question - When do they stop checking admission?

Bimmy56

Original Poster
We are going to WDW over Christmas, and staying at the Dolphin. We will get in about 7-8 at night, and I was wondering when they stop checking passes at the turnstiles, and if we will be able to slip in Epcot at 9:30 to see the laser show? We obviously don't want to burn a day of our hopper passes for such a small amount of time. If not, we'll just watch the fireworks from the beach. Thanks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
At most of the parks they check tickets right up until closing. On my last trip I went through the turnstyles 2 mins before closing, and they were checking tickets at that time.

Reflections of Earth at Epcot runs at 9pm normally, so make sure you are there at that time to see it. I have heard of people being let in without passes at the International Gateway turnstyles just before Reflections of Earth. But I wouldnt like to guarantee it.

Have you considered a length of stay pass or annual pass? If you are staying for more than about 5 days or so you may be better off.

Have fun!

:)

MrPromey

In all the times that I've been over the years (and trust me - that's a lot) I have only gotten into a park once without showing ticket media. In that instance, I was entering Animal Kingdom after 6 (closing time). At closing they open up all the gaits in the parks so that everyone can stream out more quickly and easily without having to go through the turnstiles. At this point they aren't actually letting people into the parks but it is possible to "sneak" in because they aren't exactly on high alert for people entering the park. Of course, at this point there isn't really much of a reason to go in since the only thing open are the shops towards the front. In my instance, I was trying to get to one of those shops and since they weren't actually letting people in at this point it was the only way I could get in. As for ROE, when you consider that it's the most costly attraction in Epcot to maintain on a daily basis, it's no wonder that they don't let any old Joe in off the street to see it for free. That is after all, part of what the people who paid to get in, paid for.

For what it's worth, the stop charging for parking in the last few hours...

wdwrules

we were there last in feb. and were talking to some people from the area and they said epcot doesnt check tickets after 9 and anyone can go see reflections of earth at that time. dont know if this is true but thats what we were told;)

MrPromey

Originally posted by wdwrules
we were there last in feb. and were talking to some people from the area and they said epcot doesnt check tickets after 9 and that disney actually encourages people to come see it for free at that time. dont know if this is true but thats what we were told;)

As a local, I can tell you that I have never been witness to this. SInce the park officially closes at the time ROE starts (usually 9 but was 9:30 the last time I was there) it is possible that they open the gaits at that time to allow for the heavy volume of people leaving as I stated above but they are not looking to allow more people into the parks at this point - they are trying to get them out. If you were to try getting in this way and were successful, keep in mind that you'll probably miss at least the first half of it unless you are really aggressive. The show starts at this time and it's towards the back of the park and you are going to have a lot of people trying to leave pretty much from the time the place offically closes (at 9/9:30) I don't think it would be worth it to rush through a river of people like salmon going up stream to see the tail end of the show. If you are really intent on seeing part of it, just go park at the Swan or Dolphin and watch the arial parts from behind the park.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I should add that in my opinion Reflections of Earth is worth the admission price all on its own! ;)

So pay for the ticket, and get a great spot to enjoy the show! :D

MrPromey

Originally posted by wdwmagic
I should add that in my opinion Reflections of Earth is worth the admission price all on its own! ;)

So pay for the ticket, and get a great spot to enjoy the show! :D

Agreed! :D

Plus, if you think about it logically, they really have no reason to encourage people to come to the park for free at the end of the night. At that point, they are trying to get everyone out of the park. They don't want to start packing the parking lot at the last minute and create additional traffic. Sure, since the only thing open is the shops (and Test Track) they might squeeze a few extra $$ out of a free entry but then again, that's what Downtown Disney is for...

Bimmy56

Original Poster
thanks so much

Thanks so much for that quick reply. I really appreciate it. My husband and I have to spring for 6 4 day hoppers, 2 hotel rooms, food etc. for my 3 children and 1 grandchild, so buying an extra day hopper for 6 people is a little too pricey just for Illuminations, but we will have a good time anyway. I guess that we will do Boardwalk instead that night. Really looking forward to it!!!!!

MrPromey

Re: thanks so much

Originally posted by Bimmy56
Thanks so much for that quick reply. I really appreciate it. My husband and I have to spring for 6 4 day hoppers, 2 hotel rooms, food etc. for my 3 children and 1 grandchild, so buying an extra day hopper for 6 people is a little too pricey just for Illuminations, but we will have a good time anyway. I guess that we will do Boardwalk instead that night. Really looking forward to it!!!!!

On the bright side, you can see all the arial stuff from the far end of the boardwalk (by the dance hall)

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by MrPromey

As a local, I can tell you that I have never been witness to this. SInce the park officially closes at the time ROE starts (usually 9 but was 9:30 the last time I was there) it is possible that they open the gaits at that time to allow for the heavy volume of people leaving as I stated above but they are not looking to allow more people into the parks at this point - they are trying to get them out. If you were to try getting in this way and were successful, keep in mind that you'll probably miss at least the first half of it unless you are really aggressive. The show starts at this time and it's towards the back of the park and you are going to have a lot of people trying to leave pretty much from the time the place offically closes (at 9/9:30) I don't think it would be worth it to rush through a river of people like salmon going up stream to see the tail end of the show. If you are really intent on seeing part of it, just go park at the Swan or Dolphin and watch the arial parts from behind the park.

Mr Promey, if I'm not mistaken, they mentioned that they're staying at the Dolphin...they might be able to walk down and see it from the bridge at the end of the Epcot Resort lagoon that leads to the International Gate.

MrPromey

Originally posted by marciahahn

Mr Promey, if I'm not mistaken, they mentioned that they're staying at the Dolphin...they might be able to walk down and see it from the bridge at the end of the Epcot Resort lagoon that leads to the International Gate.

That's true, they did :rolleyes: I was sleeping at work again :(

That's a good point. The reason I was saying back from the park was so that they could see over the back of world showcase (you can actually see it from the road that goes by MGM, too) but you are right, they could probably see some of the lower stuff from there, too. I'm guessing they would miss the ball and the fountains because of the bridges that connect France to the UK but other than that, they'd probably be able to see most of the rest of it... and if what Steve said about being able to get in from the back were to happen it would be even better. Either way, I guess it couldn't hurt to head over there. Especially if they were planning to stick around the boardwalk anyway. Good thinking, Mom! :)

disneydentist

Re: thanks so much

Originally posted by Bimmy56
I apologize if I'm missing the point but I don't see the problem. I you have park hopper passes then you're not using up a day to go into Epcot after you return from another park. This is the point behind a hopper pass, isn't it. Just go to any of the other parks during the day and then scoot over into Epcot afterwards.

The Mom

Premium Member
Re: Re: thanks so much

Originally posted by disneydentist

I apologize if I'm missing the point but I don't see the problem. I you have park hopper passes then you're not using up a day to go into Epcot after you return from another park. This is the point behind a hopper pass, isn't it. Just go to any of the other parks during the day and then scoot over into Epcot afterwards.

They're arriving at the resort in the evening, and didn't want to use a day from their pass just to see Illuminations that same evening.

disneydentist

Re: Re: Re: thanks so much

Originally posted by marciahahn

They're arriving at the resort in the evening, and didn't want to use a day from their pass just to see Illuminations that same evening.
Point made and noted. I see what she means now. I still think that it's easy enough to head over to Illuminations on a night other than arrival after having visited a different park that closes sooner. This way no days are wasted and they still get to see Illuminations

The Mom

Premium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: thanks so much

Originally posted by disneydentist

Point made and noted. I see what she means now. I still think that it's easy enough to head over to Illuminations on a night other than arrival after having visited a different park that closes sooner. This way no days are wasted and they still get to see Illuminations

Agreed! ;) Fortunately for me, with an annual or seasonal pass, this isn't an issue.

Monorail Lime

If you ask me, the best view of Illuminations is from the monorail. Board the epcot line at TTC just at about 9 (demanding a front cab ride of course) and if you're lucky you'll go through the teardrop during some of the big fireworks. Then you can chill in the monorail station for the rest, it has a pretty good view too.

But back to the subject... as a rule, you can NEVER enter a park without admission. It doesn't matter if it is closing time or 30 minutes after closing time. They want everyone OUT so the third shift maintenence guys can start. If someone does let you in without a ticket they are doing their job very poorly.

Fun fact: after a certain time at Tokyo Disneyland you can buy a super cheap evening pass. Apparently it is super popular among people who just want to see the night shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom