Rare moment of sincerity

SteveUK

Original Poster
I've just been packing my suitcase for my 2 week trip starting this weekend, and as I was sorting out what I would need, I started to think how self-absorbed I had become. Here I am worrying about how many shirts I would need, how many pairs of shoes I should pack etc. I couldn't help stopping and wondering for a moment how many people have nowhere to sleep tonight. There are people in hospital with families thinking of nothing else. There are children out there who don't even know if they will be fed tomorrow, to whom a trip to WDW is not even a distant dream.

I just thought maybe some of you would like to join me in taking a moment to think about some of those people, and just remember how lucky we are when we can find nothing better to worry and moan about than when a ride will be closing, or how long the lines will be next week.

bbrerrabbit

That is a very nice thought. However, please do not let it get you down.
Packing is exciting and you should enjoy every moment.
In this crazy world, sometimes it doesn't hurt to be self centered just to keep your sanity.
Maybe I sound cynical, but no matter how little or how much we have, there will always be someone who is less fortunate. We just need to do our part to help and then go on with life.
Wow - this is too deep for a WDW fun site!!!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It's always important to celebrate our blessings and temper our good fortune with charity for those less fortunate.

The fact that you posted your thoughts in this regard leads me to believe this sincerity isn't so "rare"! :sohappy:

Cole'sMom

I think of this often. I have been fortunate throughout my life to have a beautiful family, wonderful friends and I was provided for until I graduated from college. I am watching American Idol currently and it makes me so sad to think of the amount of things that are wasted by me on a yearly basis. Clothes are my biggest problem. The less-fortunate would love to have a shirt that "doesn't look right" or whatever. I do donate clothes and things yearly to Purple Heart since I am in the process of losing weight and many of my clothes are gently used. I know I am doing my part, but it still makes me feel bad that it has to ever come to this.

Kristi Kay

I'm so glad you posted something on this.

My sister just got back from a missions trip in Armenia where she did volunteer work at an orphanage. The kids didn't know if they were going to eat everyday, they didn't even have beds to sleep on or their own toothbrushes. After I saw the pictures of her trip, I think about this often. How selfish I am when thoughts of going back to Disney or Backpacking Europe consume many of my thoughs....

I have been activly working toward saving some of my money to help some of these children instead of spending all my money on my travels...

Erika

I've just been packing my suitcase for my 2 week trip starting this weekend, and as I was sorting out what I would need, I started to think how self-absorbed I had become. Here I am worrying about how many shirts I would need, how many pairs of shoes I should pack etc. I couldn't help stopping and wondering for a moment how many people have nowhere to sleep tonight. There are people in hospital with families thinking of nothing else. There are children out there who don't even know if they will be fed tomorrow, to whom a trip to WDW is not even a distant dream.

I just thought maybe some of you would like to join me in taking a moment to think about some of those people, and just remember how lucky we are when we can find nothing better to worry and moan about than when a ride will be closing, or how long the lines will be next week.

Thank you for a much needed wake up call :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom