Quickest route from Disney to Port

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
I have GPS but was curious if any regulars of florida residents know the quickest way to get from Disney to port on a Sunday at 8 am and then back to Disney on a Thursday probably 8 am....thanks

FlyTriPacer

Not a FL resident, but last week we went (Port to WDW) 528 to 417 (followed signs off 417 to Pop). It took less than an hour. We were heading to WDW on a Thursday morning also and it was about 9:30 when we got done w/a couple stops in the Port area.

Last edited:

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
looks like gps wants me to go 528 to I-4 maybe due to where my resort is located AKL...but show construction along the route

FlyTriPacer

I think my GPS said I should go I-4 also, but I had traveled 528 to 417 a couple of times in the past...so I ignored it. I'd hate to steer you wrong, but it was a very easy drive this way. You can try I-4 going and if it works, use it coming back. If not, you've got an alternate. Hopefully someone else will chime in w/their experiences.

Have a great trip!

ChuckElias

417 adds about 10-15 minutes to your drive. Unless traffic is really exceptionally heavy on I-4. I never take 417, personally. On a Thursday morning when people are heading to work, however, it might be worth it to avoid I-4.

FlyTriPacer

417 adds about 10-15 minutes to your drive. Unless traffic is really exceptionally heavy on I-4. I never take 417, personally. On a Thursday morning when people are heading to work, however, it might be worth it to avoid I-4.

Thanks for the info. I went that way once when I went from the port area to Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight museum and saw the Disney exits and I've used it the last 2 cruises because there was no traffic. I'll give I-4 a try next trip, if the traffic cooperates.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster

It makes sense it gives me I-4 i have it set on fast route. and I assume at 8am on a Thursday would be moringing traffic. Is there less rush hour traffic on 417

ChuckElias

Is there less rush hour traffic on 417
Yes. If you look at it on a map, 417 is essentially a loop that goes around the I-4/528 intersection. I-4 can be very heavy in the mornings and at evening rush hour. So it might make sense to skip as much of I-4 as you can on a Thrs morning at 8:00. It's not a very long stretch of I-4 (almost exactly 8 miles), but if you're doing 30 mph the whole way in traffic, it might be worth it to go around.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Yes. If you look at it on a map, 417 is essentially a loop that goes around the I-4/528 intersection. I-4 can be very heavy in the mornings and at evening rush hour. So it might make sense to skip as much of I-4 as you can on a Thrs morning at 8:00. It's not a very long stretch of I-4 (almost exactly 8 miles), but if you're doing 30 mph the whole way in traffic, it might be worth it to go around.

Thanks!!! Since I sit in Boston rush hour traffic each day I would want to avoid it while on vacation!!!

rick3236

Orlando Resident here. While I-4 to 528 is the most direct and shortest route, the traffic from Disney to the 528 on I-4 can be very heavy at times. The 417 is a little longer route, but it rarely ever has traffic. At 8AM on a Sunday morning you will have no trouble at all on I-4 to the 528. I would take the 417 back to Disney on Thursday morning, though, as the traffic can be heavy on the 528 from the Turnpike to I-4.

ChuckElias

Orlando Resident here. While I-4 to 528 is the most direct and shortest route, the traffic from Disney to the 528 on I-4 can be very heavy at times. The 417 is a little longer route, but it rarely ever has traffic. At 8AM on a Sunday morning you will have no trouble at all on I-4 to the 528. I would take the 417 back to Disney on Thursday morning, though, as the traffic can be heavy on the 528 from the Turnpike to I-4.
Thanks for the input, Rick!! I'm a frequent Orlando visitor, but not really a resident. So it's nice to hear you pretty much confirm what I'd been trying to say!

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Orlando Resident here. While I-4 to 528 is the most direct and shortest route, the traffic from Disney to the 528 on I-4 can be very heavy at times. The 417 is a little longer route, but it rarely ever has traffic. At 8AM on a Sunday morning you will have no trouble at all on I-4 to the 528. I would take the 417 back to Disney on Thursday morning, though, as the traffic can be heavy on the 528 from the Turnpike to I-4.[/
quote]
THANK YOU !!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom