Quick Question | Why did sooo many people flock to Pandora everyday?

GotsFancyPants

Original Poster
Probably sounds redundant considering how beautiful the land is, but why do the general public visit it and overflow it from opening day to now? Is it because of the beautiful land or is it the IP? Avatar is not an IP many obsess over, so why are the crowds are comparable to the massive IP of Harry Potter?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I think its the hype of FOP.
Everyone that goes on it says "this is the best ride in WDW" which makes others say I HAVE to do that ride.
Personally I have not yet been on it and I may go on it during my next trip in July but from watching videos I'm not terribly impressed. Plus I cannot see in 3D and my sister gets motion sickness easily so its just not something we are thrilled about.
I have not even seen the movie so I really don't care about the landscaping at all.
I'm sure that people that have seen the movie and enjoyed it think the land is great.
I should add that my family does not really care for AK in the first place so we barely even go to the park let alone go specifically for Pandora.

John park hopper

Having just done FOP on our May WDW trip I can understand the long waits(3 hours+) it was the highlight of all the e ticket attractions. WE had FP and my son and daughter did not they waited 80 minutes in the stand by line and they agreed it was amazing. Soarin is great FOP is fantastic Disney did a great job.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

We happened to have vacation a week after the opening date and snagged a FP. DD10 has already decided she's willing to wait in standby if need be to ride again this vacation, mainly because of the flying aspect of it. Design wise we both like the glow and light effects at nighttime because we hadn't seen it done before. It was a bit disorienting walking around and getting told to take a different path because CMs were controlling where the FoP queue extended onto paths so we didn't stay for too long.

The Empress Lilly

Everybody is a repeat visitor and internet Disney follower nowadays. In every park the newest area or ride is the most popular, for several years.

Hype. Like TSMM or Soarin' before, crowds and long lines beget crowds and long lines.

For all its positives, DAK still has a pretty mediocre ride roster outside Pandora. Really only four rides. Three of which have limited audience. Everest as a coaster, Dinosaur and Kali for sucking and being very bumpy and the other getting you soaking wet.

And lastly, Pandora is really quite nice.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, considering Everest was the last major attraction for the park in 2006 it would make sense that crowds would want to go to the newest area.

clarabellej

Probably sounds redundant considering how beautiful the land is, but why do the general public visit it and overflow it from opening day to now? Is it because of the beautiful land or is it the IP? Avatar is not an IP many obsess over, so why are the crowds are comparable to the massive IP of Harry Potter?
I know I am certainly guilty of falling for the hype and wanting to check out the latest thing. I was able to snag FPs for FOP on 3 separate days for myself and my daughter using the back to front of stay trick. That left me with the problem of too many AK days and I proceeded to spend more money on park hopper. It turned out FOP was certainly not my cup of tea. Just very physically unpleasant. I was never full on sick, but did not care for it at all. I gave it a second shot, but after that gave up my FPs by trading the experience for something else; thereby allowing someone else to use them. It is interesting bc, although I am aware of the Avatar phenomenon and we made a point to watch the film before going, I was never a real fan. I did however enjoy Pandora. Particularly in the evening. I think what I most enjoyed was AK itself and the fact that it is open in the evenings now. The new land kind of gave AK a new lease for us. AK was mainly our half day park before Pandora. We would save it for departure day and just hit the highlights. Pandora made us linger. I think the people are a little nuts that go early to do FOP. But then again, I suppose I don’t blame them if they are unable to obtain a FP. Look at 7DMT. Such a letdown IMO and yet it still draws them in. Splash Mountain beats it by a long shot.

clarabellej

Sorry, should read “the back to front of stay trick.”

You have a better chance of obtaining the FOP FPs or any more difficult to get FP for that matter, if you plan it toward the end of a long stay at the 60 day mark.

So we planned AK for the latter part of our stay.

I briefly forgot my plan when my FP windpw opened and went to day one first. Which was fine, but was only able to grab Na’vi River.

Then I quickly remembered my plan and went to day 6 or 7 of our stay a was able to get FOP. I then worked backwards and got FOP FP on two other days.

This was a Spring Break trip, so high season and it still worked.

This obviously will not work for those staying off site who only get to choose a day at a time and 30 days out.

So, if you have the 60 day option, start choosing your more hard to get FP for the end of your stay and work backwards.

Slinky Dog, 7DMT, etc. Possibly still FEA for those who are interested.

I finally got to visit Pandora at the big inning of the month. I had heard so many amazing things about it and couldn’t wait to see it for myself. Some of the hype was justified, but to me, some of it was overblown. I love the environment that they’ve created but was let down by the rides. I really enjoyed FoP, but from the way people talked, I expected it to be the absolute best thing I’ve ever ridden in my life and was a little underwhelmed. I’ll go back for sure, and ride it again if I can score a FP+ again, but I won’t wait a few hours to ride it standby.

DCLcruiser

FoP is an amazing ride and the land, especially at night is a must see!

C5wm+IBjS72NdrivCia0bA.jpg
8Yl5xt6FQuSPQwkHEd%KEg.jpg
5AqAb9iYRY28smc7ZZY6sw.jpg

Janir

Sorry, should read “the back to front of stay trick.”

You have a better chance of obtaining the FOP FPs or any more difficult to get FP for that matter, if you plan it toward the end of a long stay at the 60 day mark.

So we planned AK for the latter part of our stay.

I briefly forgot my plan when my FP windpw opened and went to day one first. Which was fine, but was only able to grab Na’vi River.

Then I quickly remembered my plan and went to day 6 or 7 of our stay a was able to get FOP. I then worked backwards and got FOP FP on two other days.

This was a Spring Break trip, so high season and it still worked.

This obviously will not work for those staying off site who only get to choose a day at a time and 30 days out.

So, if you have the 60 day option, start choosing your more hard to get FP for the end of your stay and work backwards.

Slinky Dog, 7DMT, etc. Possibly still FEA for those who are interested.
Thanks! I used that trick last week. No FoP or Slinky Dog for us, but we can wait in line/ Drop Drop Slinky Dog, and we'll be at the AK DVC party so we should be able to get on FoP there with out too much trouble if liens get to be too long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom