Random observations from an evening at DLP

Absimilliard

Original Poster
I somehow ended up at Disneyland Paris last weekend and I spent a very interesting sunday evening at both parks when my travel plans changed. I went to Liseberg and on the way back, I flew back through Paris and had a free day. No formal trip report, but I will write some observations.

- Hyperspace Mountain is forgettable and pointless in its current shape.... but the thing is filled with potential. The combo of screens that were installed along with the various sets and props that were hidden will make the return of De la Terre a la Lune an amazing experience.

- The new Vekoma MK-1212 trains that run on Space Mountain improve the ride and make it rideable for everyone. The audio is also better and it is very comfortable. One interesting upgrade was that the old mechanical release was replaced by an electric bus bar and the cast members can now individually release each restraint. Position sensors for the restraints were also installed, but at 6'3, 270 lbs, it was a non factor and I'd be curious to see anyone turned away from riding.

imag0478.jpg

Example of the MK-1212 restraint and seat.

- Speaking of trains, Rock n Roller Coaster was running quite rough.

- Indiana Jones coaster smoothest part by far was the new loop that was installed in 2014. Its much better engineered and smoother all around.

- Except for the swinging pirate on Pirates, all the show effects were running well. Even the elusive gas torches at Indiana Jones were running!

- Pirates refurb is incredible and unlike the new scenes in DL and WDW, the story here blends in seamlessly with the rest of the ride. It feels like it was always there and a lot more natural than the forced "get them drunk" lines the redhead say in the States.

- Tower of Terror is behind cover and it is the result of a lawsuit that DLP won against the company that did the surface of the Tower. It was falling apart prematurely and this refurb is fully paid by the faulty contractor.

To conclude, the parks were oddly dead for a beautiful sunday in September...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom