News 'Raya and the Last Dragon' offerings coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

PHOTOS - A look at the completed 'Raya and the last Dragon' sand sculpture at Disney's Animal Kingdom​

Animal-Kingdom_Full_41000.jpg

Animal-Kingdom_Full_40994.jpg

Dizmentia

Animal Kingdom Asia McDonald's Happy Meal coming soon...I mean, Raya and the Last Dragon.🐲

Attachments

• rayadragonmcd.jpg
    rayadragonmcd.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 133
  • rayadragontoy.jpg
    rayadragontoy.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 115

GimpYancIent

Got the impression from the start, which seemed confirmed by the trailers that this movie's main purpose was to appeal to the Chinese market. Having watched the live action Mulan, I feel the exact same way about that one.

Just doesn't seem like the primary focus of either of these are the US which would explain why Disney's so cool with releasing them this way. They probably weren't expecting huge things over here for either of them so they're good projects to use for experimenting with release formats.
Great sand sculpture KUDO's to the artist! As for the movie MEH not enthused to see it. The live action Mulan took the shine off stories supposedly based on Chinese lore. Kung Fu Panda is more interesting at this point.

Piebald

Got the impression from the start, which seemed confirmed by the trailers that this movie's main purpose was to appeal to the Chinese market. Having watched the live action Mulan, I feel the exact same way about that one.

Just doesn't seem like the primary focus of either of these are the US which would explain why Disney's so cool with releasing them this way. They probably weren't expecting huge things over here for either of them so they're good projects to use for experimenting with release formats.
That's like saying Coco was made to appeal to Uruguayans or Chileans. Raya doesnt seem to take much from Chinese culture at all from what I've seen in the trailers. Its also getting pretty good reviews.

MrPromey

That's like saying Coco was made to appeal to Uruguayans or Chileans. Raya doesnt seem to take much from Chinese culture at all from what I've seen in the trailers. Its also getting pretty good reviews.

Yep, someone else kind of pointed that out, earlier. My bad. :)

aliceismad

Great sand sculpture KUDO's to the artist! As for the movie MEH not enthused to see it. The live action Mulan took the shine off stories supposedly based on Chinese lore. Kung Fu Panda is more interesting at this point.
Raya isn't based on Chinese lore. It takes inspiration from Southeast Asian cultures.

Also, even if it was, not liking one story because you didn't like a completely different story about the same culture seems, uh, a bit much.

aliceismad

For some reason I'm not excited about this movie. I think it's because it looks like Fox animation and not Disney or Pixar.
Interesting. In what way? In the characters or the scenery? The Raya characters feel much more 3 dimensional/realistic and less "cartoony" than anything I've seen from Fox. It reminds me much more of Pixar.

Rambozo

Interesting. In what way? In the characters or the scenery? The Raya characters feel much more 3 dimensional/realistic and less "cartoony" than anything I've seen from Fox. It reminds me much more of Pixar.

To me, the characters look like they were done by another studio. I don't know why, maybe they're using different artists. But it doesn't feel like it's upto the usual Disney quality.

dimg
Epic_%282013_film%29_poster.jpg

Rambozo

I’d argue that the quality was a lot better than usual in the movie.
Did you watch it? I thought the movie was actually really really beautiful. It looks much better than the 2D poster.

I've seen the trailer and that's enough for me. It feels like Disney has been going away from their usual, better animation style lately (Raya, Onward, Luca). People will probably eat it up though because of the baby gags.

Cmdr_Crimson

I've seen the trailer and that's enough for me. It feels like Disney has been going away from their usual, better animation style lately (Raya, Onward, Luca). People will probably eat it up though because of the baby gags.
I kind of see where your going with. There is this distinct fluid animation movement where nothing has problems when movement is involved...Best comparison is this Clip from Ice Age Collision Course

Vs this Raya clip

Plus, it's also noting that this is not a animated musical film is also something..

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I've seen the trailer and that's enough for me.
Equivalent to judging a book by its title. I thought the same thing until I actually went to see it. Exceeded my expectations a LOT. It was a fantastic, beautiful, and deep movie. The corny gags don’t overshadow the engaging thought they put into the story.

There’s no sense in arguing with someone who hasn’t/will not see it, so I’ll leave it there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom