Quote About No Disney Characters at Epcot

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Maybe you guys could help me out with this one.

When EPCOT Center opened in 1982, I believe there was a quote that someone said about the park not including any Disney characters or attractions based off Disney movies that didn't fit with the theme. I don't know who said the quote and if/where it was said..does anyone know of such a quote or a similar quote about how the theme of the park isn't built on including Disney movies?

Much appreciated!

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Well, remember that Walt never planned on Epcot being a park, so I doubt that there are any quotes from Walt about Epcot the theme park.

The management in charge of Epcot Center (Card Walker, etc. The Pre-Eisner folks) specifically wanted to not use Disney characters in the park to differentiate it from Magic Kingdom, but I'm not sure if there's a specific quote or anything like that.

Even Eisner, early on, felt that Disney characters should be exclusive to MK when he was beginning development on Disney-MGM so that's why there were so many licensed characters whether it be Ace Ventura, Goosebumps, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Muppets and on and on...

IIRC, Epcot started getting characters permanently around 2000, but someone can feel free to correct me on that.

Goofyernmost

They might have not wanted to make them a focal point, but, they certainly were there. There are many pictures of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and the gang dress up in futuristic costumes wandering around Epcot in the beginning. DHS had all kinds of character parades usually based on animated films that were produced right there on property. And, of course, the show "The New Mickey Mouse Club" was taped in DHS.

I do believe that they wanted to limit them, but, I don't think anyone ever attempted to ban them from exposure in any of the parks. They started to change their minds when people were not associating EPCOT with Disney or of it being part of Walt Disney World. They had to carry over that identity so that people would understand that it was all the same big property.

Cmdr_Crimson

Maybe you guys could help me out with this one.

When EPCOT Center opened in 1982, I believe there was a quote that someone said about the park not including any Disney characters or attractions based off Disney movies that didn't fit with the theme. I don't know who said the quote and if/where it was said..does anyone know of such a quote or a similar quote about how the theme of the park isn't built on including Disney movies?

Much appreciated!

The Today Show Epcot Grand Opening News report..Go to 2:54 seconds about the Disney Characters

Listen to the opening of the news reporter stating it During the Regan Inaugral Speech..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom