Rank the Disney parks you have attended from best to "least"

Animaniac93-98

And a Jungle Cruise and Small World.
But your point is taken. As for sheer attractions it's weak. But its atmosphere, customer service and foods rip MK a new one.

HKDL also has some good parades and shows like Mickey and the Wondrous Book and the new Villain one they had for Halloween where Festival of the Lion King is normally done.

During Halloween they also have a Nightmare Before Christmas maze that’s neat.

Like other Disney parks there are things to do besides rides.

manmythlegend

HKDL also has some good parades and shows like Mickey and the Wondrous Book and the new Villain one they had for Halloween where Festival of the Lion King is normally done.

During Halloween they also have a Nightmare Before Christmas maze that’s neat.

Like other Disney parks there are things to do besides rides.

That's fair. I'm not a parade guy at all but I understand that others are.

bryanfze55

Depends on what you're looking for. I like my rides to have a bit of adrenaline to them. Does Disney have any boat rides that have adrenaline? Kali River Rapids maybe but that's nothing spectacular.

Grizzly River Run in Disneyland is more thrilling than Kali... but ultimately if you want thrills, Disney is probably a waste of money

manmythlegend

Grizzly River Run in Disneyland is more thrilling than Kali... but ultimately if you want thrills, Disney is probably a waste of money

Well I don't need massive thrills to the max but I certainly want there to be a bit of that. Tron is close to perfection in my eyes. EE is awesome. FOP is awesome (from what I've heard). Splash and Big Thunder are fun. Disney is capable of building awesome rides. I'm just not a huge fan of boat rides outside of Pirates Shanghai. I will ride them but I'm not overjoyed about them. I think if you're building a new land and 3/4 rides are boat rides, the imagineers probably need to try a bit harder.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
1989 Epcot
1989 MK
1996ish MK
1996ish HS
1996ish Epcot
Current MK
Current HS
Current AK
Current Epcot

PiratesMansion

Well I don't need massive thrills to the max but I certainly want there to be a bit of that. Tron is close to perfection in my eyes. EE is awesome. FOP is awesome (from what I've heard). Splash and Big Thunder are fun. Disney is capable of building awesome rides. I'm just not a huge fan of boat rides outside of Pirates Shanghai. I will ride them but I'm not overjoyed about them. I think if you're building a new land and 3/4 rides are boat rides, the imagineers probably need to try a bit harder.

On the contrary, I could do with fewer simulators and MORE boat rides, which they haven't built in large numbers for some time.

IMO if anyone goes to Disney anywhere and just wants rides rides RIDES and THRILL RIDES TO THE MAX and don't care about atmosphere, they'd be better off with literally any other theme park company.

bryanfze55

The nice thing about boat rides is they are generally long rides. You get a lot of bang for your buck, per se.

Magic Kingdom’s last “big” addition was a two minute coaster, and the next “big” addition will be a one minute coaster. They need to be building more high capacity, lengthy rides... think Pirates, Small World, Living with the Land...

PiratesMansion

The nice thing about boat rides is they are generally long rides. You get a lot of bang for your buck, per se.

Magic Kingdom’s last “big” addition was a two minute coaster, and the next “big” addition will be a one minute coaster. They need to be building more high capacity, lengthy rides... think Pirates, Small World, Living with the Land...

Exactly. What Disney needs are rides that can move people, that don't have height requirements, that can give you a ride that's of a decent length so you feel like you were justified for standing in that line in the humidity for an hour. Add to that growing crowds with an ever-increasing percentage of "unusual body proportions" country-wide, and Imagineering increasingly having no idea how to design with the capacity needs in mind, boat rides seem a comparatively a wise investment vs yet another coaster or simulator.

manmythlegend

Pirates is in a league of it's own when it comes to boat rides. Living with the land sucks, no offense. I can't understand why anyone short of being 70+ and needing to sit for a while would want to go on that ride. Small World is okay I guess but I typically just do that once on a trip. Maelstrom was a huge winner but of course Disney took that one out strangely.

Again, maybe I'm doing a poor job of communicating, it's not that I'm COMPLETELY against boat rides. I just think if you're building a land with 4 new rides and 3 of them involve boats, that's overkill.

By the way, what's the next "big" addition you are referring to? If you're referring to Tron, that's going to be the most popular ride in all of MK starting on Day 1, and it won't even be close.

On the contrary, I could do with fewer simulators and MORE boat rides, which they haven't built in large numbers for some time.

IMO if anyone goes to Disney anywhere and just wants rides rides RIDES and THRILL RIDES TO THE MAX and don't care about atmosphere, they'd be better off with literally any other theme park company.

I'm not a huge simulator person either. The only one I named in my list was FOP which has the longest wait times in all of Disney World after ROTR. And again, I don't need or want "THRILL RIDES TO THE MAX." But yes, I do want some thrills.

bryanfze55

Pirates is in a league of it's own when it comes to boat rides. Living with the land sucks, no offense. I can't understand why anyone short of being 70+ and needing to sit for a while would want to go on that ride. Small World is okay I guess but I typically just do that once on a trip. Maelstrom was a huge winner but of course Disney took that one out strangely.

Again, maybe I'm doing a poor job of communicating, it's not that I'm COMPLETELY against boat rides. I just think if you're building a land with 4 new rides and 3 of them involve boats, that's overkill.

By the way, what's the next "big" addition you are referring to? If you're referring to Tron, that's going to be the most popular ride in all of MK starting on Day 1, and it won't even be close.

I'm not a huge simulator person either. The only one I named in my list was FOP which has the longest wait times in all of Disney World after ROTR. And again, I don't need or want "THRILL RIDES TO THE MAX." But yes, I do want some thrills.

Yes, I was referring to Tron. I don’t doubt it will be immensely popular... I’m sure it will consistently have 3 hour lines all day, even though the ride really only has any aesthetic value at night. During the day, it’s just a one minute coaster.

Disney knows what size crowds they get at Magic Kingdom. They should be building more high capacity family dark rides. I’m not saying don’t build things like Tron or 7DMT, but they need to balance that. They have the space to build a few more dark rides.

It’s just odd that MK is branded as the ultimate “family park,” and yet Disney is making it very difficult to enjoy the park with young children in tow. Disneyland is a breeze because of all the B/C/D ticket attractions it has. And while most of those were built some time ago, Disneyland management is much more cognizant of the need for capacity than WDW management... which is why Disneyland is getting Runaway Railway without losing a ride (unlike what happened in DHS). Keep in mind, this is a park that has like 35 rides and they aren’t losing any of them for RR. Just another solid family dark ride in a park with over a dozen of them.

manmythlegend

Yes, I was referring to Tron. I don’t doubt it will be immensely popular... I’m sure it will consistently have 3 hour lines all day, even though the ride really only has any aesthetic value at night. During the day, it’s just a one minute coaster.

Disney knows what size crowds they get at Magic Kingdom. They should be building more high capacity family dark rides. I’m not saying don’t build things like Tron or 7DMT, but they need to balance that. They have the space to build a few more dark rides.

It’s just odd that MK is branded as the ultimate “family park,” and yet Disney is making it very difficult to enjoy the park with young children in tow. Disneyland is a breeze because of all the B/C/D ticket attractions it has. And while most of those were built some time ago, Disneyland management is much more cognizant of the need for capacity than WDW management... which is why Disneyland is getting Runaway Railway without losing a ride (unlike what happened in DHS). Keep in mind, this is a park that has like 35 rides and they aren’t losing any of them for RR. Just another solid family dark ride in a park with over a dozen of them.

I haven't counted the rides at MK but a lot of them are for small kids.

Fox&Hound

Exactly. What Disney needs are rides that can move people, that don't have height requirements, that can give you a ride that's of a decent length so you feel like you were justified for standing in that line in the humidity for an hour. Add to that growing crowds with an ever-increasing percentage of "unusual body proportions" country-wide, and Imagineering increasingly having no idea how to design with the capacity needs in mind, boat rides seem a comparatively a wise investment vs yet another coaster or simulator.

What about Mermaid? That is a huge people-eater that is a decent time. But people poo all over that. I think Disney does more than one minute rides but I understand what you mean. I think Disney would be wise to build more C and D ticket smaller rides to help disperse crowds.

PiratesMansion

What about Mermaid? That is a huge people-eater that is a decent time. But people poo all over that. I think Disney does more than one minute rides but I understand what you mean. I think Disney would be wise to build more C and D ticket smaller rides to help disperse crowds.

Disperse the crowds and balance the offerings, yes. As much as people just want E-ticket E ticket E-ticket, the best approach is to have a variety of experiences at different scales. And frankly I think Disney's lost sight of that, because all of the older parks offer a more balanced roster of experiences than the newer ones.

While Omnimovers are also helpful, I think ultimately they are less effective than boat rides for the needs of today because they don't account for the very real need to accommodate people who need more time to board. Getting through Haunted Mansion without stopping at all during the ride is now noteworthy for this reason. If someone needs more time boarding a boat, it can cause backups, but it doesn't stop everyone on the ride.

PiratesMansion

If Disney were to build a boat ride like Universal's Jurassic Park, I'd be 100% on board.

I don't think you understand Disney's demographics. They're never gonna be thrill ride mavericks, literally every other theme park chain has that market covered. If you just want thrill rides with your theming and that's your main priority, you're better off going to Universal or Busch Gardens.

Also, they already have a better one called Splash Mountain.

manmythlegend

I don't think you understand Disney's demographics. They're never gonna be thrill ride mavericks, literally every other theme park chain has that market covered. If you just want thrill rides with your theming and that's your main priority, you're better off going to Universal or Busch Gardens.

Also, they already have a better one called Splash Mountain.

I've been to Disney World 20+ times as well as all the Disney parks in the world, I'm aware of the demographics. You seem to be against the building of any new thrill rides. There is more than enough space for all types of rides including thrill rides and some dark slow rides for parents to take their little ones on.

Sure, they have one, Splash Mountain. They need more. Where we disagree is on the ratio of slow to fast rides. If you tell me what ratio you think would be appropriate, we could discuss that.

PiratesMansion

I've been to Disney World 20+ times as well as all the Disney parks in the world, I'm aware of the demographics. You seem to be against the building of any new thrill rides. There is more than enough space for all types of rides including thrill rides and some dark slow rides for parents to take their little ones on.

Sure, they have one, Splash Mountain. They need more. Where we disagree is on the ratio of slow to fast rides. If you tell me what ratio you think would be appropriate, we could discuss that.

For the record, I'm also a coaster enthusiast and travel to around 20 parks a year, Disney or otherwise. I have nothing against thrill rides, and would take more of them, sure, but simply stating facts that Disney has a different demographic. There will always be thrill rides, but they're never going to build an Incredible Hulk or a Mako. If a good chunk of your audience thinks that Incredicoaster is pretty extreme, maybe too extreme for their liking, they're not just going to throw up thrill rides all the time with abandon.

What they need more of are things everyone can do, regardless of age or size, that can move people decently. If that's a thrill ride, great. But there are lots of other options.

What I'm seeing from your posts is a ride focused mentality and constantly talking about wanting more thrill rides when, as I've said, that's not Disney's main bag and will never be. Hence my responses. Disney is not going to suddenly turn themselves into Busch Gardens or Cedar Point. That's not what they do, and for someone who's been to every Disney park, it's not coming across that you totally grasp that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom