"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

I notice they are quietly raising the price for length of stay...again.

I am pleased that they work at any resort and that I will no longer see Dixie Landings mugs at Pop Century.

Have the mugs always been non-microwaveable? Oops.

Finally, I hope this means we'll get a new design finally. I'd be a bit peeved if I have to get the same strange pool picture "Let's pick on Goofy because he's special" motif that I have bought twice since January 2012...

No they were microwaveable but now the have RFID chips in them so if you microwave them it will fry the chip

gjpjtj

This actually just happened to us with a paper cup. (The fountain was dispensing warm soda.) The manager on duty has a card that will reactivate the refill for you but only if there is a problem with the soda (flat, warm, syrup out). If you pour something then change your mind, you're stuck. Since I had the manager there I asked her a lot of questions.

The refill interval time for mugs and cups is 2 min. 30 sec. The refill policy is the same for both adult and child size cups. Four fills and she said the screen says within one hour but it is actually two. Now when people request a cup for water it is white with the Coke logo on it. We sat at the first table by the drink fountains tonight for dinner and I must say I did see people being turned away for not using the correct mugs. Don't know how long that will last though. (Someone actually tried to fill a Polar Pop cup with coffee!:confused: They didn't succeed.)

I love the idea of sitting by the soda machines and watching free loaders get turned away! Going to enjoy this next week!:happy:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
Only 100 quid pp more for the same holiday 2 years later :cautious:
I want to know where you are getting your astounding deals Mr Hatter as the park ticket price increase alone swallows up 30 pounds pp and i have a hard time believing that the air fairs and room pricing only went up by 35 quid in 2 years :jawdrop::jawdrop:
On a side note DDP just doesnt justify for me as we eat a lot off property (days @ uni/sw etc)
I'm not sure why you are arguing with Hatter. He should know if he saved money or not.

If he says he saves money on "Free Dining", then I believe him. Why - because he is my best friend, and I know him so well?

No. Because lots of people claim to save money with Free Dining. Myself included. And I don't feel compelled to order the most expensive menu item just to maximize the value, either. For some of us, it just works!
(No offence Hatter, I'm sure we would be best mates if we ever met).

For four people (even three), you will probably save money staying at a Value Resort paying rack rate for the room with FD versus a 30% room discount and paying OOP for meals and snacks.

I get your point that "Free Dining" isn't free. But if someone says it saves them money, it probably does. Otherwise, they would skip it, take a room discount and pay OOP for food.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

I'm ok with this. Two minutes is more than enough times between refills. And well... if you can shug that much soda in less than 2 minutes you've got a problem :p

I use the DDP for every trip, my mug will already be paid for by the time I get there. I see no problem with the system really and I for one am glad Disney is doing something about the abuse.

I have a problem:hungry:

jaklgreen

I have a bunch of the wide mugs from several resorts - I think Old Key West, Dixie Landings (before it was renamed Riverside), and maybe Caribbean Beach. They were length of stay mugs for that resort. I never saw them sold as "Free Refills for Life."
When we first started going in 1996, we stayed at the Contemporary the first few times(much cheaper back then). And that is when they were selling the refills for life. There were signs by the cups and cast members "reminded" us about that when they were purchased. It is not a myth, many people remember this, if you were not staying in the time frame they were featuring this does not mean it did not exist.

GrumpyFan

I love it too my only issue is on some hot days I can quite easily drink a full mug in seconds and want more
Suggestion: Start with a cup of water, which I believe have no time limit between fills, then get a cup of soda and while you're waiting for the two minutes to pass to refill the soda, get another cup of water. Your body will like that better than pure soda anyway.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Suggestion: Start with a cup of water, which I believe have no time limit between fills, then get a cup of soda and while you're waiting for the two minutes to pass to refill the soda, get another cup of water. Your body will like that better than pure soda anyway.
Of course, not so much fun when you're doing the pee-pee dance in the 45 min Stand-by queue at Space Mountain an hour or so later.

pax_65

When we first started going in 1996, we stayed at the Contemporary the first few times(much cheaper back then). And that is when they were selling the refills for life. There were signs by the cups and cast members "reminded" us about that when they were purchased. It is not a myth, many people remember this, if you were not staying in the time frame they were featuring this does not mean it did not exist.

My first trip to WDW was in 1991. From '94-'01 or so (before my daughter went to kindergarten), we took two long trips to WDW every year. In order to finance those trips, we took advantage of every benefit we could find - DVC membership, AP, "Magic Kingdom Club", "Food & Fun" - predecessor to the Dining Plan... we knew how to milk every penny out of that sucker :). If we had seen a "FREE Refill For Life" Offer we would have been ALL OVER IT - and raising hell right now, defiantly marching into WDW with our 1996 wide cups. But alas, we never saw any such offer. I confirmed with my wife and mother-in-law, who actively sought out such deals. We did not stay at the Contemporary during this time. Maybe it was only offered at Deluxe Resorts? I Googled it for details but couldn't find anything.

In any case, if you were indeed offered that, I would definitely complain to Disney about it. I'm curious to hear the outcome.

Goofyernmost

My first trip to WDW was in 1991. From '94-'01 or so (before my daughter went to kindergarten), we took two long trips to WDW every year. In order to finance those trips, we took advantage of every benefit we could find - DVC membership, AP, "Magic Kingdom Club", "Food & Fun" - predecessor to the Dining Plan... we knew how to milk every penny out of that sucker :). If we had seen a "FREE Refill For Life" Offer we would have been ALL OVER IT - and raising hell right now, defiantly marching into WDW with our 1996 wide cups. But alas, we never saw any such offer. I confirmed with my wife and mother-in-law, who actively sought out such deals. We did not stay at the Contemporary during this time. Maybe it was only offered at Deluxe Resorts? I Googled it for details but couldn't find anything.

In any case, if you were indeed offered that, I would definitely complain to Disney about it. I'm curious to hear the outcome.
The outcome is that they are a private company and can change there mind anytime they want. IF they did offer the forever and a day free soda at some point they can stop it. Your option, complain, wave your arms in the air, make a scene, yell at CM's that weren't even born yet when this "deal" was offered or realize that you got a good deal while it lasted. OR you can take them to court over a $12.00 plastic cup without a written contract saying that no matter what...you will always get a lifetime of free soda for a measly 12 bucks...just your word, pay thousands of dollars in legal fee and still not get the free soda. There comes a point in time when it's a lost cause and accepting that nothing is the same as it was 10 years ago is the better part of intelligence.

It is telling that there is no documentation available that this ever even existed. If it did I would think that it would be confined to whatever resort you bought the mug from anyway.

Bobster

The outcome is that they are a private company and can change there mind anytime they want. IF they did offer the forever and a day free soda at some point they can stop it. Your option, complain, wave your arms in the air, make a scene, yell at CM's that weren't even born yet when this "deal" was offered or realize that you got a good deal while it lasted. OR you can take them to court over a $12.00 plastic cup without a written contract saying that no matter what...you will always get a lifetime of free soda for a measly 12 bucks...just your word, pay thousands of dollars in legal fee and still not get the free soda. There comes a point in time when it's a lost cause and accepting that nothing is the same as it was 10 years ago is the better part of intelligence.

It is telling that there is no documentation available that this ever even existed. If it did I would think that it would be confined to whatever resort you bought the mug from anyway.
I can't speak for Deluxe Resorts... but this mug for life was offered at the All-Star Sports when we visited the year it opened.

Goofyernmost

I can't speak for Deluxe Resorts... but this mug for life was offered at the All-Star Sports when we visited the year it opened.
OK, I'll take your word for it. If you still have that mug available then you should be able to take it with you and negotiate with Disney for a current equivalent. Someone with one of those mugs really is not the problem. The problem is all the subsequent mug purchasers that feel that every mug purchase since then has that same perk attached to it.

I'm not saying either that it would be a given that Disney would just say OK we will code your mug to last forever because most, if not all, of the Cast Members from that era would probably moved on since then. There would still have to be some form of proof that the mug was indeed one that came with that promise. So, it is likely that Disney would just bite the bullet and refuse to honor it. The numbers would be small and the ability to find anyone that cared enough to fight for you, would be very limited. Another of the many disappointing facts of life. Now if someone paid $5000.00 for that mug...they might find some support, but, this is a lost cause. In any case, I'm sure that they got more then their moneys worth from it, over the years.

G00fyDad

The problem is all the subsequent mug purchasers that feel that every mug purchase since then has that same perk attached to it.

I see your point, but for me that itself is not even an issue. My problem with this is the people who bring in milk jugs, 2-liter bottles, gas station cups, etc... and fill those up. The entire time they are doing it they are staring down any one (including CMs) that look at them wrong. My daughter works at a local fast food place near here and the manager just trespassed a man and woman who were constantly coming in and filling up a cup from home and leaving. :facepalm: The manager told them to leave and not come back or the police would be called. These two geniuses decided to call the bluff and told the manager to go ahead and call the police now because they were not going to leave now. He did and the couple were given a citation to appear in court to explain to the judge why they felt the need to constantly steal the soft drinks. Now they will have to pay for court costs (Likely just $50) and an unspecified amount for the soft drinks they have been taking. Nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom