Quick Service Breakfast, Lunch and Snacks at Animal Kingdom

Schneewittchen

Original Poster
I've never been to Animal Kingdom before, and I'm going for the first time in April. My family usually just stuck to the things we know - MK and EPCOT.

I'd like some opinions about our Animal Kingdom options for breakfast, lunch and snacks at AK. We have a dinner reservation for Tusker House around 7 pm. I'm pretty excited to try a new character meal.

Maybe we'll eat some oatmeal in the RV for breakfast, but there is a possibility we won't eat. Maybe the kids will eat granola bars. But it's likely DH and I will want coffee and pastries/donuts when we arrive. We hate Starbucks. I will not pay $5 for a steaming cup of ashtray water. Where do you like to get a hot coffee and sugary fat pill for breakfast? As an example, Sleepy Hollow is my go-to coffee spot at MK.

Lunch. DH and I are adventurous eaters. The kids, not so much. So I was thinking to try Harambe Market or the Yak and Yeti Cafe. Any opinions on these options? Meaty is good. Spicy is fine.

Snack time. We usually go for a Dole Whip or churros or a slushy. DL has those lovely chimichangas that make my gut clench and beg for mercy.... Oh, how I wish WDW had them too. So it looks like Tamu Tamu has Dole Whips. Does AK have a signature snack I should try? Something meaty and savory. Or cold and sweet.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I don't know about breakfast but for lunch if you like PB's, Restaurantsaurous has a rather nice fixings bar not quite as big as PB but still very good for burgers and such and Y&Y has always been quite good. Go to TH very hungry because everything was excellent so you'll want to save some room for some of everything. I skipped a mid-day snack on the day of our dinner there and I'm glad I did.

danyoung56

Either of your lunch choices will be fine. My personal favorite in DAK is the Flame Tree BBQ - great ribs with all the fixin's while sitting down by the water's edge and looking across at Everest. Great atmosphere and tasty food!

Spectro

I like flame tree - nice scenery in the seating area and good meaty choices. Yak n yeti also good as in style offerings and good dessert can't go wrong with either.

Baldy

IMG_3803.JPG
I've never eaten there, but I've heard good things about Kusafiri Bakery for breakfast (Not my pic). They have coffee (incl. iced coffee, espresso and cappuccino) and juice. Their cinnamon rolls are huge. There are also an assortment of pastries as well as croissants and a hot breakfast wrap.
It's tiny though. Just grab and go. It's a limited menu and there are only a couple of outdoor tables, but it sounds like that might be what you're looking for.

Last edited:

belledream

Harambe Market has some more exotic options like Tikka Masala and a different take on ribs. Can see and hear the Wildlife Express come around for your mealtime entertainment!

Check out Zuri's next door for a plethora of sweet treats! ;)

Baldy

Me again sorry.
As far as your lunch choices, both are good options if you are looking for meaty and a little different.
I have a few snack ideas too.
- What about the new "jungle juice slush"? Technically it's a drink, not a snack but it sounds delicious.
- Mickey pretzel with cheese sauce
- Popcorn
- Tamu Tamu has a chocolate waffle with vanilla icecream or chocolate mousse
- Mr. Kamal's has falafel and samosas
- Dino Diner has nachos with ground beef if you're looking for a meatier snack.
- If Trilo Bites is open when you go, they have Buffalo Chicken Chips

Schneewittchen

Original Poster
Me again sorry.
As far as your lunch choices, both are good options if you are looking for meaty and a little different.
I have a few snack ideas too.
- What about the new "jungle juice slush"? Technically it's a drink, not a snack but it sounds delicious.
- Mickey pretzel with cheese sauce
- Popcorn
- Tamu Tamu has a chocolate waffle with vanilla icecream or chocolate mousse
- Mr. Kamal's has falafel and samosas
- Dino Diner has nachos with ground beef if you're looking for a meatier snack.
- If Trilo Bites is open when you go, they have Buffalo Chicken Chips

The jungle juice slush sounds pretty good. We like POG, so frozen POG must be better. And we do love samosas.

BackOTheLine

I'll second (third?) Flame Tree - they are usually pretty solid for lunch. Yak and Yeti has been good too. We've only done Tusker House for breakfast - and it's great! A good mix of traditional breakfast food and some other items that you won't likely see anywhere else. Tiffins is the new signature restaurant. Excellent stuff there if you want something a little nicer (sit down). The have a lounge that serves a few tasty appetizers that you could probably make a meal of if so inclined. In my opinion AK has the best food of all the parks - happy eating!

jaklgreen

You really can't go wrong with the food at AK. We always find something we enjoy at all of the restaurants and snack carts. I would google AK food and a bunch of menus will pop up. Check out what sounds good to you.

BigRedDad

We are not an eat breakfast at the park family. It is too expensive. We bring bagels, fruit, and other stuff for the room. We do like the QS meals for lunches. We usually only get 2 meals for 3 of us because they are huge. I do not know much about the QS places back in Africa's new area. Flame Tree BBQ is always my go-to place. Restaurantasaurus is very nice as well. The bar at Y&Y has appetizers that can be a meal and much of it looks delicious (smells good too when walking by). Pizzafari is the standard Disney pizza place. We don't go there at all...FTBBQ is so much better.

Snacks are the common fare found everywhere. In the countries, they may have some more specialized options but always have the regular staples too.

Schneewittchen

Original Poster
You really can't go wrong with the food at AK. We always find something we enjoy at all of the restaurants and snack carts. I would google AK food and a bunch of menus will pop up. Check out what sounds good to you.
I've looked at the menus. They don't actually say if the food is good or not.

If I went by the menus, the flatbreads at Pinocchio's Village Haus would be awesome. Instead of awesome you get a gigantic soggy saltine with catsup and rubber cheese.

jaklgreen

I've looked at the menus. They don't actually say if the food is good or not.

If I went by the menus, the flatbreads at Pinocchio's Village Haus would be awesome. Instead of awesome you get a gigantic soggy saltine with catsup and rubber cheese.
That's why I said you can't go wrong. Don't think I have had a bad meal there. But we avoid the typical theme park food, burgers, pizza, etc.

MickeyfromSTL

I don’t do much breakfast at AK. So I will leave that to others.

For lunch we usually do the Yak and Yeti quick service. Their menu has changed a bit over the years (and the portion size has gone down for sure), but it is still good.

I usually go for the teriyaki beef bowl. I would stay away from the Honey Chicken as I have had it twice and thought it was bland both times.

My wife normally gets an egg roll and helps me eat a bit of my teriyaki bowl.

Last time we were there we saw the chicken fried rice and it looked good (but we already ordered so we didn’t get it).This would be a good thing to add to an entree if you were looking to split a meal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom