Reason NOT to Disney Cruise (trip insurance refund hassles)

Hitchens

Original Poster
In 2013 we took a Disney Cruise to Alaska, and everyone in my family agrees it was our best holiday ever.

This summer we were going to take a Disney cruise in Europe as part of a longer vacation, but my mother-in-law has been hospitalized and my wife as been back to NYC (from L.A.) several times to help care for her. We cancelled our trip to Europe including the cruise because we didn't want to risk having to fly back from Europe. I'd purchased the Disney Cruise trip insurance (over $400 I think), but it has been a real pain for us to fill out the forms because we're thousands of miles from a physician who has been taking care of her. It's not impossible, but again it's really been a pain. The letter from the physician we did get has not been enough because he didn't include the dates he cared for her.

Eventually we'll get to Europe, but we won't be taking a Disney Cruise again.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I realize your experience hasn't been great, but your situation isn't the fault of DCL. The logistics of getting a physician's note from afar isn't fun, but TBH, the physician should know to include dates in their letter. Doctors deal with letters to insurance companies on a regular basis, care dates are a fundamental requirement for them all.

I'd be blaming the doctor for your woes, not the insurance.

DisneyJoe

I realize your experience hasn't been great, but your situation isn't the fault of DCL. The logistics of getting a physician's note from afar isn't fun, but TBH, the physician should know to include dates in their letter. Doctors deal with letters to insurance companies on a regular basis, care dates are a fundamental requirement for them all.

I agree, this is nothing specific to DCL.

Hitchens

Original Poster
I appreciate your replies. Monty & DisneyJoe, and since I now know that doctors do this regularly it'll be less uncomfortable for me to try & get the doctor to do this from so far away. But when I paid a lot for the option of getting a refund I didn't think getting it would be such a bureaucratic annoyance. It's depressing enough to cancel a Disney Cruise and have a sick, beloved relative, but then I have to hear, "No, the letter you obtained [that I got while following the advice of someone else in the insurance company in a phone call], is insufficient."

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

This^^^

Every insurance company requires you to go through a process to make a claim. World Access Service, the company that actually does the trip insurance for DCL, is no different.

Make a claim on any travel insurance policy and you will experience the same thing if not worse.

All you can do is jump through their hoops and play their game. If it becomes a real issue, get an attorney.

Hitchens

Original Poster
This^^^

Every insurance company requires you to go through a process to make a claim. World Access Service, the company that actually does the trip insurance for DCL, is no different.

Make a claim on any travel insurance policy and you will experience the same thing if not worse.

All you can do is jump through their hoops and play their game. If it becomes a real issue, get an attorney.
Thanks, Master Yoda! You are worthy of your name. :)

ChuckElias

Hi @Hitchens , and welcome to this great forum.

First of all, I'm very sorry that your mother-in-law is ill, and I hope she will recover soon. My thoughts are with her and your wife (as she has had to be away from you to care for her mom). That's a difficult situation for any family, even without the added issues that you've experienced.

I commend you on your decision to purchase the travel insurance. While it's disappointing to have to cancel your trip, at least you won't be out of the country and worrying about the costs having to leave your cruise early and fly home. And while there are annoying hoops to jump through, you *will* receive the funds that you're entitled to. That doesn't make up for missing out on your trip, but at least you haven't lost all the funds you initially paid.

Third, as others have said, your issues with the doctor and the insurance company don't have anything to do with Disney or DCL. Please don't hold it against them. If you thought a Disney Cruise was a good value and a good fit for your family before this, please reconsider booking with them again when you eventually do take your trip. I will tell you that my family's DCL Mediterranean cruise in 2007 was literally the best vacation of my life. I hope that you'll at least consider re-booking with DCL.

Finally, when you do take your trip to Europe, you can shop around for travel insurance. You don't have to use the insurance that DCL (or Royal Caribbean or Norwegian, etc) offers. You can search online for other travel insurance providers.

Best wishes for your wife and her mom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I thought DCL's insurance was "cancel for any reason"
The terms and conditions for the insurance Disney sells for the cruise line is over 20 pages long.

As far as I am aware, no cruise line or underwriter has insurance is that is "cancel for any reason" when outside whatever cancellation period they specify.

Hitchens

Original Poster
Update: We received most of the refund. They sent us three checks--one for each passenger (the one to my 13-year-old was made out to "Mrs."), but combined they were $600 short of what Disney said I would receive, so this isn't over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom