Race morning food

monorail81

Original Poster
Just curious what everyone else will be chowing down on their race morning next weekend. My stomach doesn't do well in the early morning on too much, so I'll be enjoying some Cheerios and a banana or two. How about everyone else?

JillC LI

Stick with whatever is tried and true for you. If that's cheerios and a banana, stick with it. I always have some cereal and fruit before a long run. It used to be an apple and peanut butter, but after years of that I got sick of it and changed. Just don't try anything new race day.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I like running on an semi empty stomach, then start to refuel after 30 minute from start on anything longer than 10-13miles. However, as I have posted before, I like to train for all stomach types. Very Full, Full, sort of full and sort of empty to completely empty.

bethram

I have a scoop of peanut butter before I go out and run in the morning - doesn't matter the distance. I usually do the same when going to run a 5k race, maybe some sort of granola bar if I'm going to have to wait a while. I usually have a Clif Builder Bar while driving to a half marathon.

LindsayLoves

For 13.1 and longer I do a bagel or toast with peanut butter about 2 hours before the start so it has time to digest, too close to race/run time and I am tasting PB for all of my miles.

ChristaH

I have no idea what I will do! All of my long training runs have been in the late afternoon so I don't really have an early morning run routine. Probabaly will go with light and bland...granola bar or oatmeal and a banana maybe. I'm also a little worried about the temperature. I am used to the temperature dropping during my run and giving me a little boost at the end. This will be the opposite. And getting up over 70 by the time I finish. Yuck.

Texas84

A Boost protein drink when I wake up, then some type of bread product with peanut butter before I run. At WDW it's a bagel but lately it's been the awesome fresh pretzel rolls from my local Kroger bakery. Also a Gatorade G1. I only do the bread and G1 if the run is over 10 miles.

FerretAfros

I usually do oatmeal with the hotel room coffee maker, and then bring some pretzels and/or a bagel in a baggie to munch on before the race (and during it, if it's a longer race)

dreamfinder

Before a race its usually an onion bagel, or toast w/hummus or peanut butter. At Disney races its usually 1 1/2-2 bagels, just since its like 2 + hours from wakeup to race time.

As mentioned, stick with what works. Try different things at home and see what floats your boat, and then bring those with you to your race.

I have no idea what I will do! All of my long training runs have been in the late afternoon so I don't really have an early morning run routine. Probabaly will go with light and bland...granola bar or oatmeal and a banana maybe. I'm also a little worried about the temperature. I am used to the temperature dropping during my run and giving me a little boost at the end. This will be the opposite. And getting up over 70 by the time I finish. Yuck.

If you have time, do an early morning run this weekend. Even if its just a shorter keeping it loose run. Strongly advise to try to do a run at the race start, just so you are used to it.

monorail81

Original Poster

I'm not looking forward to the weather this year, either. We live in Florida and training this year has been HORRIBLE. We may not be ready for the hills because of our flat, coastal landscape, but we have the leg up when it comes to this winter's heat. It was 85 for our run yesterday! Yuck!

As for everyone else, thanks for all the pointers! Believe me. I have no plan to change my food for this race. Tried and true is definately the way to go! I was just curious so I can explore new possibilities in the future.

Everyone have a great race next week! :)

fmingo36

Instant oatmeal is my go to food before any morning run 5+ miles. Anything under 5 miles, I usually will have a protein/Luna bar.

Sumrdog

I always drink a cup of coffee and have a raisin bagel with butter. I can't stomach anything with maltodextrin so all those gu's and gels are out for me. On my long runs I refuel with real fruit leather, jelly beans, and pretzels on runs greater than 16 miles. I don't need anything fancy.

pixargal

Has anyone taken advantage of the race retreat that Disney offers before races? They mentioned on the website that they have food available. Does it include coffee? Need my coffee. I will be running the Enchanted 10k in February. It is my first Disney race, and even though I am very excited, I am also overwhelmed.

Sumrdog

Has anyone taken advantage of the race retreat that Disney offers before races? They mentioned on the website that they have food available. Does it include coffee? Need my coffee. I will be running the Enchanted 10k in February. It is my first Disney race, and even though I am very excited, I am also overwhelmed.
I think for the price you are much better off just making coffee in your room. I get an empty to go cup for the morning and bring my own food. Then you know you will get what your are used to eating. You don't want any surprises on race day.

Ariel484

I agree with @Sumrdog - it seems the biggest perks of the retreats to me are the private bathrooms. :D They do have bagels and stuff, but I like bringing the bagels/PB I'm used to eating at home. You also get a warm place to wait but keeping warm before the race hasn't been a problem over the past few years. Personally I wouldn't want to spend the money.

ChristaH

There is also a small ESPN Grill tent in the race area and they were selling coffee before the race. So bring a lite cash with you and buy a cup there. You may even be able to use a Magic Band to pay, but I didn't walk over there to check.

pixargal

Thank you, ladies, for your suggestions. I can't imagine being hungry so early in the morning, thanks for the coffee ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom