Recent experiences with F&W Fest?

21stamps

Please, no drinking comments.

I will be going on an adult only (yay!!!) F&W super quick trip this year..I haven't been since 2009!! We're trying to decide on dates.

I can only do a Sunday early am- Wednesday evening.

Any recommendations on best times to go?
Recent experiences?

bee

I have been in 2013 and 2015, and I get to go this year!

Your Sunday to Wednesday timeline is already in your favor, regardless of the dates you end up picking. Weekends are craaaaazy. If possible, avoid holidays or special events like Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, and the Half Marathon. In 2015 we were there on Halloween, which fell on a Saturday, and it was nuts. Not sure if it will be so bad this year, being on a Tuesday.

Visit the booths soon after the 11:00am opening. There will be no lines and you won't have trouble finding a table (instead of a trash can!).

Since there will be more booths than ever before this year, figure out your must-try items and make sure you get those first!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
I have been in 2013 and 2015, and I get to go this year!

Your Sunday to Wednesday timeline is already in your favor, regardless of the dates you end up picking. Weekends are craaaaazy. If possible, avoid holidays or special events like Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, and the Half Marathon. In 2015 were were there on Halloween, which fell on a Saturday, and it was nuts. Not sure if it will be so bad this year, being on a Tuesday.

Visit the booths soon after the 11:00am opening. There will be no lines and you won't have trouble finding a table (instead of a trash can!).

Since there will be more booths than ever before this year, figure out your must-try items and make sure you get those first!

Thank you!!!!!

Upvote 0

DisneyAubs

I agree--you're time frame will serve you well. I definitely prefer hitting up the stands for lunch rather than dinner. Definitely plan out what youre "must-have" dishes are--both for budgeting your money and stomach space. Stretchy pants or a dress are highly advisable!!! I'm not sure how many adults are in your adults-only trip, but plan to share most items. A bite or two of most things is just enough to experience the dish but still have room for more tasty dishes later!

Upvote 0

TDGMedley

I went for the first time Sep 2016 and went the week it opened. I didn't know what to expect but during the day was nice not to pay people. When it got dark it was very busy and hard to walk through the crowd. We had fun eating all the food and a couple drinks..

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

I will be going on an adult only (yay!!!) F&W super quick trip this year..I haven't been since 2009!! We're trying to decide on dates.

Recent experiences?

Wait... so you were there in the spring, you're going on a Disney cruise followed immediately by a week long vacation in the world, now this? Thought you said somewhere along the way you didn't have all this....

Did you mean you haven't been to F&W since 2009?

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
Wait... so you were there in the spring, you're going on a Disney cruise followed immediately by a week long vacation in the world, now this? Thought you said somewhere along the way you didn't have all this....

Did you mean you haven't been to F&W since 2009?

I wasn't there in the spring. I cancelled that due to Easter crowd fear and only having 3 nights. We went to a Cedar Fair park and stayed at a Great Wolf Lodge for 3 nights over Easter instead.

And.. I'm not on going on a Disney cruise in 2017.. we're going on NCL followed by Disney World.

But yes, it is my first time at F&W since before my son was born, and I've known I would go for months now. Leaving him home this trip.. it's a secret.lol

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
I agree--you're time frame will serve you well. I definitely prefer hitting up the stands for lunch rather than dinner. Definitely plan out what youre "must-have" dishes are--both for budgeting your money and stomach space. Stretchy pants or a dress are highly advisable!!! I'm not sure how many adults are in your adults-only trip, but plan to share most items. A bite or two of most things is just enough to experience the dish but still have room for more tasty dishes later!

Thanks for the tips! Right now it's just two of us.. 2 more are maybes. They live in SoFla and we've never been "Disney planners" lol. So we'll see how schedules mesh closer to the dates.

I went for the first time Sep 2016 and went the week it opened. I didn't know what to expect but during the day was nice not to pay people. When it got dark it was very busy and hard to walk through the crowd. We had fun eating all the food and a couple drinks..

I think we're definitely going to go during the day time. I really want to try a few new restaurants at DS, even if we only order an app and drinks.. and of course we'll spend an evening at Trader Sam's. I'm so excited to be going there after 8pm!! We'll most likely stay at BWI so probably Jellyrolls as well. Gotta get all of the adult stuff into 3 nights! ;)

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
I wouldn't be waiting to book it.

I know. I'm sure things have chamged since 2009, but we went annually for F&W and always stayed at BWI or YC.. only once we had to stay at OKW because of lack of availability.
I think we usually booked 30 days or less from our dates.

Most of our Disney Non F&W trips were booked last minute, 2 weeks or under.lol. I don't know if that's possible anymore though.

Upvote 0

Souvenir

If your dates are flexible, I would go in late October or early November since it will be cooler.
I agree with others that the crowd is more manageable during the week. Also- since you're planning to do some table service meals as well, it's best to do the food booths during the earlier part of the day. We've gone to F&W the past two years and we always do a lot of table service meals. We didn't end up trying much other than beverages from the booths either year because we were always too full.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
If your dates are flexible, I would go in late October or early November since it will be cooler.
I agree with others that the crowd is more manageable during the week. Also- since you're planning to do some table service meals as well, it's best to do the food booths during the earlier part of the day. We've gone to F&W the past two years and we always do a lot of table service meals. We didn't end up trying much other than beverages from the booths either year because we were always too full.

Thank you! I unfortunately can't go late October or early November.. it's too close to a family trip we have starting mid/late November.

I am not planning on eating any big meals while I'm there. Food booths, tapas, and appetizers mostly. Hopefully a salad or two somewhere in there.lol. I'm also not making any advanced dining reservations.. we haven't decided if we are even going to book FPs in advance. I just want this trip to be as laid back and spontaneous as possible. :)

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
You don't have your hotel yet?

Did you forget the thread of trying to get yourself lodging for after your cruise and week long Disney stay?

Just read the rest of this. No, I haven't forgotten. But I think that specific week is a lot more crowded than my days for F&W. I'm also a bit more flexible with which week I can go on the adult trip, whereas I have 0 flexibility in November.

Upvote 0

BuddyThomas

@BuddyThomas .. @Tony the Tigger
we don't agree on politics, but we do agree on drinking, fun, and Disney.. :). Help a gal out please!
We went last year, week of November 1, and it was still hot somehow. Loved every minute of it. Definitely don't make dining reservations - you won't need them. There is food and drink as far as the eye can see. The drinks are practically the size of thimbles, so after a few purchases of Barbie doll size beverages, you might want to switch to regular size drinks at the permanent World Showcase kiosks. All in all, you can't go wrong. It's a total blast. There are tons of food and drink pics in my last trip report. Have a great time! :)

Upvote 0

Souvenir

Thank you! I unfortunately can't go late October or early November.. it's too close to a family trip we have starting mid/late November.

I am not planning on eating any big meals while I'm there. Food booths, tapas, and appetizers mostly. Hopefully a salad or two somewhere in there.lol. I'm also not making any advanced dining reservations.. we haven't decided if we are even going to book FPs in advance. I just want this trip to be as laid back and spontaneous as possible. :)
I understand needing to space your vacations out so that you have some time at home between them. I'm always in the same boat. Guess we're pretty fortunate to have that issue :)

I was basing my comment about doing F&W early in the day on you saying that you had some new restaurants you wanted to try. That's why I mentioned meals. Rereading it I see that your focus is on appetizers and drinks. Smart. I hate feeling full. It's hard not to end up uncomfortable at some point on a Disney trip because there's so much to sample, especially lately with so many new great choices at DS.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

Very informative thread! We are going to Food and Wine this year and we plan on splitting most things. WE did the DDP just because there are some restaurants we LOVE so we will space out our snacks and share them. I'm assuming the Food and Wine booths are open the entire time World Showcase is open??

Upvote 0

thomas998

Recent experiences?
Kind of depends on what you are looking for... If you want less crowds then stick with the morning.. If you want better weather and don't mind the crowds do the evening.... though honestly the crowds mid week aren't likely to be that insane. You might want to try and find the entertainment schedule and see if that helps make up your mind for ya. I think last year there were a couple of acts that were a bit better than your state fair acts.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom