(Rant to no one) I think Disney has an epic problem...

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
...in that everything now has to be epic whether it is a new movie, new parade (I'm looking at you new & very weird Magic Happens), new ride, etc.

Someone needs to let them know that just because it is "epic" doesn't automatically make it great.

This may in fact may not be a recent trend, or it is just something I've noticed getting older. Who knows.

But Disney, come on. Remember what it was like to do things from the heart and give something depth?

Stop worrying about trending. Trends change very very fast, and you Disney used to be totally your own thing and style. Now?

Eh....

----

Feel free to comment (maybe no bashing or too much hate at least?) your thoughts on today's Disney. To you it might be fantastic, but I've seen a change in the Disney parks, movies, shows and other things that I don't really like.

JoeCamel

Um, I think "Epic" is Universal's gig for the next few years

tpu.jpg

Photo Credit to TPU
And

I think that sews up the epic label for now.

Oddysey

...in that everything now has to be epic whether it is a new movie, new parade (I'm looking at you new & very weird Magic Happens), new ride, etc.

Someone needs to let them know that just because it is "epic" doesn't automatically make it great.

This may in fact may not be a recent trend, or it is just something I've noticed getting older. Who knows.

But Disney, come on. Remember what it was like to do things from the heart and give something depth?

Stop worrying about trending. Trends change very very fast, and you Disney used to be totally your own thing and style. Now?

Eh....

----

Feel free to comment (maybe no bashing or too much hate at least?) your thoughts on today's Disney. To you it might be fantastic, but I've seen a change in the Disney parks, movies, shows and other things that I don't really like.

No offense but can you be more specific? Maybe some examples?

Goofyernmost

If you're not using terms like "epic" to sell to your audience, what ARE you using? "Hey guys, come try out this pretty neat ride we just installed!!"

Doesnt have the same ring to it.
One of the problems is that people tend to not care about factual information in everything except a theme park based on fantasy. That must be by the letter. If Disney's PR decides to use the word epic in their promotions, it by god, better be epic in size, reaction and experience. That we put to a high standard, every thing else in life is, well, blah, blah, blah!

Remember the promotion for the mine train that people spent all kinds of hours complaining that the thing doesn't go that fast and why are they trying to tell us it does, etc., etc. Or that occasionally, in a promotion there was a split second that flashed a picture on that was Disneyland instead of WDW. Picky little things because they don't seem to understand self promotion and the process. They are probably the same people that still insist on using e-tickets, d-tickets and so on, even though that actual thing no longer exists. I guess a place like Disney is one of our only experiences where we can demand perfection and if we don't get it, we can complain and continue on with life, unscathed.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
No offense but can you be more specific? Maybe some examples?
No offense taken. Like a few that come to mind when I think epic is the movie industry and all of the real life action film remakes of the animated classics. Don’t get me wrong, I like some of them but it just seems they need to be more grand and give us all more eye candy than necessary.

MrConbon

No offense taken. Like a few that come to mind when I think epic is the movie industry and all of the real life action film remakes of the animated classics. Don’t get me wrong, I like some of them but it just seems they need to be more grand and give us all more eye candy than necessary.

Can you think of something park related since this is the page dedicated to the theme parks?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Can you think of something park related since this is the page dedicated to the theme parks?
Galaxy’s Edge and not so much the park itself but all of the advertisements leading up to it. You couldn’t really click on a YouTube video without getting a Galaxy’s Edge as with everything being over the top; the new DL parade and again they had the artwork promotion and IMHO was not that great; all this has me scared for EPCOT’s future.

MrConbon

Galaxy’s Edge and not so much the park itself but all of the advertisements leading up to it. You couldn’t really click on a YouTube video without getting a Galaxy’s Edge as with everything being over the top; the new DL parade and again they had the artwork promotion and IMHO was not that great; all this has me scared for EPCOT’s future.

Do you expect Disney to not aggressively advertise their brand new expansion? I don’t see how they overhyped the parade. They revealed some concept art of the floats and they were all pretty accurate to what we got in the final product.

Walt Disney1955

Sometimes less is more, this is true. There is a reason Peter Pan has been around since 1971 (1955 if you count Disneyland, which I do) and is still insanely popular and has longer lines than almost anything. It is simple but nostalgic and different in its own way. Little Mermaid was a good new ride a few years back that I think brought back the "Disney" in its rides. It told the story of the movie, it had animatronics do the work for them and not screens and it felt like something that would have been an original ride back in the day if the movie had existed then.

Disney isn't Universal. Hey, I love Universal but there is way too much of a "flavour of the month" thing there. Disney is more timeless. Universal could be too if they let themselves, they've been around forever too, but they have no problem getting rid of Jaws to for a new project. Disney has always been the best at building AROUND its core, rather than replacing it. This is why it will always be #1 in theme parks and not even Universal can touch it in attendance.

MrConbon

Sometimes less is more, this is true. There is a reason Peter Pan has been around since 1971 (1955 if you count Disneyland, which I do) and is still insanely popular and has longer lines than almost anything. It is simple but nostalgic and different in its own way. Little Mermaid was a good new ride a few years back that I think brought back the "Disney" in its rides. It told the story of the movie, it had animatronics do the work for them and not screens and it felt like something that would have been an original ride back in the day if the movie had existed then.

Disney isn't Universal. Hey, I love Universal but there is way too much of a "flavour of the month" thing there. Disney is more timeless. Universal could be too if they let themselves, they've been around forever too, but they have no problem getting rid of Jaws to for a new project. Disney has always been the best at building AROUND its core, rather than replacing it. This is why it will always be #1 in theme parks and not even Universal can touch it in attendance.
Universal was in a position where they couldn’t have built around its core. It’s heavily landlocked so the only way to build a new attraction is to close a previous one. Now that they have the new plot of land I expect rides to hang around longer.

Walt Disney1955

Universal was in a position where they couldn’t have built around its core. It’s heavily landlocked so the only way to build a new attraction is to close a previous one. Now that they have the new plot of land I expect rides to hang around longer.

I agree, they lacked land. But that wasn`t Disney`s problem, and this is why they benefitted from it and still do to this day.

MrConbon

I agree, they lacked land. But that wasn`t Disney`s problem, and this is why they benefitted from it and still do to this day.

I agree but Universal is gonna be competing pretty heavily in the upcoming years. Their attendance levels are already near and passing Disney in some parks. With Epic Universe it seems they are ready to be a multi day resort destination.

Walt Disney1955

I agree but Universal is gonna be competing pretty heavily in the upcoming years. Their attendance levels are already near and passing Disney in some parks. With Epic Universe it seems they are ready to be a multi day resort destination.

They already are. You could spend a minumum of two days there already and that doesn't even include Volcano Bay. Basically three days and you can see it all. That's multi-day right there. It just doesn't have the same history, mystique, attention to detail, atmosphere or nostalgic nature as Disney.

There is still quite some separation in attendance for 2018:

Magic Kingdom 20.8 million
Animal Kingdom 13.7
Epcot 12.4
Hollywood Studios 11.2
Universal Studios 10.7
Islands of Adventure 9.7

Still some gaps in there. Plus, Universal Studios and Magic Kingdom both jumped up around 400,000-500,000 people each from 2017 to 2018. I don't know, didn't they worry about this same thing in 2010? I love Universal a lot, more than a lot of my fellow WDWmagic posters might (some haven't been for some strange reason) but it just isn't the Disney experience.

Typhoon and Blizzard were 2.2 and 2.0 each with Volcano Bay being 1.7.

The key here is the Magic Kingdom. It is the big kahuna and the standard in Florida. People visit that park and then the three others quite often. Universal can't match that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom