Recent trip left me a little disappointed...

tinker bubbles

Original Poster
We just returned from WDW on Dec 5 and I noted a few things that disappointed me and left me feeling sad. First, for those other guests and cast members who weren't down right rude the rest weren't very friendly or willing to make conversation. I think this bothers me most because I've always loved talking to others about where they are from and just you know Disney talk, but not this time.

Second, I noticed that the so called cast members in most cases did not play they're role by using their monologues. It made the rides feel like everyday theme park attractions and not like being immersed in a disney story line.

Third, I bought christmas party tickets and we were sooo excited about them because we have never been at this time of year before. We entered the park before 4pm and had no problem getting our bracelets, but then made our way to main street about 6pm to find wall to wall people and no place to wait for the parade that didn't even start till 8pm. In the 5 hrs blocked off for the party we saw the parade and wishes while fighting tooth and nail to hold our spots. I really feel disney over sold tickets and don't think i will ever buy special party tickets again. We previously bought Halloween and Pirate/ Princess party tickets and didn't have any problems.

Well I'm just curious has anyone experienced any of the above in your recent trips and what are your thoughts?

rct247

While there are rude cast members and average theme park cast members, it is easy to remember negative thoughts more than positive. Did you have some positive cast member experiences as well? Sometimes cast members are focused on the job at hand and carrying on a conversation is not a top priority. Even with Disney high guest standards, depending on the time, location, and role, you have to almost expect that cast members do have a job to perform and can't take time for everyone.

I'm sure some of your observations were in most cases very true, just remember it could have also been just a fluke trip. That's just all my opinion though.

As for the Christmas party, most of the parties last week actually saw sold out crowds. This means that Main Street will be crowded for the first parade, but I still bet the lines for the attractions were low waits and other parts of the park looked completely empty. With the highlights of the party being the parade and fireworks, everyone usually tries to see them. The first parade will also be busiest for sure, and that goes for ANY night parade or show offering... Christmas, Halloween, Spectro, Electrical, and Fantasmic.

Next time for parades, try to see the second showing. Typically the beginning and ends of the parade route are also less crowded. The most crowded locations for any Magic Kingdom parade are always going to be either end of Main Street (Emporium/Confectionary or Casey's/Ice Cream) and also in the Hub from the Main Street Bridge to Liberty Square. The least crowded spot tends to always be on the river side across from the Frontierland Shooting Arcade and Country Bear Jamboree.

Finally last week was also different with crowd levels and park operations due to the ending of Thanksgiving holiday breaks, Christmas Day Parade taping (and their participants), and the beginning of Pop Warner participants arriving on property.

loveofamouse

We had similar disappointment with the christmas party last year. It had to be the worst Disney exp I've had. They way oversold and then it was advertised as the last day being made special so we went on the last day. Nothing was done special from the other nights. There were ALOT of people without bracelets. No one really policing those people out the door. The CMs were rude and short during the party. We left after the parade. :(

I want to do the Halloween party but I don't think I'll go back to the christmas party. I really liked the christmas parade, though.

tampabrad

As a former CM, I know that the holiday time can be very harsh. Sometimes CMs lose their magic and friendliness when mandatory overtime hits. I would imagine most CMs are working at least 10 hours a day. Remember, they have to prepare for the holidays while working extra hours and extra days.

As for MVMCP, it seems like attendance has had a mojot increase. I remember the first time I attended, it was almost creepy walking through the park and not seeing a single guest.

dweezil78

Second, I noticed that the so called cast members in most cases did not play they're role by using their monologues. It made the rides feel like everyday theme park attractions and not like being immersed in a disney story line.

This is often my main gripe with CMs out here in Disneyland. Some of them know how to completely sell it and make an attraction that much more memorable -- but there are others who totally phone it in and run through their lines like there's somewhere else they need to be. It's a bummer because when you find a CM who puts effort into it, it really makes it such a more memorable experience.

Perfect example, we've had one or two really incredible CMs at load for TOT who put on a show while you're waiting to board, interacting with the little kids and making the entire crowd laugh. Those leave a lasting memory with everyone. Then you have CMs who, no joke, mumble through it all and you can't even understand what they're saying. It's almost insulting. Finding this to be the majority these days unfortunately, but thankfully there are still some gems to be found!

Fortunately, for us DL'ers, we still have Maynard!!! If you are ever out here, seek him out -- he's a must-see right up there with the E-Tickets. :)

Texas84

It's human nature to forget the positive and remember the negative. The CMs herding the cattle seem to be having the roughest time. I can understand that. But the CMs working the Halloween Party we attended were amazing. Everyone waving at you with mouse gloves when the parks open and close still gets to me. I ran the Halloween 5K through MK and all the CMs were out early cheering us on. That was awesome. As far as I'm concerned they are allowed to have a bad day once in a while. :)

Lisalyn

We were there over Thanksgiving week and didn't really experience anything you are mentioning as far as CM's and such. In fact, I found them delightful this go around! And it was pretty busy being Thanksgiving holiday and such. They even made light of several ride "stoppages due to technical difficulties" and kept everyone in high spirits. Also, we do lots of ADR's. Last year on the DDP we had to wait alot to sit at our ADR's. This year NOT being on the DDP, I was pleasantly surprised at how FAST we got seated lol :lol: Only thing I can attribute that to is since it's not part of a package deal and cold hard cash LOL :ROFLOL:But we didn't care - it was great!

LoriMistress

While there are rude cast members and average theme park cast members, it is easy to remember negative thoughts more than positive. Did you have some positive cast member experiences as well? Sometimes cast members are focused on the job at hand and carrying on a conversation is not a top priority. Even with Disney high guest standards, depending on the time, location, and role, you have to almost expect that cast members do have a job to perform and can't take time for everyone.

I'm sure some of your observations were in most cases very true, just remember it could have also been just a fluke trip. That's just all my opinion though.

As for the Christmas party, most of the parties last week actually saw sold out crowds. This means that Main Street will be crowded for the first parade, but I still bet the lines for the attractions were low waits and other parts of the park looked completely empty. With the highlights of the party being the parade and fireworks, everyone usually tries to see them. The first parade will also be busiest for sure, and that goes for ANY night parade or show offering... Christmas, Halloween, Spectro, Electrical, and Fantasmic.

Next time for parades, try to see the second showing. Typically the beginning and ends of the parade route are also less crowded. The most crowded locations for any Magic Kingdom parade are always going to be either end of Main Street (Emporium/Confectionary or Casey's/Ice Cream) and also in the Hub from the Main Street Bridge to Liberty Square. The least crowded spot tends to always be on the river side across from the Frontierland Shooting Arcade and Country Bear Jamboree.

Finally last week was also different with crowd levels and park operations due to the ending of Thanksgiving holiday breaks, Christmas Day Parade taping (and their participants), and the beginning of Pop Warner participants arriving on property.

Agree with everything you wrote.

This is often my main gripe with CMs out here in Disneyland. Some of them know how to completely sell it and make an attraction that much more memorable -- but there are others who totally phone it in and run through their lines like there's somewhere else they need to be. It's a bummer because when you find a CM who puts effort into it, it really makes it such a more memorable experience.

Perfect example, we've had one or two really incredible CMs at load for TOT who put on a show while you're waiting to board, interacting with the little kids and making the entire crowd laugh. Those leave a lasting memory with everyone. Then you have CMs who, no joke, mumble through it all and you can't even understand what they're saying. It's almost insulting. Finding this to be the majority these days unfortunately, but thankfully there are still some gems to be found!

Fortunately, for us DL'ers, we still have Maynard!!! If you are ever out here, seek him out -- he's a must-see right up there with the E-Tickets. :)

That's my major gripe with DL as well--CM's who phone it in. I get it, it's a job--DL is a local park. When the park hits capacity, it sucks. Working overtime, and dealing with stupid guests on a daily basis would put me in a sour mood. But it just sucks when you visit the parks when it's off season on a week day, and you can tell that the CMs ate their job.

zipoff

Also, we do lots of ADR's. Last year on the DDP we had to wait alot to sit at our ADR's. This year NOT being on the DDP, I was pleasantly surprised at how FAST we got seated lol :lol: Only thing I can attribute that to is since it's not part of a package deal and cold hard cash LOL :ROFLOL:But we didn't care - it was great!

We went Nov 6-13. We had quiet a few ADRs for breakfast or lunch and a couple for dinner. The least amount of time we waited was 30 minutes. It's great fun having a reservation, then waiting 30 minutes with a 2 1/2 year old and a 7 month old.

We were told their goal is to seat you within 20 minutes of your arrival time. Unforunately, we followed their guidance and arrived early, only to still wait.

It was to the point that we discussed doing only 1 or 2 ADRs on our next trip, which is a disappointment.

We did MVMCP on November 8th (the first day) and it wasn't overly busy. The streets were lined for the first parade, but we used that time to go on the rides. For the second parade it was still busier than I would have thought, but we had no problem finding a spot and the characters came up to shake hands with our 2 1/2 year old.

Alektronic

We just returned from WDW on Dec 5 and I noted a few things that disappointed me and left me feeling sad. First, for those other guests and cast members who weren't down right rude the rest weren't very friendly or willing to make conversation. I think this bothers me most because I've always loved talking to others about where they are from and just you know Disney talk, but not this time.

Third, I bought christmas party tickets and we were sooo excited about them because we have never been at this time of year before. We entered the park before 4pm and had no problem getting our bracelets, but then made our way to main street about 6pm to find wall to wall people and no place to wait for the parade that didn't even start till 8pm. In the 5 hrs blocked off for the party we saw the parade and wishes while fighting tooth and nail to hold our spots. I really feel disney over sold tickets and don't think i will ever buy special party tickets again. We previously bought Halloween and Pirate/ Princess party tickets and didn't have any problems.

Well I'm just curious has anyone experienced any of the above in your recent trips and what are your thoughts?

Maybe the CM's were still worried about the contract talks with Disney.

Computer Magic

First, for those other guests and cast members who weren't down right rude the rest weren't very friendly or willing to make conversation. I think this bothers me most because I've always loved talking to others about where they are from and just you know Disney talk, but not this time
Just returned from an 8 day trip and had the same discussion with my wife. I think my 40% discount gave me 40% less quality. This coming from two people that has enjoyed 8 previous trips. My wife at one point during the trip stated, she didn't want to return to Disney for a while.

bgraham34

Just returned from an 8 day trip and had the same discussion with my wife. I think my 40% discount gave me 40% less quality. This coming from two people that has enjoyed 8 previous trips. My wife at one point during the trip stated, she didn't want to return to Disney for a while.

Well you learned a very valuable lesson, you should have not taken the discount then you would have had a 100% enjoyable trip. :ROFLOL::p:ROFLOL:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Hmm... I was there during the same time that you were I think (Nov 28-Dec 5).
What night did you do MVMCP? We did Dec 2, and were very happy with how it went. Yes, the parade/fireworks were busy, but even arriving not long prior to either, we got great spots (Right near Partners for parade, Crystal Palace for fireworks) and the people near us were also very nice and offered up their spots so my 2 1/2 YO could see. The ride times were next to nothing for pretty much every ride all night. I dont think I waited more than 10 minutes for anything.

I dont remember any rude CMs, most I spoke with were trying hard to be helpful, even when herding the masses. Some maybe not as knowledgable (asking us to go to one side of Main Street to skip the parade, only to get blocked off by it), etc, but never rude. I'm not saying that they are not rude CMs, we all know that there are, I'm just saying I was lucky enough not to experience any.

My only complaint for the whole week was that 11/29 and 12/4 at the MK were quite busy, and getting out was a mess. But, I'm so used to going during a very low crowd time, it was more of a shock to my system than an actual complaint.

Computer Magic

Hmm... I was there during the same time that you were I think (Nov 28-Dec 5).
What night did you do MVMCP? We did Dec 2, and were very happy with how it went. Yes, the parade/fireworks were busy, but even arriving not long prior to either, we got great spots (Right near Partners for parade, Crystal Palace for fireworks) and the people near us were also very nice and offered up their spots so my 2 1/2 YO could see. The ride times were next to nothing for pretty much every ride all night. I dont think I waited more than 10 minutes for anything.

I dont remember any rude CMs, most I spoke with were trying hard to be helpful, even when herding the masses. Some maybe not as knowledgable (asking us to go to one side of Main Street to skip the parade, only to get blocked off by it), etc, but never rude. I'm not saying that they are not rude CMs, we all know that there are, I'm just saying I was lucky enough not to experience any.

My only complaint for the whole week was that 11/29 and 12/4 at the MK were quite busy, and getting out was a mess. But, I'm so used to going during a very low crowd time, it was more of a shock to my system than an actual complaint.
I found the MVMCP CM to be nice on Dec 7th. As for MK being crowded, I agree. But people on this site knew going around Dec 2 - 4 was going to be bad. The Xmas Parade does make it hard to get around. Maybe Disney should stop trying to be so perfect and show the parade live as Macy's parade.

I was in Mk during the parade taping on Dec 3rd and took some nice pic of the floats, saw Tony from Dancing with the Stars and a glimpse of Ryan. The dancers/cheerleaders did a nice job.

rsoxguy

I hope that this post doesn't leave me sounding like a pious windbag, but I'm never saddened by others when I visit WDW. I'm a happy traveller as long as I'm with my family. The rest of the world can join the fun, or sit by the wayside.

cowanfamily

I was there the week of Thanksgiving. The parks were packed. I have never seen them as full as I did that week. With that being said the overall experience was incredible, again! DHS was slammed on the 23rd. I think this was because it was the only showing of Fantasmic that week. The mood in the parks was great and the CM's were awesome. I plan on going back the exact same week again next year. Sure it will be packed, but the atmosphere was to good to pass up. FYI, Tony's has an incredible Thanksgiving dinner. This was probably my biggest surprise of the trip!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I hope that this post doesn't leave me sounding like a pious windbag, but I'm never saddened by others when I visit WDW. I'm a happy traveller as long as I'm with my family. The rest of the world can join the fun, or sit by the wayside.
I was going to say the same thing. I hate that the OP had a bad a few things that irked her, but I would agree and say that my trip isnt about others or even how happy CM's are for us, it is about me and my family having fun and if others want to join in, bring it on. If not, then go on about your day.

*Ill say this about the current CM attitude debate. I feel sorry for them sometimes and can sympathize for them not always having sunshine glowing from them. From what they put up with and what they probably get paid, I give them the benefit of the doubt rather than expect then world. That way, when you do get those great CM's, it is then most wonderful surprise and you just want to thank them; which I do regardless.

draybook

Wow, your last sentence is almost an exact quote from my TR from last December with the troubles we had. We did 2 Xmas nights and the first one was PACKED. We had pretty good experiences with CM's though, just not guests.

Our experience with MVMCP was the exact same as the OP. We went two years ago and vowed to never do it again. We couldn't even get into a single one of the shows b/c they would fill up by the time we made our way through the INSANE crowd.

me_stitch

Premium Member
i agree with rsoxguy, I have fun no matter what and just enjoy being in Disney World. after seeing the way some of the guests act, I would totally understand if a cm was having a bad day. some people are just rude no matter where their at or what their doing. I don't get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom