News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Kman101

Not happy. Inevitable.

Every park will be a Magic Kingdom.

It's how you choose to look at it I guess. I don't think they're all becoming Magic Kingdoms. Why? Because attractions are based on established IPs? That shouldn't actually be a bad thing. The problem is how they execute them. (Also not saying I want all IP based attractions, either. I don't. But the intense dislike for IP sometimes is a bit much on here - and I resent the 'mandate' to only use IP too but it doesn't make me dislike IPs in general).

Last edited:

Kman101

We feel victim to this in January... but it was still faster than the regular line.

I've had no real issues. Not even at Cosmic Rays, when they make you wait outside in a line because the place is 'full'. I was let in because of mobile ordering and I was the only soul there for it. I guess it could have taken off in popularity making lines unberable (I haven't been to the parks in a few months) but I love mobile ordering.

What can't they handle?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's how you choose to look at it I guess. I don't think they're all becoming Magic Kingdoms. Why? Because attractions are based on established IPs? That shouldn't actually be a bad thing
It’s a bad thing in a park that was built on uniqueness. IP works where it fits. Not where it’s shoehorned.

Like I’ve said EPCOT Center is dead. Here comes the MK2.0.

Bender123

It’s a bad thing in a park that was built on uniqueness. IP works where it fits. Not where it’s shoehorned.

Complete agreement...I judge it based on where and how it fits.

Star Wars at the Studios? Fine...

Rat at France? Arguably one of the most influential animated films about France. Its fine.

Frozen? Nope nope nope...The setting is not Norway, no matter how "Norway" the setting looks. the visuals fit, but the story and location is all wrong.

Guardians? No...just no...Studios? Sure. Epcot? No way.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Last September I hit “I’m here” as I crossed the hub bridge to Teacups. I got to the counter with maybe half a dozen other phone holding guests.

Food came twenty minutes later. And it wasn’t the only time.
Conversely, every time I've used mobile ordering, my food has been right there when I've arrived.

To be fair, the system was pretty new last September. Perhaps they've gotten the kinks worked out.

EricPZ

Frozen? Nope nope nope...The setting is not Norway, no matter how "Norway" the setting looks. the visuals fit, but the story and location is all wrong.
Meh, the move is so damn popular they had to put something somewhere...the ride was already there, they just had to re-theme it. Not gonna lose sleep over this one.
Yeah, they had space they needed to do something with. They have popular IP they want to use. Not sold on it...but understand their logic.

Timothy_Q

Meh, the move is so damn popular they had to put something somewhere...the ride was already there, they just had to re-theme it. Not gonna lose sleep over this one.
Yeah, they had space they needed to do something with. They have popular IP they want to use. Not sold on it...but understand their logic.
You can make a lame excuse for any IP anywhere.

And that's what Disney does.
That why EPCOT is the mess that it is today

mikejs78

Premium Member
Complete agreement...I judge it based on where and how it fits.

Star Wars at the Studios? Fine...

Rat at France? Arguably one of the most influential animated films about France. Its fine.

IP is just a vehicle for telling a story. You can utilize ANY IP to conceivably fit them as theme and characters are separate. Imagine if you will:

* What if Frozen Ever After was different. Instead of being the ride it currently is, it's about Anna and Elsa leaving Arandale and visiting the neighboring land of Norway to learn about their customs and culture?
* What if GotG was about the Guardians teaching about the various forms of energy in the universe, and just used the characters to add a little fun, much like what Ellen was used for?

* Nemo was all about Marine life rather than "finding Nemo" again?

My point is that IP has very little to do with theme, and these things could plausibly be done to meet corporate mandates but still thematically fit into Epcot. Instead they often take the lazy way out.

shortstop

I do agree that EPCOT has lost it's way. However, I don't think anyone has issue with Nemo in The Sea.
Issue? Yes.

Not as big as if the pavilion had been shuttered though.
Maybe I’m being dramatic but I honestly think Nemo is one of the worst rides at WDW. Pointless and annoying retelling of the movie that doesn’t bring anything new to the table.

lazyboy97o

IP is just a vehicle for telling a story. You can utilize ANY IP to conceivably fit them as theme and characters are separate. Imagine if you will:

* What if Frozen Ever After was different. Instead of being the ride it currently is, it's about Anna and Elsa leaving Arandale and visiting the neighboring land of Norway to learn about their customs and culture?
* What if GotG was about the Guardians teaching about the various forms of energy in the universe, and just used the characters to add a little fun, much like what Ellen was used for?

* Nemo was all about Marine life rather than "finding Nemo" again?

My point is that IP has very little to do with theme, and these things could plausibly be done to meet corporate mandates but still thematically fit into Epcot. Instead they often take the lazy way out.
The whole problem with examples like yours is that they confuse the focus. The characters grafted onto the story would be just that, something unnecessary added on to the story. That contradicts the whole purpose of using pre-established characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom