recipes on wdwrecipes.com - question on dole whip

dcibrando

Original Poster
I just got back from Disney and had my first Dole Whip... well actually it was a Pinapple Float which says includes the 'Dole Whip' ... when I look at the recipe on www.wdwrecipes.com for it, I see it includes lemon juice and lime juice and is suppost to be a slushy drink?

Did I go wrong by getting the Pinapple Float instead of the actual Dole Whip?

tigsmom

I just got back from Disney and had my first Dole Whip... well actually it was a Pinapple Float which says includes the 'Dole Whip' ... when I look at the recipe on www.wdwrecipes.com for it, I see it includes lemon juice and lime juice and is suppost to be a slushy drink?

If you enjoyed it then you didn't go wrong. :lol:

A Dole Whip is more like a soft serve custard than a float (you don't see the juice).

250px-Dolewhips.jpg

the one on the left is the whip while the one on the right is the float...both yummy in their own way.

WDW Monorail

I once made the recipe at home. It tasted so badly that I questioned my ability to put ingredients together.:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

rainfully

The float is Dole Whip on top of pineapple juice... so you basically had a Dole Whip with a little something extra! Very yummy!

I don't know about that recipe... but I made a Dole Whip recipe at home once... it wasn't that one... I definitely didn't use lime juice... but it was SO GOOD!!!! (not EXACTLY like the ones at Disney but good enough!) I don't remember where I got it though...

tigsmom

The float is Dole Whip on top of pineapple juice... so you basically had a Dole Whip with a little something extra! Very yummy!

I don't know about that recipe... but I made a Dole Whip recipe at home once... it wasn't that one... I definitely didn't use lime juice... but it was SO GOOD!!!! (not EXACTLY like the ones at Disney but good enough!) I don't remember where I got it though...

We've made them at home too and they tasted pretty good, I've used both recipes that we have posted in our recipe thread.

I liked the one that uses the ice cream maker, but you have to let it sit awhile to cure. I'd love to have one of those soft serve ice cream makers so I could make the swirls just like in WDW. :lol:

tigsmom

Just double checked the recipes...its not a slushy drink, thats the consistency
it should be before you mix it into the whipped cream...this is not the best recipe though.

jasondiff

You can make an almost perfect dole whip at home.
The recipes you see online are just approximations. This is the real deal:

Get a home ice cream maker, the kind that you freeze the tub in your freezer. I have a Cuisinart ICE-20. They are around $30-40.
Get your real dole whip mix here (this is what they use at WDW):
http://www.uec-hawaii.com/products2.html
$22 plus shipping, but it lasts a long time (makes something like 80 servings).

You just add the mix to water and put it in the machine, and in 20 minutes you have dole whip!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You can make an almost perfect dole whip at home.
The recipes you see online are just approximations. This is the real deal:

Get a home ice cream maker, the kind that you freeze the tub in your freezer. I have a Cuisinart ICE-20. They are around $30-40.
Get your real dole whip mix here (this is what they use at WDW):
http://www.uec-hawaii.com/products2.html
$22 plus shipping, but it lasts a long time (makes something like 80 servings).

You just add the mix to water and put it in the machine, and in 20 minutes you have dole whip!
Do you know if this will work in home soft serve machines like this one by Cuisinart?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It should.

We discussed this mix quite awhile back back in our recipe thread .

I think that this mixer would create a better presentation since the original is soft-serve.
I used to have a soft-serve machine but somehow, the motor burned out when I used it for the first time:cry: :shrug:.
The wife and I looked at the Cuisinnart machine a few months ago and the first thing we thought of were dole whips. Now that we know we can get the same mix that they use at MK we will definitely get one.

So much for that 20 lbs I lost.

tigsmom

The wife and I looked at the Cuisinnart machine a few months ago and the first thing we thought of were dole whips. Now that we know we can get the same mix that they use at MK we will definitely get one.

So much for that 20 lbs I lost.

Lil'Mermaid is trying to talk me into buying one also, just so we can make these. :lol:

jasondiff

That Cuisinart should work fine. The description says it has a double-insulated freezer bowl, so it will work the same way as any of the other home machines with the freezer bowl. I wouldn't expect too much from the dispenser though, I don't think it will work like a commercial machine. It's more designed to mix in other stuff.
Mine is this one which is half the price but uses the same size freezer bowl, 1.5 qt. I just scoop it out with a spoon, sure the presentation is not perfect but to me it's all about the taste!

Master Yoda, check out the nutrition information here - it's surprisingly not bad for you!

tigsmom

That Cuisinart should work fine. The description says it has a double-insulated freezer bowl, so it will work the same way as any of the other home machines with the freezer bowl. I wouldn't expect too much from the dispenser though, I don't think it will work like a commercial machine. It's more designed to mix in other stuff.

Mine is this one which is half the price but uses the same size freezer bowl, 1.5 qt. I just scoop it out with a spoon, sure the presentation is not perfect but to me it's all about the taste!

Master Yoda, check out the nutrition information here - it's surprisingly not bad for you!

Thats the one we have and it works very well. :cool:

The soft serve one works very well and it is the consistency of frozen custard (we know someone who uses theirs almost daily), the mix in feature is just a bonus feature.

beanboon

Do you know if this will work in home soft serve machines like this one by Cuisinart?

It DOES. I've done it with the official powder mix and it works just fine, just be sure to get the ratio of water to mix correct.

The Cuisinart Soft Serve machine is not necessary, a regular ice cream maker works fine (it did for me). Just scoop it out.

You can freeze the leftovers and make great Dole Whip sorbet too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom