• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Quick thoughts from recent trip

Mr_Bernard

"Um, Miss Bianca?"
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok, the wedding was SPECTACULAR. There wasn't a false note (including the harpist!). Our Disney fine art photographer made the entire event so magical and took our MK portrait session to places that are usually off-limits. I mean, the main foyer and the loading area of the Haunted Mansion. The Tiki Room. Those are not on the agenda. Best of all, we now have a new friend to hang with on future Disney trips!

I'll save the rest of the wedding stuff for the trip report. But here are some general thoughts about the state of the resort:

POFQ - It's practically a deluxe resort these days. The upgrades and refurbs have done wonders for an already beautiful hotel. Family and friends who weren't too excited about Disney were instant converts. And these are world travelers! POFQ will always be home to us (when we can't afford AKL).

Polynesian - Always wanted to stay there, childhood dream. So, Honeymooned club level. Yes, it's a beautiful kitschy Disney landmark of tiki splendor. Definitely in my wheelhouse of giddy expectation.

But romantic? The Polynesian is a paradise for nasty, screaming, revolting children. I've never seen so many poorly behaved children with such absent parents. Running up and down the halls, up and down the sidewalks, screaming all day in the pools and common areas. Take me back to POFQ, it was an oasis. Take me back to the AKL. Peace personified. Club level was nice but nothing spectacular, one and done. Tonga Toast and Macadamia Nut Pancake room service, however, <3 <3 <3.

The Parks: Packed but pleasant. For the most part, other guests were a little more aware of their surroundings than in past experiences. Definite plus. Weather was chilly for the first few days then blossomed into breezy comfortable bliss. DVC sales folks were far more aggressive than usual (maybe it was the grooms-mouse ear hats). Cast members in general were SO lovely to us. Lots of offers for photos - oodles of complimentary snacks, fastpasses, champagne, etc. Maybe we should have another honeymoon next month.

Transportation -

Buses: Not one issue. Timely schedule, lovely cast members, lovely drivers. MGM/DHS has a bit of a walk due to construction but that's perfectly reasonable.

Monorail: RIDICULOUS. Delays delays delays, broke down twice, hot as heck, stinky like a barnyard. What happened? And how is this a perk? After the first three days of "ease and convenience" we traveled by ferry and Lyft (to Epcot). We weren't alone, either. Hordes of fellow Poly folk chose the boat over the train. Honestly, my husband and I continually referred to the monorail as "the train" since it was just like being home, except that the NYC subway works better. No more romantic views, let it go. Let it go. That perfect squirrel is gone.

Disney After Dark: WORTH IT. Although, after throwing thousands of dollars in wedding and honeymoon funds at the mouse, we stopped thinking about prices. Will do it again in a heartbeat!

Cheers!

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Advertisement
@Mr_Bernard , Congratulations!! Can't wait for the trip report.

I think parents get what I call "vacation-dementia". No way do I think they allow their kids to act like park apes in real life. We get on vacation and say "I'm going to let them do whatever they want"

Last edited:

Mr_Bernard

"Um, Miss Bianca?"
Premium Member
Original Poster

I think parents get what I call "vacation-dementia". No way do I think they allow their kids to act like park apes in real life. We get on vacation and say "I'm going to let them do whatever they want"
Thanks!

And oh, yes. But I’ve never seen it like this at any other resort I’ve stayed at on property.

CaptainAmerica

It's the debt. Parents take their families on vacations they can't afford and the looming credit card bill sends them into a frenzy of stress. They panic about fitting in EVERY SINGLE OUNCE OF FUN that they go from open to close and forget that they (and their children) need sleep. By day three they're at each others' throats.

I am Timmy

Congratulations! I am so happy for you both, and what a wedding! That was a pretty thorough "quick thoughts", and agree about Poly. My boys (adults now) will only go there to eat and leave. Can't wait for the trip report!!

danheaton

Congrats on the wedding! We've only stayed deluxe at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and I've also found that to be pleasant and actually pretty relaxing for a Disney resort. For the prices at Polynesian, I'm actually a little surprised so many families could afford it. We've also had good luck with the buses, and I did hear on The Disney Dish that the bus times are actually going down overall based on Len Testa's research. The Monorail is another thing entirely, though.

WildernessLodge

We did MNSSHP for the first time last summer (lol) as our "MK day" of that trip. We realized that we missed having a full day at the park, even if we rode about the same amount of rides in a shorter amount of time. We felt rushed and didn't have the time to sit and enjoy a meal or many treats. Did you feel this way about After Dark? It sounds amazing but I would think I would also miss a whole day at one of the parks. Just curious how you guys felt.

Mr_Bernard

"Um, Miss Bianca?"
Premium Member
Original Poster
We did MNSSHP for the first time last summer (lol) as our "MK day" of that trip. We realized that we missed having a full day at the park, even if we rode about the same amount of rides in a shorter amount of time. We felt rushed and didn't have the time to sit and enjoy a meal or many treats. Did you feel this way about After Dark? It sounds amazing but I would think I would also miss a whole day at one of the parks. Just curious how you guys felt.
The crowds at MNSSHP have been out of control. It's no longer worth it for the attraction benefit. We attend for a few rides but mostly for all the character extras, shows and such. We spend more time with Lady Carlotta at the Haunted Mansion!

Disney After Dark isn't anywhere near the crowd size at MNSSHP. It's a reminder of what E-Nights were back in the day. Unfortunately, it's also a reminder of how inexpensive those were... But in any event, our MK night felt like we got our money's worth. Did many back to back rides on the most popular attractions like Mine Train and Peter Pan -- and did every other available attraction we wanted. It's also worth it to walk around in a peaceful atmosphere which is less and less available in the dearth of the "slow season".

Sonconato

Ok, the wedding was SPECTACULAR. There wasn't a false note (including the harpist!). Our Disney fine art photographer made the entire event so magical and took our MK portrait session to places that are usually off-limits. I mean, the main foyer and the loading area of the Haunted Mansion. The Tiki Room. Those are not on the agenda. Best of all, we now have a new friend to hang with on future Disney trips!

I'll save the rest of the wedding stuff for the trip report. But here are some general thoughts about the state of the resort:

POFQ - It's practically a deluxe resort these days. The upgrades and refurbs have done wonders for an already beautiful hotel. Family and friends who weren't too excited about Disney were instant converts. And these are world travelers! POFQ will always be home to us (when we can't afford AKL).

Polynesian - Always wanted to stay there, childhood dream. So, Honeymooned club level. Yes, it's a beautiful kitschy Disney landmark of tiki splendor. Definitely in my wheelhouse of giddy expectation.

But romantic? The Polynesian is a paradise for nasty, screaming, revolting children. I've never seen so many poorly behaved children with such absent parents. Running up and down the halls, up and down the sidewalks, screaming all day in the pools and common areas. Take me back to POFQ, it was an oasis. Take me back to the AKL. Peace personified. Club level was nice but nothing spectacular, one and done. Tonga Toast and Macadamia Nut Pancake room service, however, <3 <3 <3.

The Parks: Packed but pleasant. For the most part, other guests were a little more aware of their surroundings than in past experiences. Definite plus. Weather was chilly for the first few days then blossomed into breezy comfortable bliss. DVC sales folks were far more aggressive than usual (maybe it was the grooms-mouse ear hats). Cast members in general were SO lovely to us. Lots of offers for photos - oodles of complimentary snacks, fastpasses, champagne, etc. Maybe we should have another honeymoon next month.

Transportation -

Buses: Not one issue. Timely schedule, lovely cast members, lovely drivers. MGM/DHS has a bit of a walk due to construction but that's perfectly reasonable.

Monorail: RIDICULOUS. Delays delays delays, broke down twice, hot as heck, stinky like a barnyard. What happened? And how is this a perk? After the first three days of "ease and convenience" we traveled by ferry and Lyft (to Epcot). We weren't alone, either. Hordes of fellow Poly folk chose the boat over the train. Honestly, my husband and I continually referred to the monorail as "the train" since it was just like being home, except that the NYC subway works better. No more romantic views, let it go. Let it go. That perfect squirrel is gone.

Disney After Dark: WORTH IT. Although, after throwing thousands of dollars in wedding and honeymoon funds at the mouse, we stopped thinking about prices. Will do it again in a heartbeat!

Cheers!
Congratulations! Overall, I'm happy you had a wonderful time. Looking forward to your trip report.

disneyfireman

Glad the bus schedule worked well. A lot of folks like to complain about a freebie. We have always loved the bus availability and thank Disney for providing them. Even at the all stars, we never have an issue. Yes they are crowded. But big deal.

Top Bottom