quick questions about wdw college program

mickey04

Original Poster
I just have a few questions about the college program.
1. What do you do on a typical day in the program?
2. How long does the program last?
3. Where do you live while in Florida?

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by mickey04
I just have a few questions about the college program.
1. What do you do on a typical day in the program?
2. How long does the program last?
3. Where do you live while in Florida?
1. Pretty much the same as a day for any other cast member. The "classes" are only a few times a month.
2. That depends on when you go. It's about the same as a college semester, give or take a few weeks.
3. College Program exclusive housing is provided within a few miles of WDW. They are all nice, but I hear Vista Way is the best. :D

kal1484

1) Not really sure
2) Depends on what program you are in
3) They have dorms for you on Vista Way

Go to www.disneyseek.com then go to parks, disneyworld, then college program, it has a lot of site of kids that have been in the program :)

Maria

Re: Re: quick questions about wdw college program

Originally posted by Monorail Lime

3. College Program exclusive housing is provided within a few miles of WDW. They are all nice, but I hear Vista Way is the best. :D

Suuure.... if you have never seen The Commons! :D ;)

TURKEY

If you want to catch something, Vista Way is the best. It has a certain nickname for a reason, but its getting a lot better.

Typical Day:

You are guaranteed to work 30+ hours a week. Probally 40+ right now. Quick Service F&B is the biggest department in the program. This includes Cooking, Filling Orders, Taking Orders, Working Outdoor Food Carts.

Lots of CP's close the areas. That means later shifts until the park is closed plus cleaning time and restocking as far as F&B and Merchandise goes.

You work 4 or 5 days a week, then overtime if you want it and if its available. The other two days off you get to do what you want including go to the parks for free.

Classes are optional and are offered at selected times. I highly recommend the Disney Leadership Speakers Series if still offered. I got to hear lots of execs talk including Al Weiss, President of Disney Cruise Line, high ups in Merch, F&B, Pat Williams (ex-gm of Orlando Magic, great speaker), Famous Amos (can't remember his name).

Program Length:

Spring -- mid/late January to May
Spring Advantage -- mid/late January to August
Fall -- late August to late December/early January
Fall Advantage -- mid/late May to late December/early January

Living:

Basically one or two apartment complexes extremely close to Disney. Either Chatham Square or Vista Way is where most CP's go. The Commons is mainly international programs and some advanced interns.

Check out my webpage http://www.geocities.com/jb_reed/ for more details and some pictures of what housing is like. It's a work in progress and I haven't had too much time to devote to it and it isn't much yet except about housing.

I am a campus representative and would love to answer any more questions you might have. Private Message me or email me at jb_reed@hotmail.com

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by turkey leg boy
If you want to catch something, Vista Way is the best

like what? syphillis:zipit:

ok, ok, I'll shut up now w/ my Vista bashing (sorry... I love me some commons)

Goofster

Hey, I know I've got a while, but I was wondering, how does a college let you go down to Disneyworld for a semester? I mean, how could they let you miss that much school? The exception to this question is of course if you go in the summer.

TURKEY

The only way you can go in the summer is to be an alumni of the CP.

Some colleges give credit for doing internships. 6 hours for the work, 6 for taking classes. It varies from school to school.

I didn't get any credit. I took a leave of absence from school to go down. I was going to go no matter what.

Lhriangel

Re: Re: Re: quick questions about wdw college program

Originally posted by mktiggerman

ahem....

LIAR!

:D

*seconds that statement*

You want to live in chatham if you can.. 2 phone lines, newer, nicer, less noise. *throws popcorn at Maria* Yes the Commons ARE the best but.. most of us don't have that choice LOL.

You can stay a semester or do one of the Advantage programs. I stayed for 7 months! :) :)

www.disneyalumni.com is a great site for info.

tmm7899

Or you can sign up for the CP and then get an advanced internship instead, LOL. I know that is not a common thing to happen but that is what happened to me.

Goofster

Ok, and colleges don't usually care if you take a leave of absense?

And one other thing, wondering if you're a CM that isn't part of the college program is there housing for you?

thanks

TURKEY

Mine didn't care about a leave or not.

You can't really make a blanket statement about what colleges will or won't do. Each college is different.

Disney will not offer housing to anyone that is not on the college or international program.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Disney will not offer housing to anyone that is not on the college or international program.

not entirely true. Sometimes they send recruiters for specific positions across the resort, to cities across the US. To entice them, they will offer 6 months of housing.

TURKEY

I meant that they would offer long term, permanent housing. I was looking at staying in Orlando and they were going to let me stay about 1 month to find a place and get moved in.

Goofster

That's cool to know, they let you get on your feet first.

Ohh man, you work for the college program, that's awesome!

I'm really not sure why I'm getting so excited, I've still got a good 3 years until college. (Why couldn't I have had my first WDW visit at 17 instead of 14, then I wouldn't have had to go through so much torture, waiting that is)

Do the reps come to almost every school in the country?

TURKEY

They don't go to all the schools. I am traveling an hour to get to a presentation with the recruiter.

They have a presentation schedule at wdwcollegeprogram.com

They usually change schools some depending on how many people show up at each presentation. Last year there were 3 presentations in Arkansas. This year there are 6.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom