’d just buy a Fuji X100F and have that as my prime machine. At like 1100 bucks it’s almost like buying a high end lens. The Fuji is nice.

I’ve been out of the game for a while in terms of new(ish) gear...

As you can see...

sporadic

My most used lens on my last two trips was a 35/1.4 on my X-T1. Next up was my 10-24. Love the 35/1.4 on the parks.

thomas998

Last few trips were almost exclusively prime lenses... equivalent focal lengths of 24mm, 50mm and 80mm. I used to take a zoom or two to get pictures of things like animals until I finally convinced myself that it made more sense to focus on shots of my family since I can find a picture of any of the animals I might see on the internet.

BoarderPhreak

Depends on the sensor format; full frame vs. APS-C, etc. so let's talk "35mm equivalent."

I prefer a 35/50mm to start with. Throw in a mild tele like an 85-135mm for the long end (mostly for AK or parades) and finally, a wide angle such as a 21-28mm. A trio like this is what I would consider a well-rounded assortment, and I generally go with f/1.4 primes. I've been known to throw in a pancake lens because they're basically a freebie, and great for having the smallest possible setup to throw in a pocket.

That said, I generally throw in a zoom or two... Either an ultra-wide (because they're very unique) and/or a 24-70mm or thereabouts - mainly for ease during times where I only want to grab one lens during the day or heading out for dinner out, etc. I often leave these in the room when heading out evenings.

Long and short of it, I'd say you can get away with a wide angle and normal focal length primes.

But I'm crazy like that. 😜

fractal

Have any photographers here used prime lenses in the parks? If so, which focal lengths did you use and why?

I'm seriously considering giving that a try - at least at the wide and standard ends. I think I'll still want my 50-210 zoom for AK because of the animals, and various facial expressions for performances.

I'm likely to get the Sigma trio of 16/1.4, 30/1.4, and 56/1.4 for my Sony a6500. That gives me effectively 24mm, 45mm and 85mm. I'm thinking the 16 (24) might be most useful followed by 30 (45) considering shots I've taken.

Goal for the primes is better glass, better low-light, and better bokeh for the focal length. Also to mix things up a bit and challenge my creativity.

I currently have the Zeiss 16-70/f4 (24-105 as my walkaround), and I tend to shoot at 16-20 (24 - 30). I also have the 50-210 (85 - 315), which I'll keep bringing for the odd telephoto needs.

Thoughts?

Dirk

I had the 16mm 1.4 - really nice lens. As someone that shoots just primes I think you'll do just fine with that trio.

My last trip I used just 3 primes: Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8, Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8 (which I dropped in the water inside Pirates! :facepalm:) and the Sony 85mm 1.8 on my A7R2. I used the 85mm in APS-C Crop Mode on KS which gave me an equivalent 127mm length.

Enjoy - I found primes do help stir creativity more so than zooms.

carolina_yankee

Original Poster
Well, life intervened and I forgot about this thread. Thanks so much for the replies.

I’ve gotten the Sigma 30/1.4 and I’m extremely pleased with it. Next up will be the Sigma 16/1.4 before my August trip. I’ll also take my 55-210 for AK animal stuff.

By February’s trip, I’ll decide if I want a 56/1.4 or anything longer, prime-wise. I don’t shoot portraits or telephoto that often in real life, but it would be nice to have something to capture detail shots with great bokeh since Disney doesn’t always put everything in arm’s reach.

@sporadic, really great pictures.

Dirk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom