Raising prices yet again!!!! enough is enough!

bigrigross

1. Disney priced vacations in that time frame so that guests would spend their FL vacation entirely at WDW, as opposed to going to Universal, Busch Gardens, Cape Canaveral, and most especially so they wouldn't eat offsite. Just for a start: that was the era of aggressive DDP pricing.

2. Did you read my post? Because you appear to have missed about 3/4 of what I said, including the part where I said, "it IS possible to spend more money" going to a place other than WDW.

3. Personally, I'll take farm fresh broccoli over a rotten apple any day, but that also has nothing to do with my post. I've visited quite a few amazing destinations that cost - me personally - less than I spend on week at WDW. Please don't blame me if you haven't taken the time to look for better options. I don't even know you.

Im not talking about the DDP plan. I am talking about where free dining and the aggressive pricing during the recession and why it occurred. Just in the first year of the recession, Disney's profits tanked 26%. Pricing stayed stable while aggressive discounts were offered. In fact, pricing stayed stagnant during the recession. You fail to understand the economy and what it does with pricing. Nothing got more expensive during the recession because no one had spare money to spend. Disney is a luxury expense and people were too worried about their excessively high interest rates on their house and cars and also mass amounts of people being laid off their work. We are in the best economy in years. That means more people have disposable income and luxury purchases are being more common. Their is a reason Disney is building mass amounts of hotels. Because the economy supports it. Pricing is going up because their are no "slow" times anymore and because Disney can raise prices without any push back.

Also, again, you fail to understand. I dont care if you have fun in the middle of Montana staying at a cabin for 150 a night. That wasnt my point. I enjoy going to Tennessee. Nothing but woods up in the mountains and hiking in national parks there. Its a cheap vacation but I absolutely love it. My point was, you need to compare with other highly sought after vacation spots if you want to compare cost. Trust me , Disney isnt all that expensive when you compare it to other vacations around the country. Food pricing is on point with those other locations. In fact, the signature restaurants are on average, the same cost as a higher end restaurant anywhere else (Ignore Hawaii,and Alaska).

MickeyLuv'r

I won't repeat it a third time, but again I say you missed the point of my post.

Your enthusiasm on this topic is a bit misplaced.

My point was, you need to compare with other highly sought after vacation spots if you want to compare cost.

I don't need to do anything of the sort, sorry.

John park hopper

Just got my bill for our up coming stay at (moderate) POFQ 3 nights 273/night plus $19 parking bumps it up to $292/night--2 nights $283/night plus parking bumps it to $302/night --one night $300/night plus parking bumps it to $319/night. Don't think I'm getting any more then when the rooms were half this price. Only thing I can think of is more crowds. Expensive --yep

henwen

As in the location thats currently the Wave? Yes I do, it was the entire floor.
I remember spending hours in there as a teenager. Now I suppose I can spend a few hours at the Wave bar, lol.

Also, the last time I remember using the penny arcade machines (there were only a few of them) was in 2005/2006. They were in the 'middle' section of the emporium shops, kind of set back along the walls. I'll have to look next time I go :)

geekza

I remember spending hours in there as a teenager. Now I suppose I can spend a few hours at the Wave bar, lol.

Also, the last time I remember using the penny arcade machines (there were only a few of them) was in 2005/2006. They were in the 'middle' section of the emporium shops, kind of set back along the walls. I'll have to look next time I go :)
There are some at the Boardwalk and some in the MK Train Station, but from what I understand, they may or may not work.

Amos1784

Just got my bill for our up coming stay at (moderate) POFQ 3 nights 273/night plus $19 parking bumps it up to $292/night--2 nights $283/night plus parking bumps it to $302/night --one night $300/night plus parking bumps it to $319/night. Don't think I'm getting any more then when the rooms were half this price. Only thing I can think of is more crowds. Expensive --yep

I agree with this, we stayed at POFQ for part of our honeymoon in 2013 the other half at the Polynesian. We paid somewhere in the range of 150 a night. You can say inflation, prices go up, its a business all of that however to increase DOUBLE in 5 years for the exact same product? We have basically written off Moderates, we strictly are staying value on non DVC trips and then deluxe when we stay on DVC points.

Prince-1

GREED!! And it appears to have started with the Eisner era. (Reading Disney Wars at present.) But it has had a snowball effect since. They are looking for anything and everything to charge for. I still honestly believe that Disney is no longer interested in bringing in the average family, they want the Trumps of the world, while corprate big whigs are trying to stay amongst the Trumps of the world.

:rolleyes:

21stamps

Im not talking about the DDP plan. I am talking about where free dining and the aggressive pricing during the recession and why it occurred. Just in the first year of the recession, Disney's profits tanked 26%. Pricing stayed stable while aggressive discounts were offered. In fact, pricing stayed stagnant during the recession. You fail to understand the economy and what it does with pricing. Nothing got more expensive during the recession because no one had spare money to spend. Disney is a luxury expense and people were too worried about their excessively high interest rates on their house and cars and also mass amounts of people being laid off their work. We are in the best economy in years. That means more people have disposable income and luxury purchases are being more common. Their is a reason Disney is building mass amounts of hotels. Because the economy supports it. Pricing is going up because their are no "slow" times anymore and because Disney can raise prices without any push back.

Also, again, you fail to understand. I dont care if you have fun in the middle of Montana staying at a cabin for 150 a night. That wasnt my point. I enjoy going to Tennessee. Nothing but woods up in the mountains and hiking in national parks there. Its a cheap vacation but I absolutely love it. My point was, you need to compare with other highly sought after vacation spots if you want to compare cost. Trust me , Disney isnt all that expensive when you compare it to other vacations around the country. Food pricing is on point with those other locations. In fact, the signature restaurants are on average, the same cost as a higher end restaurant anywhere else (Ignore Hawaii,and Alaska).

Omg.. someone finally gets it!!!!!

Thank you for this post!

jimbojones

My most recent visit was in late August, it was likely my last "long" visit. It was so much more crowded than in the past that it dramatically lowered the number of things we were able to do to the attractions for which we had fast passes. That meant that no park was more than a half day park unless we spent the other half day standing in lines for 3-6 hours to do 2 more attractions. We will go back but it is completely not worth the cost of a week anymore. Next visit will be an 2 day overnight or just a waterpark visit. I will never again spend what I did this summer at Disney for a week long visit and have no interest in standing in lines and being trampled by throngs of people for more than a couple days.

That said I have no problem with the higher prices at all. I do have a problem with the price/crowd ratio or price/entertainment time ratio when it comes to ticket prices. Food prices are another thing though, this summer we brought our lunch in to the park with us and cancled our ADRS after the first day of in park dining. The food was of such low quality for premium+ prices that i'd rather just pack a sandwich. Paying 150 dollars for my family to have the equivalent of a taco bell meal is not something I will do again.

The crowds were so low a decade ago and the prices so competitive that it spoiled us, but I would pay more to have crowd levels like I remember from the early 2000s and like the limited sales special events. My personal opinion is that Disney sells annual passes at far to low of a price relative which is a contributor to the madhouse crowds.

MickeyLuv'r

Omg.. someone finally gets it!!!!!

Thank you for this post!
How ironic.

I thought his post was a tad overblown: ranting wildly against a rather mild comment.

Alas, that what we do in 2018.

This is the age of hyperbole.

(An old song is playing in my head..."This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius...."

bigrigross

How ironic.

I thought his post was a tad overblown: ranting wildly against a rather mild comment.

(An old song is playing in my head..."This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius...."

You said disney was expensive. I stated the prices are on par with other popular vacations. You said it doesnt matter. You can look like your being attacked all you want. You have no idea what you are talking about. Even in your message you stated prices have been rising for 5 years which just so happens to coincide with the economy getting better. Get off the high horse.

21stamps

How ironic.

His comment was spot on. If you compare popular family destinations, Disney pricing is comparable, a lot of times even less, depending on your accommodations at Disney.

MickeyLuv'r

You said disney was expensive. I stated the prices are on par with other popular vacations. You said it doesnt matter. You can look like your being attacked all you want. You have no idea what you are talking about. Even in your message you stated prices have been rising for 5 years which just so happens to coincide with the economy getting better. Get off the high horse.

Er, no. I know exactly what I said.

This is the topic sentence of my post. It was post #30, if anyone wishes to re-read the rest of it:
Over the past 5 years or so, this hasn't quite been our experience. While I agree it is certainly possible- even easy - to spend more money having fun in assorted locations, I've long been a fan of vacationing beyond WDW, and have almost always found great deals elsewhere if I looked.

Sorry, but I know exactly what I said. Before that I also said, (post#22)
I think we'd often find more common ground on emotional topics if we all aimed to adopt more neutral language terminology, instead of the loaded terminology bandied about these days.

aliceismad

... I will never again spend what I did this summer at Disney for a week long visit and have no interest in standing in lines and being trampled by throngs of people for more than a couple days...

This is interesting. From an outsider's perspective who doesn't know any better, I'm sure the price increases are harder to swallow when combined with what regular visitors sees as an influx of crowds. I've seen a couple of places talk about how times of year that were previously "low crowd" don't really exist anymore. I know I did a lot of research into what times of year *might* be lower crowds next year, but it seems like Disney has done a good job of adding incentives to make people more interested in traveling during various times of the year. Have crowds gotten that bad that it's deterring people though?

eliza61nyc

This is interesting. From an outsider's perspective who doesn't know any better, I'm sure the price increases are harder to swallow when combined with what regular visitors sees as an influx of crowds. I've seen a couple of places talk about how times of year that were previously "low crowd" don't really exist anymore. I know I did a lot of research into what times of year *might* be lower crowds next year, but it seems like Disney has done a good job of adding incentives to make people more interested in traveling during various times of the year. Have crowds gotten that bad that it's deterring people though?

not imo. I went 8/29 of this year and crowds were very low. if you go on the trip report forums you'll see my trip report with pictures of the low crowds. MK very very low crowds 1-2 in the afternoon.

the entire week, the only ride that had a 1 hour wait was Flight of passage and Navi I think had a 45 minute wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom