Rate/Critique my FP and Dining Plans for 5 Day Trip

DisneyDaver

For an adults only trip, I would not leave the park in the middle of the day to get lunch and then head back to the park after lunch (especially when you are leaving the park early to get to dinner outside of the park). For example, on your Day 3, I would grab lunch at Animal Kingdom. Walking to the park exit, waiting for a bus, taking the bus to AKL and then coming back to the park, entering through security, walking to your next attraction at the park, etc will waste a lot of time. My suggestion would be Bome for breakfast, lunch at AK and a later dinner at Jiko (if in your budget). I'd also have dinner at DHS on Day 2 so you will be there for Fantasmic! or the Star Wars fireworks. Out of park meals are great if you plan to take a mid-day break at your resort in addition to lunch, but otherwise, I don't think it's worth the time spent back and forth.

Others may have a different view than me, but I don't find the food at most WDW restaurants being worth a lot of traveling time (i.e. lost park time). You have a great breakfast at your resort in Boma. I would prefer to eat breakfast there more often and get to the parks earlier when they are less crowded, then traveling to the Poly or Wilderness Lodge for breakfast. But if trying other restaurants is a priority for you over doing more at the parks, then I don't see anything wrong with your plan ... it's a question of what your priorities for the trip are.

In terms of how long it takes from an out of park meal to get back to the park, it depends on where you are eating, which park you are going to, the speed at which you walk, and how long you have to wait for transportation. Maybe others will have a better idea of the exact time, but any time I leave a park and then come back, I find it costs me a lot of time and I don't think that it is worth it for just a lunch. There are some exceptions ... it isn't too hard to get from MK to Cali Grill and back since it's just a 10-15 minute walk from MK to the Contemporary. Your Day 2, however, going from AKL to Poly for breakfast, then going to DHS, then going back to Poly for dinner, and then heading back to a park or AKL will be a lot of traveling time.

In terms of FP+, why not any of the Toy Story Land rides at DHS instead of Indiana Jones? Also, why the extra day at AK instead of MK? MK has a lot more to do than AK and you could do FP+ for Big Thunder Mountain and Peter Pan.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For an adults only trip, I would not leave the park in the middle of the day to get lunch and then head back to the park after lunch (especially when you are leaving the park early to get to dinner outside of the park). For example, on your Day 3, I would grab lunch at Animal Kingdom. Walking to the park exit, waiting for a bus, taking the bus to AKL and then coming back to the park, entering through security, walking to your next attraction at the park, etc will waste a lot of time. My suggestion would be Bome for breakfast, lunch at AK and a later dinner at Jiko (if in your budget). I'd also have dinner at DHS on Day 2 so you will be there for Fantasmic! or the Star Wars fireworks. Out of park meals are great if you plan to take a mid-day break at your resort in addition to lunch, but otherwise, I don't think it's worth the time spent back and forth.

Others may have a different view than me, but I don't find the food at most WDW restaurants being worth a lot of traveling time (i.e. lost park time). You have a great breakfast at your resort in Boma. I would prefer to eat breakfast there more often and get to the parks earlier when they are less crowded, then traveling to the Poly or Wilderness Lodge for breakfast. But if trying other restaurants is a priority for you over doing more at the parks, then I don't see anything wrong with your plan ... it's a question of what your priorities for the trip are.

In terms of how long it takes from an out of park meal to get back to the park, it depends on where you are eating, which park you are going to, the speed at which you walk, and how long you have to wait for transportation. Maybe others will have a better idea of the exact time, but any time I leave a park and then come back, I find it costs me a lot of time and I don't think that it is worth it for just a lunch. There are some exceptions ... it isn't too hard to get from MK to Cali Grill and back since it's just a 10-15 minute walk from MK to the Contemporary. Your Day 2, however, going from AKL to Poly for breakfast, then going to DHS, then going back to Poly for dinner, and then heading back to a park or AKL will be a lot of traveling time.

In terms of FP+, why not any of the Toy Story Land rides at DHS instead of Indiana Jones? Also, why the extra day at AK instead of MK? MK has a lot more to do than AK and you could do FP+ for Big Thunder Mountain and Peter Pan.

In agreement with you. Breakfast, then to park, eat lunch in park, more park, then back to resort when finished with park for the day. The amount of time to leave a park during the day, return to your resort for a meal and then back to the park is 2 or 3 rides, time wise.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you so much, I didn't realize it was a far travel from Animal Kingdom to the lodge (we are using the busses). I guess I am used to DLR where everything is relatively close by. I will switch Animal Kingdom Jiko or Sanaa to dinner then instead of lunch. Would you recommend Jiko over Sanaa?

This is good to know, I really want the experience of trying new food based on other things I have read and Whispering Canyon seems like a must cause how funny it sounds. Any recommendations on when I should move this to? We definitely at the very least want Ohana and Whispering Canyon.

This is good to know, we wanted to try Kona Café Breakfast based on what we read but if it is a big hassle we will have to skip this one. Not sure if it's doable to go there and bank by park opening.

We are frequent DL visitors as we live in that area and have Midway Mania as well as Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, which the Space Spin is a clone of. The slinky coaster is a small kid's coaster I believe or is it supposed to be something better (not really in the loop on that one).

Based on your suggestion I will do MK the 5th day and if there is an attraction or two we want to revisit at AK we can always stop by. Thank you for your help. I'm going to post a revised schedule in a few to go along with your suggestions.

The issue with eating a meal in a resort you are not staying in is transportation. WDW buses don't run between resorts. So you either have to drive or take Uber/taxi/Minnie Van. Or do the bus from your resort to park closest to the resort you want to eat at and then park transportation to that resort shuffle. For you, staying at AKL, that would be bus to MK and then boat to WL. It's not like when I was staying at Paradise Pier in DLR and could walk across the street to the Grand Californian for breakfast. Which took 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Here are my revised plan. Thanks everyone again for the feedback. Excited as I get to make ADRs shortly! Please let me know if I should make any adjustments or if there are any recommendations. I am unsure of where to eat for breakfast and dinner day 5.

Revised
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 0:

(Arrive Afternoon)
D: Ohana or California Grill (depends on availability)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1:

Magic Kingdom

B: Cinderella's Table or Crystal Palace (depends on availability)
L: Casey's Corner/Columbia/Friar Nooks
D: Ohana or California Grill (depends on availability)

FP:
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Seven Dwarf's Mine Train

Day 2:

Hollywood Studios
B: Boma
L: Sci Fi Diner
D: Mama Melrose or Brown Derby

FP:
Rock N Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Indiana Jones

Day 3:

Animal Kingdom
B: Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
L: FameTree BBQ
D: Sanaa/Jiko

FP:
Expedition Everest
Safari

Day 4:

Epcot
B: Whispering Canyon Café (Wilderness Lodge)
L: Tangieringe Café/ San Angel Inn
D: Rose and Crown

FP:

Frozen
Mission Space
Spaceship Earth

Day 5:

Magic Kingdom

B: ?
L: Casey's Corner/Columbia/Friar Nooks
D:?

FP:
Big Thunder Mountain
PeterPan
Space Mountain

Day 6:
Checkout of Hotel
B: Kona Cafe

Depart midmorning
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will you have a rental car? If not, you'll be paying to get from AKL to WL to eat breakfast at Whispering Canyons, same for eating at Kona at Poly. If you are using MDE to get from the airport to WDW, you will need to check in at your resort several hours before your flight. Which means Kona will probably be out of the picture the morning of your departure.

If you drive, you will have to return to WL to pick up the car after the day in Epcot or drive and park there.

When we tell you getting around WDW isn't all that easy, especially now with all the construction, believe us. Frankly, I'd eat at your resort the morning of your departure.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Would Whispering Canyon be out of the question then? Would going to the Polynesian involve Bus to MK, and taking the monorail? In your opinion is this not worth the effort. Thank you for the help.

If you aren't renting a car or don't want to pay to get there, yes, that's your only option. And it may take at least an hour. You can either take the monorail or boat to Poly from MK, depending on time of day...and if the monorail is running.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you for the information. This is good to know, really appreciate it. Whispering Canyon I suppose would not be worth it unless staying closer to the site then? We were planning on using busses and MDE.

Thank you.

As I said, if you are willing to pay for a ride to get there for breakfast, then I'd do it. It's a great place to eat for breakfast.

What time is your flight home? MDE will pick you up about 3 hours before your departure, which may make breakfast anywhere other than your resort difficult.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
We are not. We really wanted to try the different options at the resort to get a taste for everything. Do any meals seem to close to eachother and should be spaced out more? Any recommendations.

Some of your choices, like Flame Tree, serve large portions. So consider that when selecting times for lunch and dinner.

Oh, I'd select breakfast at Crystal Palace over CRT. I've eaten breakfast twice at CRT, wasn't impressed.

Upvote 0

Disney Lover Addie

We are not. We really wanted to try the different options at the resort to get a taste for everything. Do any meals seem to close to eachother and should be spaced out more? Any recommendations.

Le Cellier at Epcot (Canada Pavilion). Excellent food, and excellent service.

Also if on “Day 0” you arrive in the afternoon try going to a park with evening EMH.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much food. Way, way, way, way, way too much food. I'm an XL individual (see: fat guy) and that's waaaaaaaaaaay too much food.

Also, sit-down breakfast every morning takes up a lot of park time. Your trip is already quite short and I'd limit myself to one sit-down meal per day at a maximum.

But seriously, way too much food. You're eating breakfasts, lunches, and dinners on the same day every day that all serve enormous portions.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Any QS breakfast recommendations for in the park? Is Boma the only breakfast in the hotel? We totally don't want to be stuffed the whole trip as there will be a lot of walking.
When we stay at DAKL, we get breakfast at The Mara, which is the resort's QS location. It's quite good whether you want something hot or just a muffin to go.

I do love Boma's breakfast (goat cheese and spinach scrambled eggs FTW), but you won't need lunch that day.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Whoah had no idea it was that much food, that's really good to know. Making an updated agenda now.
Boma, Ohana, Cinderella's, and Crystal Palace, are all all-you-care-to-enjoy.

Have revised my plans in the OP. Any dinner recommendations for MK (either QS or Table) for our last night in the parks? Thank you all so much.
I'd slide Ohana or Cali Grill to that night. It's a good "last night" thing, and going to either one on Day 0 is kind of a hassle. I would try to avoid going from resort-to-resort, as transportation isn't the best and the resort restaurants aren't that good where you're missing much if you just eat in the parks. Day 0 would be a good Disney Springs night.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Wow thank you had I had no idea. I will totally take your recommendation to do so for Day 0 and swapping that to Day 5. I have read good things about Raglan Road and TRex any recommendations? Once again thank you for all the help! You guys/gals rock!
Disney Springs has options for every taste and budget. If you're looking for an upscale meal, that would be STK or The Boathouse. Raglan Road is great for pub food and drinks. Blaze Pizza and The Polite Pig are fantastic "fast casual" options (cross between QS and TS).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom