R. C. Gorman dead at 74

Erika

Original Poster
I don't know if he has any fans here, but I've always liked him. I have a signed poster-print framed on my wall. If you've been to the Southwest, chances are good you've seen his work somewhere.

Renowned Navajo artist R.C. Gorman, 74, dies in New Mexico

Tim Korte
Associated Press
Nov. 4, 2005 12:00 AM

ALBUQUERQUE - Famed Navajo artist R.C. Gorman, dubbed "the Picasso of American art" by the New York Times, died Thursday. He was 74.

His death was announced by Gov. Bill Richardson at a news conference in Santa Fe and confirmed by his gallery and the hospital where he had been since September.

"New Mexico loses a great citizen and the world loses a great artist," Richardson said.

Gorman, who had been ill with a blood infection and pneumonia, was surrounded by family and friends when he died at 12:20 p.m. at University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque.

Gorman was internationally renowned for paintings and sculptures of graceful female figures, often depicted as generously sized and draped in a blanket.

"I revere women. They are my greatest inspiration," Gorman told the Associated Press in 1998 at his studio north of Taos.

His work was collected by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Andy Warhol.

"It's a big loss; he's going to be sorely missed," said Navajo Nation President Joe Shirley Jr. "He contributed greatly to the great name of the Navajo Nation. He afforded us the opportunity to talk about ourselves to the world. When they took an interest in him, they also took an interest in our nation."

Gorman's work represented an anthology of styles over the years - some featuring Indian rugs, pottery and sand-painting motifs. Some were mystical, surreal.

"His color and his whimsy, the way he celebrated Native American women in particular, and the way he elevated the figures to an art form, really, was tremendous," New Mexico Cultural Affairs Secretary Stuart Ashman said.

He said Gorman will be remembered as "one of the greatest Native American artists." He praised Gorman for "putting Native American artists into the mainstream of visual artists."

Born Rudolph Carl Gorman on July 26, 1931, in Chinle, Ariz., he was known as R.C. throughout his career. He grew up on the Navajo reservation, the son of Navajo Code Talker Carl Gorman.

tigsmom

The name wasn't familiar to me, but I looked him up... I have seen those works before... beautiful.

Such a shame. :(

MouseMadness

10051075A.jpg

Beautiful.

Very sad. :( Really, to me, 74 sounds so young for people to die anymore. Maybe because all my grandparents are living WELL into their 80's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom