Quiz Question

djmatthews

Original Poster
I was at my local Uni Pub Quiz on Sunday night when a question came up - How Many Times has WDW closed since opening day? Now my inital reaction was twice - Hurricain Floyd and Sept 11th. The answer the quiz master came back with was once! Please can I have clarification of when exactly WDW was closed because of Floyd, did the parks ever open on that day, or were the parks evacuated at some point during the day. I know that WDW was closed early afternoon because of Sept 11th (I was there).

The fact I got the question wrong doesn't bother me, I just need a clarification of times etc as it is bugging me!

- Darren

DanStat

Twice

Disney World has only closed twice...

Well, only once really...there was this one hurricane a few years back that closed the parks, but Animal Kingdom was open for resort guests only. Then 9/11 caused all the parks to close.

Never really for 24 hours though...

wdw100

It was closed for the hurricane. I remember seeing it up here in Canada. I was worried about the park.:lookaroun

Maria

To be exact, (and if my memory doesn´t fail) the parks closed for Hurricane Floyd on September 15th, 1999. We were evacuated on sept. 14th and made all of us and the guests go home. The parks were closed on sept. 15th and AK opened later that afternoon for a few hours only for resort guests. ;)

TinkerBell9988

Originally posted by Maria
To be exact, (and if my memory doesn´t fail) the parks closed for Hurricane Floyd on September 15th, 1999. We were evacuated on sept. 14th and made all of us and the guests go home. The parks were closed on sept. 15th and AK opened later that afternoon for a few hours only for resort guests. ;)

yup, I remember that. I wasnt actually at WDW, but since I live in Florida, we had to be cautious too. We couldnt really leave our houses. The hurricane actually wasnt as bad as they made it seem, though... :zipit:

NowInc

Hurrican Floyd (the hurricane that never was) wsa the first time in history they closed the parks (day after my b-day..grr)...the 2nd time...9/11

Maria

Originally posted by NowInc
Hurrican Floyd (the hurricane that never was) wsa the first time in history they closed the parks (day after my b-day..grr)...the 2nd time...9/11

Yep! You are right.... and they closed on Mexican Independence Day!
Yeah... that was the hurricane that never was... hehe... I was standing on my balcony watching the light rain and then went outside to watch other cm´s play soccer under the rain. It was a fun day trapped in the Commons while my bf was stuck on his way from Michigan to Florida because of the closed roads.:rolleyes:

NowInc

Originally posted by Maria

Yep! You are right.... and they closed on Mexican Independence Day!
Yeah... that was the hurricane that never was... hehe... I was standing on my balcony watching the light rain and then went outside to watch other cm´s play soccer under the rain. It was a fun day trapped in the Commons while my bf was stuck on his way from Michigan to Florida because of the closed roads.:rolleyes:

It was the nicest day of the year....

raven

I remember that too. I watched and the newspapers very closely that week because I was to arrive on September 16th. I didn't want it to be closed when I got there so I was very nervouse but it was open by the 16th of September.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom