News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Pixieish

The name of the ride in France translates to "Ratatouille: Remy's Totally Zany Adventure." The website/app/etc. just calls it "Ratatouille: The Adventure."

The full name sounds so dumb and wordy that nobody, not even Disney themselves, call it that. Most people just call it "the Ratatouille ride." This is why I could imagine marketing carrying the full name over to the US. Unless they demand more punctuation. "Ratatouille -- Remy's Totally Zany Mission: KITCHEN CALAMITY!"

I believe the French name includes a pun.

It definitely does not translate. A toque [blanche] is the hat worn by chefs. I don’t speak French so I don’t know if it actually works.

Actually, "toque" is a brimless hat for women. "Toquée", as it appears in the name of the ride in France, means "batty".

Google translate says the French name, "Ratatouille: L'Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy" means "Ratatouille: The Totally Toqué Adventure of Rémy", which isn't complete or correct. The literal word-by-word translation means "Ratatouille: The Adventure Totally Batty of Remy".

I took some French and have studied the English language (of which a stunning amount is derived from French to begin with), so here's a looser translation so it sounds better in English (which is what is usually done anyway because the word order in French is so different from English)...

"Ratatouille: The Batty Adventure of Remy", or even further Englishizing (totally made up word ;)) and making it more pleasing to the ears, "Ratatouille: Remy's Crazy Adventure".

I'm willing to bet that it ends up being Ratatouille: Remy's Crazy Adventure or something very similar.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ratatouille: The Batty Adventure of Remy", or even further Englishizing (totally made up word ;)) and making it more pleasing to the ears, "Ratatouille: Remy's Crazy Adventure".

I'm willing to bet that it ends up being Ratatouille: Remy's Crazy Adventure or something very similar.

Ratatouille: Remy's Spicy Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Dicey Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Searing Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Choppy Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Crock Pot Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Battering Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Nutty Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Flaky Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Half-Baked Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Dippy Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Kooky Adventure

Ratatouille: Remy's Adventure -- In a Stew

TiggerDad

They actually translate it as Remy's Zany Adventure, but we could go with Remy's California Adventure. Oh, wait, wrong park.

EricsBiscuit

In all fairness, neither during EPCOT Center, nor Eisner nor the past decade did the pavilions ever receive any attractions besides food and booze.
So? This is his opportunity to change all that. To be fair he is building an E in France and another attraction of some kind in UK. Still it needs an attraction. It's his opportunity to improve the park.

The Empress Lilly

Rats! Surely they can cook up some pun like this in the English title of the ride?

In French, the slogan of the ride includes another wordplay, 'à ne pas rater'. 'Not to be missed', 'rater' meaning to miss. 'Highly rated' could work in English, but loses the pun when pronounced instead of read.

And the most obvious wordplay is hiding in plain sight: Ratatouille. Which works perfectly in English.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Rats! Surely they can cook up some pun like this in the English title of the ride?

In French, the slogan of the ride includes another wordplay, 'à ne pas rater'. 'Not to be missed', 'rater' meaning to miss. 'Highly rated' could work in English, but loses the pun when pronounced instead of read.

And the most obvious wordplay is hiding in plain sight: Ratatouille. Which works perfectly in English.

Pretty sure that was intentional since the release of the movie.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
In all fairness, neither during EPCOT Center, nor Eisner nor the past decade did the pavilions ever receive any attractions besides food and booze.

So? This is his opportunity to change all that. To be fair he is building an E in France and another attraction of some kind in UK. Still it needs an attraction. It's his opportunity to improve the park.

I'm also on the 'to be fair' side... The Golden Age of Epcot had originally planned to put attractions other than movies in some of the national pavilions, but they were only able to do one in Mexico. If the people responsible for making Future World so perfect couldn't get more rides in WS, then one has to give the current administration a break, especially since they're putting two new rides in already. That's a 200% increase in WS rides!

Yeah, I don't think there's anyone who doesn't want more rides in WS, but as the previous posters have been hinting at: who's paying for it?

Not to mention all the space in FW that isn't drawing in large crowds. The wise business decision is to fix that first before adding new rides in new spots. Indeed, it's rather surprising, given that calculus, that they're building Ratatouille and the new UK rides at all.

BTW, anyone know who's paying for Ratatouille and the unnamed UK ride?

Last edited:

Bocabear

We are all paying for the new rides in tocket and resortwide price increases....and seriously, they can afford to build rides in their record profit making theme parks...this is not a government program...lol They need to add rides everywhere....which will in turn boost attendance, therefore more profit... the idea that they HAVE to have a sponsor to put a ride in is just ridiculous....

No Name

Fellas, they haven't added a new country to World Showcase with or without an attraction in close to 30 years. They haven't added a new ride in close to 30 years either. So if they even add a pavillion, never mind add one or two rides elsewhere in WS, they're doing a heckuvalot more than they've done over the past three decades.

I don't see the complaint.

I don't understand why Tom F is screwing over Epcot! First GotG now a pavilion with no attraction! Shameful.

He doesn't make nearly as many of the decisions as you think he does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom