Rafiki's Planet Watch

Beccone

Original Poster
I'm hoping anyone can give me a little more info on the Planet Watch, we have skipped this area the past 2 times we have gone to AK. After reading the Unnificial Guide I wasn't even sure it would be worth our time to go over there but while making my daily agenda, it looks like we'll have some extra time so I thought we'd pop over there. I have a 13 yr old and 6, 5 and a 2 yr old. From what I've read the little ones might like it but will my 13 yr old ds be bored to death? About how long does this whole area take to do and does anyone know if you can bring a stroller on the train? My 6 yr old has just started walking on his own this past year and we will be using a stroller as a wheelchair for him (I'll get the tag from guest relations for the stroller) and if there is alot of walking I don't think he'll be able to do it. Thanks for any help in advance!

EPCOTPluto

Well, the time you are there depends. You can be there for 15 minutes or up to nearly an hour or so if you do everything there.

From the train station to the actual building once there, there are small exhibits that encourage activity with the younger ones. A backyard animal search, for example, are one of them. There are also ideas for attracting animals in your backyard.
The main building are the location for all the Animal Programs heard around WDW. It is where all the effort for DAK happens.There are occasional character greetings there. When I went there, sometimes I see Rafiki, Pcahontas or Jiminy Cricket.

The biggest thing there is really displays of reptilian creatures behind glass. There is also a scheduled veterinarian service section, where they would perform check-ups and even surgery to animals in need of one. Really interesting to see, IMO. They even did surgery on a fowl once!

There are areas devoted to the care and preservation of the animals at DAK, with booths regarding facts, their habitats and general behind the scenes of animal care. There are also booths that play sounds of nature, in the Song of the Rainforest and a mini film on animals (though I never seen it yet.) And there is the random CM with a snake to pet. Outside the back, there is something called Affection Section, where kids and adults alike get a close encounter and even pet furry animals like goats and I believe llamas.

As for strollers, well, I believe it is possible!

This is as much I remember. :p

tigsmom

I'm hoping anyone can give me a little more info on the Planet Watch, we have skipped this area the past 2 times we have gone to AK. After reading the Unnificial Guide I wasn't even sure it would be worth our time to go over there but while making my daily agenda, it looks like we'll have some extra time so I thought we'd pop over there. I have a 13 yr old and 6, 5 and a 2 yr old. From what I've read the little ones might like it but will my 13 yr old ds be bored to death? About how long does this whole area take to do and does anyone know if you can bring a stroller on the train? My 6 yr old has just started walking on his own this past year and we will be using a stroller as a wheelchair for him (I'll get the tag from guest relations for the stroller) and if there is alot of walking I don't think he'll be able to do it. Thanks for any help in advance!

The younger ones will definitely like it, it's a maybe on the oldest. My youngest was 12 last time we went and she insisted we go (but she is a tree hugger :lookaroun ). I enjoyed it as well, but it's not something I would choose to do every trip so if you've never been then head on over.
Yes, you can get the stroller on the train as aisle is quite wide.

Click here for more info

Phonedave

I have to drag my 10 and 8 year old daughter out of there. Especialy my 10 year old. It's animals, all about animals. If your kids like animals and actualy learning about them, then they will like it. If they are interested in cartoon characters and thrill rides, then no. My 10 y/o wants to be a vet (specificaly a vet at Animal Kingdom) They have a set up where you can watch the Disney Vets perfroming procedures on animals and there is a CM there to answer questions. We spent almost an hour watching them once.

There is also a petting zoo. There is an anmial show that varies. They have a handler come out with some animal and they talk about it and show it off. It's usualy pretty funny too. There are some exhibits. I found it very interesting the one time when the animal dietician was there mixing up the various meals. They have a whole list of "recipies" that each animal gets. Not just each type of animal but each specific one. One got extra meat because "he is a little high maintence and needs some pampering".

There is a lot to do there, but its all interactive. You have to go up and look at things and talk to people, as opposed to sit back and watch a show or ride an attraction.

As for logistics. You can only take a collapsable stroller on the train. There is seating on each train car for a wheelchair/ECV. If you son is in a stroller for a medical reason, and you get a guest assistance card, that my be an option (or it may not be, as they most likely cannot lock a stroller down effectively)

The trains run about ever 10 minutes. Its a 5 minute ride to the Planet watch (where you pass backstage animal holding facilites), and then once you get off the train, its about a 5 minute walk to the Conservation Station where most of the activities are.

-dave

My family can never miss it, and I am 16. We don't do the animal hunts and activities but it is really interesting to speak to the people there. They have one area where they have a person showing you how they feed the animals and how much etc. and like was mentioned they have surgergies and stuff. For your little ones there are usually some neat characters there, I have seen Tarzan there almost every time. The mural when you first walk in is super fun to search for hidden mickey's on. I swear there are like 50, I tried to find them all using my book but it was taking too long, ha ha. But the sound booth that you go sit in, I believe it's called the "Sounds of the Rainforest" blew me away! I never knew it was there and I am upset I missed it for so long. The sound technology is amazing! Also, I would say the train ride in itself is worth it, it takes you behind the scenes to see where the animals go at night. And I am pretty sure you can bring a stroller on, if I recall correctly, there is an aisle where you can park it on the train.

Hope you go!

Phonedave

There is also a very good chance that PUSH's cousin will be there

I can never remember his name, but this is the only place he (or she, or it) appears and he/she/it seems to be there quite frequently.

-dave

EPCOTPluto

I can never remember his name, but this is the only place he (or she, or it) appears and he/she/it seems to be there quite frequently.

Wait, so technically, not all of Push and his "friends" are gone from the parks?
Good to hear! Last time I saw the cousin was recently around January.

Scooter

We usually go to Rafiki's Planet watch right after we do the Gorilla Trail. The train ride is a nice chance to sit and rest for awhile. It's also cool to see the backstage area where they keep the animals. We don't spend a lot of time there once we get to Rafiki's Planet Watch, but we enjoy looking at all the displays in the air-conditioned building. I wish they had some sort of sit down counter service restuarant there though. It seems like everytime I go there I am hungry. I believe they do sell hot dogs and ice cream there but I'm not a hot dog fan.

Tiggerfanatic

It depends on the ages and interests of your kids. DD20 & I always ride the train down and do the trail; we don't spend a lot of time at the exhibits, but we do enjoy seeing whatever characters might be about. Seems like that's the only place where you can find Pocohontas.

Last year, I took my nephew10. He is crazy about bones of any kind, and we spent almost 3 hours on the trail and in the building. He looked at everything and read EVERY word. But, hey, that's what we went for.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member

-dave

Pipa, the recycling can has retired. You can meet Rafiki, Jiminy Cricket, and most days Pocahontas at Rafiki's planet watch though.

Phonedave

Wait, so technically, not all of Push and his "friends" are gone from the parks?
Good to hear! Last time I saw the cousin was recently around January.

Was that some sort of news and or rumor I missed.

I was last there in March/April and I saw PUSH. At least I think I did.

I think thats the time I saw him rolling from Tomorrowland into the Hub. He made the comment while rolling down that path that "this sure feels like walking the green mile"

-dave

NewfieFan

Was that some sort of news and or rumor I missed.

I was last there in March/April and I saw PUSH. At least I think I did.

I think thats the time I saw him rolling from Tomorrowland into the Hub. He made the comment while rolling down that path that "this sure feels like walking the green mile"

-dave

I think PUSH is still around but Pipa (?) is gone!?! We saw PUSH for the first time this past trip and it was such a treat. My dad asked if he knew Wall E and his responses were too funny. My brother (who is 27 btw) was freaking out... he couldn't figure out how the thing worked... I had to whisper it to him afterwards!

lighteningqueen

We saw him at Rafikis Planet in Dec and he used my grandson for his show,We had not told him about this prior to going to Disney we wanted surprises he is only 6 and got a real kick out of it and so did the other kids.He did this show for about 20 minutes on my grandson and well worth the time. He was at the entrance to the building, where we saw Rafiki,and Jiminy. I a, so glad we went for him and us. But the tram or train broke down one of them and when it was time to head back the line was forever ever long over an hour and half to get back on again to get us all out. But you have to do it once. It is beautiful back in there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom